What is your REAL job?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

johnnhud

What is your REAL job?

Post by johnnhud »

Ok, I know we all like to shoot film and discuss its many aspects. But wouldn't it be interesting to know what everyone’s real job is? Are you lucky enough to actually have a job that involves working with film? Or is your job simply a means to be able to afford film, processing & telecine.

Let's post our real jobs!
johnnhud

Post by johnnhud »

Me first.... I own an Insurance office, and it allows me to be able to afford my cool S8mm toys!
jean

Post by jean »

real job: product manager responsible for software, not even closely related to filming!
have fun!
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Real job: Telecine operator. I transfer 8mm film each and every day, all day... :D
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:Real job: Telecine operator. I transfer 8mm film each and every day, all day... :D
My 3 year old just saw your photo and said, "Daddy, that man is angry."

I told him probably not all the time.
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

Good idea, this thread!

I work as a communications consultant for Denmark's fifth largest company, the power company DONG Energy (Don't laugh, it's true!)

My job does not include filming, but a lot of still photography and story telling, both visual and text based. I also spend lots of time at our coffee machine and reading the news paper (part of the job). And the place I work has been honoured with best work canteen in Denmark 2006, nice.

michael
Uppsala BildTeknik

Will2 wrote:My 3 year old just saw your photo and said, "Daddy, that man is angry."

I told him probably not all the time.
Ha ha ha! I made this picture to show a friend of mine how happy I was when I had to use a modem for several weeks because some idiot. When you are used to having broadband it is pure hell to use a modem.

I thought the picture looked so crazy that I just had to use it for my avatar. :D
reflex

Post by reflex »

I design electronic music devices - synthesizers and MIDI controllers.

Oh, and I also work for smallformat magazine. :)
Last edited by reflex on Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote: I had to use a modem for several weeks because some idiot.
Weird reason. ~:?)

I too have the job of telecine operator...like gettin' paid to look at flowers, ain't it? Well, as long as the footage looks good, anyway.

Mitch
Uppsala BildTeknik

Yep, weird reason.

I was changing to a new ISP because they promised me a faster connection, I even called then and personally checked that it was possible. It turned out that they in fact could not provide any connection for me at all. They didn´t even contact me to tell me. I had to go back to my old ISP that needed like 3 weeks to get me aaa new connection.

Because of some idiot. The idiot that "checked" that they could give me a fast connection.

Filmtransferring is nice, as long as they don´t bring me like 100 50ft reels in a bag. Like the client I am currently scanning. For real. And the splices keep breakin all the time. For real. Makes me happy that I don´t charge extra for splices or for small reels. Yippiiieee!!! :cry:

And it doesen´t even look any good. :(

But the client before this "smallreeler" had very nice footage. It was fun! :D
astro_tiki

Post by astro_tiki »

Hey Reflex, are you responsible for Retro Thing? Love that site!

Jobwise, I'm a Program Analyst for a large education-based non-profit in downtown Portland. My dream job is designing title sequences for feature films.
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

I manage a software engineering team in the video division of Polycom, "the collaborative communications company". You have all likely used our "starfish" conference room phones, or at least seen them on TV and in movies. We don't make those here. Here in Austin, we make videoconferencing equipment.

I'm surrounded by cameras, old and new, not a one of them worth a damn for telecine. :( ;)
reflex

Post by reflex »

astro_tiki wrote:Hey Reflex, are you responsible for Retro Thing? Love that site!
Yeah, I'm co-author of the site with a filmmaker named Bohus Blahut who's currently working on a retro documentary for PBS in Chicago.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
JCook

Post by JCook »

I'm an electrical engineer supporting the NOAA/DMSP satellite ground system. I'm also a full time father of three which keeps me as busy at home as when I'm away at work.

Some day I'll retire from both of the above jobs and have more time to play with my Super 8 toys...
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I'm a Creative Director for a small but very busy agency in Dallas. I Handle print, web, video & motion graphics for several major radio networks and talent.

Film is my guilty pleasure for family footage.