Filming in a graveyard

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Angus

Filming in a graveyard

Post by Angus »

Hey gang,

I am seriously considering making a short film set in a graveyard.
I am wondering what permissions I'd need to seek...Prior to this I've never considered exhibiting my work (other than a few shots on the internet) but I'd be looking to submit this to a few festivals.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears »

Angus,

Your first stop would be the Vicar. Take it from there. If the vicar green lights you, you will be ok, and as long as you are not intending to desecrate any graves (i.e make a zombie movie) you should be ok on the angry relatives front.

I once had to contact the Bishop of Chichester to get permission to film in a churchyard!

Jamie
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

nobody will be able to answer this question without knowing the graveyard since there are "public" ones (owned by the government), "private" ones (owned by churches, museums, ... ) and mixtures of both forms.
Best advice is to visit the graveyard and search for a sign with the opening times and some rules (like "no camping",...). In most cases those signs are signed by the "owner".
In most "Christian countries" you'll find a flower shop near the graveyards. They should know more, too.

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
Andersens Tears

jpolzfuss wrote:Hi,

nobody will be able to answer this question without knowing the graveyard since there are "public" ones (owned by the government), "private" ones (owned by churches, museums, ... ) and mixtures of both forms.
Best advice is to visit the graveyard and search for a sign with the opening times and some rules (like "no camping",...). In most cases those signs are signed by the "owner".
In most "Christian countries" you'll find a flower shop near the graveyards. They should know more, too.

Jörg
Easier just to ask the vicar! :wink:
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Andersens Tears wrote:Easier just to ask the vicar! :wink:
That's true - as long as the graveyard belongs to a single church.
But here in Berlin some graveyards are "owned" by the town or town-district, while others are co-used by several churches (sometimes even "mixed": protestantic and catholic parishes). The local Muslemic and Jewish graveyards won't have a "vicar", too.

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

When we did "Forever Evil" back in 87, we had a similar problem and I learned alot about the laws governing cemetaries. Can't speak for laws in the UK but in the US, each gravesite is considered private property, each owned by someone different, so you are essentially shooting in a mine field and must be very careful where you step and what you photograph. You are not really allowed to step on the gravesites nor photograph the names on the tombstones. However, if the cemetary management allows you to shoot on the premises, they most likely will mandate that you shoot only the backsides of the grave markers or make them out of focus so as to avoid any type of potential litigation from the families, should they happen to see Uncle Bob's name and gravestone on the silver screen in the future. When you think about it, there is really nothing you can offer the management of the graveyard to make it worth their risk. They are not going to get increased business from the venture, so they certainly do not want the publicity and they pretty much face nothing but complaints from the families, should they get wind of it. Your best bet is probably to slip the night watchman a quick buck. ;)

Roger
Andersens Tears

jpolzfuss wrote:
Andersens Tears wrote:Easier just to ask the vicar! :wink:
That's true - as long as the graveyard belongs to a single church.
But here in Berlin some graveyards are "owned" by the town or town-district, while others are co-used by several churches (sometimes even "mixed": protestantic and catholic parishes). The local Muslemic and Jewish graveyards won't have a "vicar", too.

Jörg
Sure, however (and I am assuming) *most* - and not all (there are of course other forms of faith) churches in England are 'Church of England' and will have a vicar. If Angus were to contact the vicar, 90% of the answers will come from him. :wink: :
Andersens Tears

MovieStuff wrote:When we did "Forever Evil" back in 87, we had a similar problem and I learned alot about the laws governing cemetaries. Roger
Sounds cool! Super 8? :wink:

MovieStuff wrote:Your best bet is probably to slip the night watchman a quick buck. ;)Roger

:D

... or perhaps a 'donation' to the church fund?

It all depends I guess on what Angus wants to shoot. I still think it's best he contacts the vicar first, and then all other points can be dealt with after this.

I've shot in churchyards before, and I've found a quick word with the vicar and keeping him informed of when you will be there is all you need. I agree that this won't cover all types of film shoots! :wink:
Angus

Post by Angus »

I don't imagine my idea would be at all worrying to the church.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

We tried that, Bristol Cine Club two years ago and it did not fly. Way too complicated to get permissions. It is a large club with real actors. Much paperwork and many meetings later, all we got was some beer and a good time.
You can't even film on the streets anymore.
Pittsburgh PA USA
regular8mm
16mmfilmmaking
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Don't bother getting real 'permission.' Find a desolate graveyard and shoot off peak hours, as quickly as possible. Or find one associated with a university (?) that may be non-religious by definition. At my brother's school there's a graveyard full of very old burials of alumni, etc. and student films constantly use it without issue.
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

I was in a small town in rural Virginia a few days back, and found a graveyard from the 1830's in an abandoned lot. Somebody was tending the grass, but from what I could see the lot was wide open for public use.
Robert Hughes
Angus

Post by Angus »

Can't think of any graveyards that are off the beaten track anywhere around here...England is a small place and the churches were traditionally at the centre of every town/village....and every cemetary I've come across is attached to a church.

My idea doesn't require filming details of the stones, though I did consider making an acceptable substitute for one possible close shot.

I'd imagine if all was planned well a couple of hour long sessions in failing light would be all I need. I intend the film to be five to ten minutes long in the end, and the setting is a graveyard to give it an eerie atmosphere...conceivably many shots could be filmed elsewhere.

Can't see any church objecting, at present the idea includes events that seem supernatural but end up being earthly. Its the setting that makes the characters (and audience) spooked.
Andersens Tears

Evan Kubota wrote:Don't bother getting real 'permission.' Find a desolate graveyard and shoot off peak hours, as quickly as possible.
nah.. it works better if you ask.. unless you think the guerilla ethic applies -

that way you know you're ok to be there and not have to look over your shoulder all the time.

Besides, I'm sure if Angus takes a long a little super 8 camera, most people wouldn't batter an eyelid.

I would get permission for piece of mind. :wink:

But then it's up to Angus!
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Generally, I've found that if you ask, the answer is 'no'. At least in the US. Content has nothing to do with it; people are simply so lazy and afraid of litigation that they have no incentive to permit any sort of activity on their property.