Agfa confuses me

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

71er

Agfa confuses me

Post by 71er »

On Wittner's internet site http://www.wittner-cinetec.de/neu/news2 ... 20130118-1 you find a picture http://wittner-cinetec.de/neu/grafiken/ ... 8-1a_g.jpg of a material "that could have a future in small film application." Wittner is looking for people testing the material on 16 mm now.
So is Agfa still producing film? And if yes: how did they manage to downsize their production?
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
kuparikettu

Re: Agfa confuses me

Post by kuparikettu »

Agfa-Photo became bankrupt. This is Agfa, which didn't manufacture film for private customers but for business instead. They do make film, but mostly for specialty uses, such as film used for aerial photography. The film Wittner is discussing about is probably this aerial film Aviphot (http://www.agfa.com/sp/global/en/intern ... chrome.jsp). It is cut and sold by Maco for still photography under name Rollei and Wittner might cut it for super-8 in the future. Because it's for aerial photography, it is on polyester base (which might be problematic for cameras -- although single-8 made by Fuji was polyester base as well).
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

I always wonder if that's who's supplying Lomo? I doubt Lomo is making it's own emulsions, but it's definately not Kodak or Fuji.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
BAC

Post by BAC »

kuparikettu wrote:Because it's for aerial photography, it is on polyester base (which might be problematic for cameras -- although single-8 made by Fuji was polyester base as well).
In the past you could get Super 8 in polyester base. I don't know if regular 8mm was ever made in Polyester. I believe it can damage the camera if it gets jammed. It's so strong that it wont tear when the claw is trying to force it through. I wouldn't mind getting some Aviphot Chrome 200 PE1 in regular 8mm. I wonder if Wittner's new perforating machine can handle Polyester?
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

BAC wrote:I wonder if Wittner's new perforating machine can handle Polyester?
I'd say so:
Wittner wrote:Dieser im Pulvermetallurgieverfahren hergestellte Hochleistungsstahl besitzt eine außergewöhnlich gute Verschleißfestigkeit, Zähigkeit, Härte und Schneidkantenstabilität. Wichtig, wenn man damit nicht nur Acetat, sondern auch Polyestermaterial bearbeiten will.
So Wittner is saying that this new machine is very good in its wear resistance, toughness, hardness and cutting edge strength -- which is important, when it is not used only for Acetat but also for Polyester material. :)
Pj

Post by Pj »

I have looked into this, there seems to be more manufacturers of black and white film, maybe because it’s easier to produce in smaller volumes. There are fewer manufacturers producing colour negative film as it’s a much more complicated process and even fewer who produce colour reversal as it’s the most complex of all. We all know that Kodak and Fuji are the largest manufacturers of film, but the Lucky film company also produces [or produced] both black and white and colour negative film, however it seems they may have stopped, but their web site still lists film products. Surprisingly there are other manufacturers in China and Europe that produce black and white film for ‘industrial’ purposes.

I am not sure but it looks like all the new Agfa Photo colour films such as Agfa Vista and Agfa Precisa [colour reversal] are made by Fuji. Fuji also brand films under the label of Tudor Film and it is quite possible that they produce films for Lomo and others too.
P
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

If some of you haven't yet noticed, Wittner has now made it public that they are testing Agfa Aviphot 200 in small gauge film format. Should the tests be successful, they'll be releasing it in 16mm 1R and 2R and super-8. :)

http://wittner-kinotechnik.de/neu/news2013.php

And if I have understood correctly from some comments made on Filmvorfuehrer forums, there is a good chance that this film will be cheaper than the currently available color reversal options! ;)
aj

Post by aj »

kuparikettu wrote:If some of you haven't yet noticed, Wittner has now made it public that they are testing Agfa Aviphot 200 in small gauge film format. Should the tests be successful, they'll be releasing it in 16mm 1R and 2R and super-8. :)

http://wittner-kinotechnik.de/neu/news2013.php

And if I have understood correctly from some comments made on Filmvorfuehrer forums, there is a good chance that this film will be cheaper than the currently available color reversal options! ;)
Putting their machinery to work :)

Now see if there comes DS-8 off it too.
Kind regards,

André
livio

Post by livio »

I just read the promising report on wittner web site (in english: http://translate.google.it/translate?sl ... hp&act=url). Quite enthusiastic about the PE support. But being myself the new proud owner of a Juwel striper (that, after a little bit of messing, I eventually succeded to make it work), I'm not so happy about the use of this base material. Should I, in a next future, only use the striper for black and white stock? I really hope that some other color stock (maybe Agfa as well) will come out in triacetate base. Am I hoping too much?
peaceman

Post by peaceman »

Unfortunately you are hoping too much, yes. At least all the stock Agfa Mortsel has is PE based -- some very interesting materials, 40/80/200 ASA BW and also colorneg films without a mask. I can't wait to cross process them :)

Regarding striping, rumors say that Andec in Berlin bought the striping machine from "Chris Filmtechnik" that allows striping of PE through lamination. It isn't up and running yet I guess, you might want to express your interest to Mr. Draser in case you have such...