Kodak ends 16mm Kodachrome 40 production 12/31

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mr8mm

Kodak ends 16mm Kodachrome 40 production 12/31

Post by mr8mm » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:47 pm

Kodak will cease production of all 16mm kodachrome products dec. 31. that includes 16mm, DS8 and Reg 8mm. I am planning one last Kodachrome order. If you are interested in any of these products, let me know the quantity and I will include in my order. When the order arrives i will let you know and you can send payment.

John Schwind

thebigidea

Post by thebigidea » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:10 pm

They wouldn't sell me any k40 ds8 when I tried, quoting the catalog numbers you've posted.

But if you can get it, i'd love 10 rolls of ds8 spooled down to 25 footers.

Will2

Post by Will2 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:13 am

So they are doing one last batch in December or is it already done?

Last time I talked to Kodak they said they make a 16mm run a couple times a year (or less) and it sits until its gone and they decide to make more. In other words its not a continuous thing.

mr8mm

Post by mr8mm » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:03 am

Kodak informed me that they will discontinue all Kodachrome cat#'s as of 12/31.

John Schwind

DriveIn

Post by DriveIn » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:08 pm

mr8mm

Post by mr8mm » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:16 am

Dwaynes has indicated that they are committed to processing all Kodachrome stocks for at least three more years. Longer if demand warrants.

John S.

JCook

Post by JCook » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Does this affect Kodak's Kodachrome 35mm color slide film too?

Angus

Post by Angus » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:54 pm

Best guess is that they will continue with the 35mm slide film for a while. Otherwise they would have simply let the Swiss lab run a few months longer and shut down the whole Kodachrome system worldwide early next year.

But I do fear that Kodak have in mind the end of 35mm Kodachrome slide film.

Utter stupidity.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)

super8man

Post by super8man » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:15 am

Sort of like Microsoft dropping windows (stop wishing) and going over completely to Zune production...Yes, to end Kodachrome (it starts with the same letters are KODAK - du-oh) is a major faux pas in marketing...but I am beating a dead horse. No worries, if Kodak wants me to shoot digital, they must know best. Afterall, Miami Vice was really good.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/

Angus

Post by Angus » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:51 pm

Time for Paul Simon to re-release his song...
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)

thebrowniecameraguy

Post by thebrowniecameraguy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:55 am

Well, I have been making regular 8mm movies now since 1998, so I have been shooting film for 8 years now. I have nearly elapsed the time my grandfather shot home movies before he decided home movies weren't as practical as pictures.

I new this was coming, I am so happy with the kodachrome 25/40 reels I have of my friends and family but I WANT MORE!!!! :cry:

I think he stopped because of the super 8 era begining. The last home movie I have of his if from August '66, my mothers 12th birthday. I remember asking my grandmother why he (my grandfather, he passed before I got to talk to him about his movies) stopped shooting film. She really didn't know why. The family enjoyed watching all the movies and he was very talented with a simple Brownie camera. He had a great eye for framing scenes with color and detail, not too mention staging the subjects. Everyone has to wave at least twice!

I think he stopped because the local shop that carried 8mm film, Walgreens, went out of business. I know Kodak Dallas at the time supplied 8mm film as well as several other Metroplex area camera stores, so it was still available when he stopped. I think once the local film supply stopped he stopped. Sad.

But back to Kodachrome, what news! This is depressing, but if I can get Ektachrome in reg 8mm I'll survive.

Cheers, all is not lost as long as 16mm anything can be double 8 perforated!

Jordan
I'm back, I'm back- thebrowniecameraguy is back! I still have my Brownie 8mm Turret f/1.9! Time to play!

Angus

Post by Angus » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:34 am

I think you'll do OK with ektachrome 100D in reg 8. I got some more of that in super 8 back from Wittner (no doubt via Andec) and it really is gorgeous...but over-zealous on reds though...

My grandfather shot reg 8 up until his death in 1972...shame he died just two months before I came along. Discovering his old Quarz camera and three reels of my parents' wedding was a huge motivator for me to get into shooting film. I could never understand my dad's reluctance, he'd never shot cine film before and so didn't want to go to the hassle of working out how the camera and its add-on lenses worked (russian instructions)..or of buying a projector etc...he's a still print man through and through...

woods01

Post by woods01 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:59 am

My grandpa bought a bolex 8mm in the early 60s and used it in fits and
stops for nearly 20 years. Most of his film is of course from the 60s when
the camera was a new toy. Then over the last 10 years it seems he'd
buy a few rolls and shoot then forget about it for a few years. His last
reels are from 1979. He said he stopped using it because finding film was
impossible in the 1980s. He bought a video camera in 1989.

He died a few years ago, I think he'd laugh at the idea that his favorite
stock from back then is being cancelled now. He thought it was cancelled
25 years ago!