Wolverine 8mm and Super 8 Movie Reels to Digital MovieMaker

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Mana

Re: Wolverine 8mm and Super 8 Movie Reels to Digital MovieMaker

Post by Mana » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:32 pm

R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4

Mana

Post by Mana » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:02 am

Well it was $175, and looks like they sold out at that price...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... per_8.html

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

Tscan

Post by Tscan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:01 pm

Here's the 1080P version for $399, looks a little different
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... per_8.html
Reborn member since Sept 2003

Mana

Post by Mana » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:46 am

Yep, new version is better, but now 20fps? :-\

Will2

Post by Will2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:54 pm

The only reason these are tempting to me is the price...about what one batch of quality film scans winds up costing. Would be nice to have something to preview reels in the digital world.

Pj

Post by Pj » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:10 pm

I understand, these scanners have been talked about a lot, they seem to be marketed by different brands, the Wolverine, Reflecta and Winait are some, I’m sure there are others too. I want to share my personal experiences, the low price of these units is very attractive and they look cute too, the new model accepts the larger 400 foot spools, which is handy, a great plus, but the scans are truly horrible, I feel that I get better images on my manual Super 8 editor. I was so intrigued I had to get hold of one; I think there are a few reasons for the awful scans;

1. These scanners use a fairly basic 1/3 sensor, coupled with a cheap plastic lens

2. The film is not always steady. I have noticed that if the film has splices or worn sprockets the film will not run smoothly, it will cause registration problems and jittery images. Even if the film has very slightly worn sprockets, which can happen even after a few screenings as, is probably the case with most old film. The claw seems to be a little weak and doesn’t seem to be as strong as claws from old Super 8 projectors.

We must remember that this is a claw based scanner; the film is pulled by the claw and when it retracts [it seems, I can’t fully tell yet] it [crudely] brushes against a micro-switch which tells the camera to capture and save.

If you thread new film straight from the lab that has no splices it seems to transport it flawlessly and very smoothly, the scans are incredibly steady, although the picture is still horrible. I like the back-light which gives a very even light and the gate, which is mostly plastic but it’s good too.

Overall it has a very cheap plastic feel, the rollers aren’t really rollers could scratch precious film, but I'm sure they can be easily replaced. I feel that this is a pretty decent film transport system only for new film, perhaps the claw needs to be strengthened and its relationship with the micro-switch could be better. In my opinion the middle part of the unit, with the internal camera, lens and visible LCD unit should be removed and thrown away so that you can fit any camera with a macro lens and then all you need is a connection from the micro-switch to the camera’s remote, a basic mirror less camera will produce better images.

Pav

Will2

Post by Will2 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:12 pm

Good to hear from someone who's actually used one and it's basically what I would have expected. Just barely good enough to see what you have maybe but not to actually do much with.