Vision2 test footage

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Yemi

Vision2 test footage

Post by Yemi » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:22 am

Last week I received my processed Vision2 test footage back from Forde labs. along with a miniDV transfer courtesy of Flying Spot. I'm very happy with the results and I expect to shoot a lot more Vision2 negative in the future. The latitude of these films is awesome when compared to K40 and the colors are excellent. Take a look and let me know what you think.

I shot footage @ 24fps using my arsenal of Canons (518SV,814E and 814XL-S) along with my Iscorama 54 x1.5 anamorphic that yields a 2:1 widescreen format. No special lighting and shaky hand-held work!

Vision2 200T shot with the 814XL-S. Auto exposure rates the film at 100ASA with daylight filter:
http://www.stanford.edu/~yemi/yemiCom/t ... 00t_od.mov

Vision2 200T shot with the 518SV. Auto exposure rates the film at 100ASA with daylight filter. This camera took me by suprise! With a compact 5:1 zoom, it's a great match for the Iscorama (no vignetting!)
http://www.stanford.edu/~yemi/yemiCom/t ... 00t_od.mov

The 518SV's lens seems to be a touch sharper than the 814E when the iris is wide open as is the case with this indoor shot. Auto exposure rates the film at 160ASA without the filter:
http://www.stanford.edu/~yemi/yemiCom/t ... 00t_in.mov

Viva Vision2

------
Yemi

sunrise

Post by sunrise » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:46 am

Wow, great!

Did Flying Spot do the grain removal thing or was it from the overexposure? There is very little grain on these shots.

michael

filmbuff

Post by filmbuff » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:46 am

It looks great :!:

If I ever plan a S8 to video project I know what stock to shoot on :)

Yemi

Post by Yemi » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:00 am

sunrise wrote:Wow, great!

Did Flying Spot do the grain removal thing or was it from the overexposure? There is very little grain on these shots.

michael
Flying spot did a good job with the transfer. The grain is visible in the DV footage but the MPEG4 Quicktime compression helped soften things a bit.
What really excites me is the latitude....there's so much detail revealed in the shadows.

------
Yemi

steve hyde

Post by steve hyde » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:55 am

looks nice. Did Flying Spot color correct for each scene?

Cheers,

Steve

super8film

Post by super8film » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:09 am

Wow...excellent transfer! Would it be possible for you to post a short, uncompressed, full-size clip of your transfer in DV or AVI format so that we could view it on our own TVs? I'm sure that it could be uploaded to this forum's FTP server if you've run out of hosting space.

I think you mentioned something about auto-exposure in your initial post, but did you shoot all of these in auto exposure mode, or did you meter manually? Also, would you mind sharing how much Flying Spot charged for the transfer, and how many carts were transfered for the price?

Yemi

Post by Yemi » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:21 am

steve hyde wrote:looks nice. Did Flying Spot color correct for each scene?

Cheers,

Steve
I doubt it since they charged me a minimal $100 dollars for 4 rolls....maybe they tweaked a couple of knobs initially.

-------
Yemi

Yemi

Post by Yemi » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:26 am

super8film wrote:Wow...excellent transfer! Would it be possible for you to post a short, uncompressed, full-size clip of your transfer in DV or AVI format so that we could view it on our own TVs? I'm sure that it could be uploaded to this forum's FTP server if you've run out of hosting space.

I think you mentioned something about auto-exposure in your initial post, but did you shoot all of these in auto exposure mode, or did you meter manually? Also, would you mind sharing how much Flying Spot charged for the transfer, and how many carts were transfered for the price?
I'll think about posting higher quality versions. All of the metering was automatic. I wanted to see how flexible the film was for quick-and-dirty shoots which is how I tend to get it done. Overexposing by 1/3 of an f-stop is no problem for negative film. Eric Rosen at Flying Spot charged me $100 to transfer 4 rolls. I think that is an introductory price.

------
Yemi

Santo

Post by Santo » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:56 am

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting to see some Vision2 200T clips. Sure looks good. Looks to be a super improvement grain-wise over the old if this compressed clip is any indicator. V2 100T must be phenominal. Too bad the ultimate super 8 negative is exclusively in the hands of Pro8 and Kodak isn't using their heads.

