Cool 16mm viewer!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MovieStuff

Cool 16mm viewer!

Post by MovieStuff »

What Cosmonauts would use to watch 16mm film in space, I guess:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1
pinata2000

Post by pinata2000 »

wow is that ever cool, if I had the money I would bid on it .
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

weird, I just came by that a few minutes ago. looking for a 16mm viewer with a decent size screen. that one is a little much, but the rest always seem to have tiny screens.
100D and Vision 3 please
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

That thing is very cool. Certainly not $1k+ cool, but I might pay the $375 starting price...

T-scan, you should keep your eyes open for a Minette 16mm viewer. I have one and love it. The screen isn't huge, but it's bright enough and it's bigger than most that I have seen.
mojotrancer

Post by mojotrancer »

I have no use for this. I don't get to shoot much 16mm. But I want it anyway. It's just too darn cool.
Baby, I'm not from Havana!

Aaron

http://www.chancestudios.com
Angus

Post by Angus »

At 160lbs I don't think they'd have taken it into space....but it is very cool nonetheless!
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

I use to work with the RTI version of that machine.The one I worked with had a digital speech processor that enabled you to view film at 2.5 times normal speed and have the pitch remain the same.You could view a two hour movie in 45 minutes.It also inspected the print and stopped down when it hit a bad splice,damaged perfs or defects in the sound track.

Pretty cool for 1980 technology.One of the most boring dead end jobs I ever worked,TV station film editor,suprised I lasted the 10 months I worked it.
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
DriveIn

Post by DriveIn »

I think this one took a mid-auction price hike. Wasn't this $900+ or something. Now the Starting bid is $2650. :? 8O
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

"The one I worked with had a digital speech processor that enabled you to view film at 2.5 times normal speed and have the pitch remain the same."

Factoid: In Japan, a standard feature on many VCRs was a 1.5x mode that (IIRC) kept the pitch the same. This was so movies would not take as long to watch - back in the late '80s and early '90s, when Japanese were busy...
jean

Post by jean »

HA! I take advantage of this thread to ask a question I'm having since I first saw such devices:

WHAT are those gazillion of wheels good for that make the film take such a funny zig-zag way from spool to spool? It looks absolutely cool, but whats the purpose? Anyone clue me in, or has a good link?

Since I don't even know what it's called I cant even search wikepedia for it..
have fun!
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Well I guess some of it might be filmtension sensors?
At least they are on the Flashscan8, if the film gets too tight or too loose the scanner stops. A nice safety feature. :)

On both sides of the "scanning-head" so to speak. Gives a few extra zig-zags. :)