Going away for while.....

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MovieStuff

Going away for while.....

Post by MovieStuff »

Poor time management on my part and the desire to be around other film makers has been the primary force that has kept me here on this forum. But my recent re-involvement in the unpleasant (an totally unnecessary) debate about Yale labs and the unbelievable amount of time I have to spend on my business has made me realize that I have become the very thing I have always detested: Someone that no longer has time to make films but seems to always have time to post on a film making forum. I have no doubt that others here have made the same observation. It is undeniable and something that I can muster no excuse for.

So, I'm gonna go away for a while and see if I can reconnect with the film maker in me, assuming that it still exists. Might shoot on HD, might shoot on film. I dunno. But, for me personally, this forum is too addictive and too easy to get sucked into and I could be spending that time on a film project.

I'll pop back in when I have something worthwhile to offer other than a pointless counterpoint to someone else's pointless post. I have only myself to blame, really, but the simple fact is that I can no longer consider myself a film maker, which is a very sobering thing for someone that has dedicated his life to working in and around film.

I'll be around and, hopefully, will have something to post that is more worthy of your time and Andreas' bandwith.

Cheers....

Roger
CHAS

Re: Going away for while.....

Post by CHAS »

Sorry to hear this Roger. I've always enjoyed your posts.

Well, it will be a good thing to make films again!

MovieStuff wrote:Poor time management on my part and the desire to be around other film makers has been the primary force that has kept me here on this forum. But my recent re-involvement in the unpleasant (an totally unnecessary) debate about Yale labs and the unbelievable amount of time I have to spend on my business has made me realize that I have become the very thing I have always detested: Someone that no longer has time to make films but seems to always have time to post on a film making forum. I have no doubt that others here have made the same observation. It is undeniable and something that I can muster no excuse for.

So, I'm gonna go away for a while and see if I can reconnect with the film maker in me, assuming that it still exists. Might shoot on HD, might shoot on film. I dunno. But, for me personally, this forum is too addictive and too easy to get sucked into and I could be spending that time on a film project.

I'll pop back in when I have something worthwhile to offer other than a pointless counterpoint to someone else's pointless post. I have only myself to blame, really, but the simple fact is that I can no longer consider myself a film maker, which is a very sobering thing for someone that has dedicated his life to working in and around film.

I'll be around and, hopefully, will have something to post that is more worthy of your time and Andreas' bandwith.

Cheers....

Roger
mattias

Post by mattias »

you've made the right decision. good luck with your projects. see you soon.

/matt
toby_tools

Post by toby_tools »

Roger'
I wish you good luck on your film project. Ok good luck on your Video project if you go that way. Ha ha
But otherwise this is bad news for allot of us. I might not always agree with you, but you bring a wealth of knowledge and incite to this forum.
There are allot of people just starting to use film, who need help. So if your not using or sharing the knowledge then it is just waisted! How sad is that.

Toby
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

SHOOT! Good luck and show us some when you're near finished!
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

toby_tools wrote:you bring a wealth of knowledge and incite to this forum.
Oops! Misleading typo..."insight" I think is the word. ~:?)

Roger, I know what ya mean. I think, though, that you do currently have much worthwhile to offer - it's just a matter of biting one's tongue and taking a step back from the "incitement"...not that I can do it...~:?)

Anyhoo, rock out on your filmmaking and see ya soon.

Mitch
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

Don't stay gone too long... just long enough. :)

Hope to see you in person soon...

Regards and respect,
Chris
johnnhud

Post by johnnhud »

I made the same decision some time back. It didn't take me very long before I got involved with some film makers on a little (big) indie film that's shooting local. Now I spend most my time with them.

These forums can waste your time. And if you post while you should be working, they will steal your money too!
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

Roger,

While your input is much valued here - if you feel like you need change then you need change. Change is inevitable anyway so don't resist it. The web forums are both productive and unproductive - a combination of interactivity and interpassivity. It can become pseudo-activity - an obsession of frantic activity that works to prevent *real* things from happening. You should clear the ground for real activity.

Pick a place on the map and spend a month walking to get there. Then write about your discoveries along the way. Read some books you would never read. Then make a film that is nothing like the films you made before.

all the best, see you around,

Steve
fogo

Post by fogo »

Hi Roger,

I, perhaps like many others, are going to miss your advice and well reasoned / argued points of view. I'm sure tho, that your feelings represent what many on the board feel about their own film making, or lack of it.

I don't want to drag you into a whole load of explanations when u've just explicitly stated ur taking a back seat, but any ideas what kind of project you have in mind?

I hope you'll let us know how the thing morphs, best of luck,

Ade
reflex

Post by reflex »

Moderation is a wonderful thing.

Roger: be sure to drop by with a link to your next film / book / video / painting /Super 8 invention.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

"Moderation is a wonderful thing."

Yes, it is.

Roger, have fun on your vacation.

Good Luck
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

allthough i fully understand your feelings i regret to see this happen. i have allways been impressed by your writing capacity i was surprised that you put so much energy into the Yale stuff - once again - i thought this dead horse was beaten to pieces long ago.....

my gues was allways... if you dont likem - dont usem.......

hoping that the celluloid smell leads you back very soon..... ;)

shoot......

..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
sarmoti

Post by sarmoti »

Good luck Roger, been doing that myself... It's worth it.
/Matthew Greene/
paul

Post by paul »

Yip, good luck! Don't come back before you've made a film! I am sure the film maker is still in you. We will be missing your input though, but I like people who make films. It's encouraging. I am curious for the result.

Paul