Processing Tri-X with Foma chemicals

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

pip

Processing Tri-X with Foma chemicals

Post by pip »

I am wondering whether you can assist me with some queries.

I am endeavouring to process Tri-X and Plus X with the Foma R100 processing kit.

I see from an earlier topic (to which I was unable to post a reply) that it was recommended that the Foma first processing time of 12 minutes should be reduced to 4 minutes for Plus x and 7 minutes for Tri x. Does this mean that the foma second processing time of 5 minutes should also be reduced pro rata?

The Foma instructions are not clear regarding the mixing of the chemicals. The English instructions say 1 part solution to 10 parts water, whereas the German instructions refer to 1 part solution to 5.4 parts water.

I assume 600 ml of water/solution is required to properly submerge a single super 8 film in the Lomo tank.

The lomo tank comes with a clear spacer that be can screwed into the base of the spiral which will lift the spiral away from the base of the tank. With this spacer in place, the handle which is screwed into the top of the spiral is now up to the underside of the bakelite lid. This prevents raising and lowering of the spiral for the purposes of agitation, but maybe it is necessary to prevent light leaking through the top centre of the tank?

Many thanks.
71er

Re: Processing Tri-X with Foma chemicals

Post by 71er »

Welcome to the forum!
I personally have never processed Tri-X in the Foma kit, but 7 min sound about right; 4 min for the Plus-X seem to be a little short?!
You don't have to worry about the second developing time, you can NOT overdevelop - so just stick to the 5 min.
A, C and D solutions are coming to 800 ml, solution B to 925 ml. If you have all pieces of your lomo tank and you set it together the right way the spiral should sit at the bottom AND the handle should be high enough to let no light into the tank; there will be only rotating action and no vertical movement. If you want additional vertical movement you have to work with the tank open in complete darkness (at least until re-exposure).
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
pip

Post by pip »

Thanks a lot - this is very helpful.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

71er wrote:Welcome to the forum!
I personally have never processed Tri-X in the Foma kit, but 7 min sound about right; 4 min for the Plus-X seem to be a little short?!
You don't have to worry about the second developing time, you can NOT overdevelop - so just stick to the 5 min.
A, C and D solutions are coming to 800 ml, solution B to 925 ml. If you have all pieces of your lomo tank and you set it together the right way the spiral should sit at the bottom AND the handle should be high enough to let no light into the tank; there will be only rotating action and no vertical movement. If you want additional vertical movement you have to work with the tank open in complete darkness (at least until re-exposure).
also tape up that small hole in the handle as that is also a light trap , the foma bleach is the weak part of this kit ?
pip

Post by pip »

I processed my first spool. I'm quite pleased with the results. There are frames which are perfectly developed. However, I messed up loading the spiral. I removed the film Ok from the cartridge and got the film onto the spiral. After a few revolutions, however, the film snagged - (it had become twisted as it came off its core) - and only located itself back in the spiral near the extremity of the spiral. I am a bit confused as to how the whole 50 feet managed to get onto the spiral - it was all bunched up towards the outside. If it had overflowed the spiral, I would have known something was wrong. So most of the film is a disaster. Perhaps I should transfer the spool of film onto a spool before attempting to load it onto the spiral. Can't help thinking 16mm is easier because it's on a spool in the first place. I will need to master the spiral or think of another way.
71er

Post by 71er »

I had used the Foma kit when you had to dissolve the potassium permanganate, which is part of the bleach, and I have been using it since it became a concentrated fluid to dilute. In neither case I had a problem with it. Ofcourse you have to prepare the solution immediately before use and you can only use it once.
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
beaunizo

Post by beaunizo »

pip wrote:
I assume 600 ml of water/solution is required to properly submerge a single super 8 film in the Lomo tank.

Many thanks.
The LOMO UPB-1 needs 600ml to submerse the lower deck with a Super-8 film. It is just enough.
Make sure it is horizontal and don't loose any quantities of your baths.

The Foma kits contains 8 x 300 ml to process 8 pieces 35mm still revesal films.
Usually a 35mm tank can do with a 300ml dosis.
So two doses makes just right for the LOMO
Now selling in classifieds:
New-old-stock classic ciné projector bulbs
CIR Catozzo Splicers and tape S8
Beaulieu Nizo accessoiries/parts
Daylight 8/8 CINÉ processing tank Superior bulk film