my fastest K40 turnaround

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jean

my fastest K40 turnaround

Post by jean »

..one week. Sent off in germany on monday, 8 days later I get the processsed roll in my mail!

I used to wait 2-3 weeks in the last years.

BTW - the roll has a story. Due to my day job, I have not spent so much time abynore with filmmaking in the last year, and I had only a vague idea that the k40 processing is going to end this summer.

My girfriends dad passed away in the mid-80s, her family has moved several times since then, and her dad's belongings ended up in storage for the last 6 years. She just had to move again, and decided to also end that long lasting storage (hiring a storage only makes sense for either a very short period of time or to hide drugs or something), since cost was prohibitive. While we hauled the stuff to a temporary place to select the things she was going to keep, we opened one box out of curiosity. It contained a lot of super8 gear, and a nice Nizo. Now guess what, in the Nizo was a half used cart, sitting there for more than 20 years - the last things her dad filmed.

I rushed back to this forum to check the k40 processing, and was happy to learn that kodak still processes k40, after doublechecking the address I finally put it in the mail.

One week later, with a time gap of more than 20 years, my girlfriend saw her dad's last film, projected with his projector. I think few home movies have ever had such an impact, let alone found file on one of grandpas harddisks. The film has faded colors, but the quality is quite acceptable. On top, her dad was a gifted filmer, I must admit his movies look a lot better that mine..

It was just a matter of luck that we checked that box, out of 30 heavy boxes. Some weeks later, and there would have been no way to have it processed..
have fun!
Angus

Post by Angus »

In the forseeable future you can still send the film to Dwaynes in the USA...but you'll have to pay for processing.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
jean

Post by jean »

hey, that's good news, I didn't know that! So the next found film will not necessarily be lost.
have fun!
Blin

Post by Blin »

Can you still send the film to Switzerland for free processing even if you don't have the original pre-paid mailer? On the weekend I found a roll of exposed Kodakchrome at my father-in-law's house with expiry date of 1977 on it. I know it probably won't turn out but I figured I might as well send it in.
Stevedix

Post by Stevedix »

Blin wrote:Can you still send the film to Switzerland for free processing even if you don't have the original pre-paid mailer? On the weekend I found a roll of exposed Kodakchrome at my father-in-law's house with expiry date of 1977 on it. I know it probably won't turn out but I figured I might as well send it in.
I "inherited" two K40 cartridges along with a Bauer I recently bought. One had the envelope, the other didn't. I sent both in - one using the envelope, and one in a padded envelope. I addressed them to the Swiss address quoted on the prepaid envelope.

Both came back at the exact same time - 8 days. They'd clearly been joined together for processing.

So the answer seems to be "yes", at least if you're in Europe.
jean

Post by jean »

I bought a couple of mailers at ebay, they must be some 30 years old judging by the logo and font. Kodak has always accepted them.

I have a cart of pocket 110 kodchrome, I am very curious how it will turn out! But I have somehow intimidated by the idea that I'm burning the last existing 110 cart on this planet for trivial stuff, I'll have to force myself to shoot anything.
have fun!
Angus

Post by Angus »

Blin wrote:Can you still send the film to Switzerland for free processing even if you don't have the original pre-paid mailer? On the weekend I found a roll of exposed Kodakchrome at my father-in-law's house with expiry date of 1977 on it. I know it probably won't turn out but I figured I might as well send it in.
You do not need the mailer.

It has no value other than as an envelope.

Simply put the film in any strong envelope (or jiffy bag or a box if you prefer) and send it to Swizerland with a covering letter that you are sorry, you lost the mailing envelope.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

Oops - I misread the thread as "My Last-est K40 Turnaround" :)
Stevedix

Post by Stevedix »

audadvnc wrote:Oops - I misread the thread as "My Last-est K40 Turnaround" :)
Well, for me, it was my last "official" K40 turnaround, excluding the wittnerchrome 40 I sent yesterday, which isn't "official Kodak". I'd quite forgotten the excitement of recieving your reels back in the post.

When I started filming in the 80s, a friend leant me a Quarz 5 standard 8 camera. At that time, std-8 was beginning to be hard to find, and I'm sure I managed to get through the last reels of K25 and 40 in Stafford.

Later, I was leant an Agfa Moviexoom 10. Oh the relief of being able to get the film over the counter! I did try Boots own-brand super 8, but can't remember if it looked as good as K40.

I'll have to rescue my reels when I go over to visit my parents.
Ericus

Post by Ericus »

I sent three rolls in one envelope to Lausanne this Monday, it came back in one envelope this morning (Friday), so this was my fastest K40 turnaround ever(only 5 days), and sadly the latest. The films looked great, happy ending for my K40 era :P
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...I called Kodak before mailing some K40 out on Monday July 24th from Seattle. I sent it to the old New Jersey address in pre-paid mailers and the Kodak rep said it will get forwarded to the Kodak (??) lab. The film is expired and technically so are the mailers. I'll let you all know what happens.

Steve