It looks to be pretty firm image, Yemi. How would you rate it next to K40 in your cameras stability-wise?

Dave Hardy

Post by Dave Hardy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:00 am

Hi Yemi,

Thanks forr posting your test footage. It's noticeably more grainy than 16mm neg. but not objectionable. Looks very nice, autoexposure obvious on the exterior shots. Do you still have your 6008 camera? Have you shot any neg. tests with the 6008 & the Isco lens? The film damage at 6 sec. on the interrior shot did that result from Forde's processing, Flying Spot's transfer or is it an artifact of the the compression you used to post to the web. looks similar to a film burn.

Dave

super8film

Post by super8film » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:49 am

I have a question regarding your 2:1 aspect ratio, Yemi. Did you use your anamorphic to squeeze the 2:1 image on the entire film frame and then have Flying Spot unsqueeze the image during transfer, or was an upper and lower portion of each frame unused due to the 2:1 aspect ratio? I'm not too familiar with S8 anamorphic, so I'd be interested to find out how this was done. Thanks!

Yemi

Post by Yemi » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:02 am

Santo wrote:Thanks for posting this. Very interesting to see some Vision2 200T clips. Sure looks good. Looks to be a super improvement grain-wise over the old if this compressed clip is any indicator. V2 100T must be phenominal. Too bad the ultimate super 8 negative is exclusively in the hands of Pro8 and Kodak isn't using their heads.

It looks to be pretty firm image, Yemi. How would you rate it next to K40 in your cameras stability-wise?
Hi Santo.

Sorry but I forgot to mention that I used the framemaster pressure plate!
Stability looks good to me but a good test would be to shoot test cards with the camera mounted on a tripod. Yeah, I'm wondering about 100T too....

--------
Yemi

Yemi

Post by Yemi » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:09 am

Dave Hardy wrote:Hi Yemi,

Thanks forr posting your test footage. It's noticeably more grainy than 16mm neg. but not objectionable. Looks very nice, autoexposure obvious on the exterior shots. Do you still have your 6008 camera? Have you shot any neg. tests with the 6008 & the Isco lens? The film damage at 6 sec. on the interrior shot did that result from Forde's processing, Flying Spot's transfer or is it an artifact of the the compression you used to post to the web. looks similar to a film burn.

Dave
Hi Dave.
I sold the 6008 some time ago after getting it serviced by Bjorn. Bit too 'nice' for my work. I need something more rugged. The Isco would work well with a compact lens....I think the Angenieux 8-64mm would be the best c-mount super8 zoom. Steer clear of the bigger lenses because they're more prone to vignetting and you don't want to hang too much weight on the c-mount either. I see the mark you're referring to...it must be from processing...nothing to do my preparation of the clips.

------
Yemi

Yemi

Post by Yemi » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:17 am

super8film wrote:I have a question regarding your 2:1 aspect ratio, Yemi. Did you use your anamorphic to squeeze the 2:1 image on the entire film frame and then have Flying Spot unsqueeze the image during transfer, or was an upper and lower portion of each frame unused due to the 2:1 aspect ratio? I'm not too familiar with S8 anamorphic, so I'd be interested to find out how this was done. Thanks!
The anamorphic squeezes the 2:1 image into the 4:3 super8 frame (you see a squeezed image in the viewfinder). Flying Spot did nothing special. The footage was transferred just like regular 4:3 footage to miniDV. Now, you could ask them to unsqueeze the image but they would have to letterbox it in the 4:3 miniDV frame and you would lose resolution.

I did the unsqueezing myself in software by simply stretching the frame to 2:1 dimensions (the clips I posted are 480x240). I also used a '3:2 pulldown removal' feature to get back to 24fps progressive from 29.97fps NTSC.
I used (Media) Cleaner on the Mac to do this but I think After Effects, Cinema Tools and other programs will do the job too.

-------
Yemi

T-Scan

Post by T-Scan » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:48 am

Thanks for sharing! been curious too see more V2 200t in daylight. I'm confused about the ASA of 100.. does it have to do with the notch system? I think 200T is 125 daylight with filter 85.. but the camera notches at 160?