Processing Kodak 16mm 7363 B&W to Neg.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

deVere

Processing Kodak 16mm 7363 B&W to Neg.

Post by deVere » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:18 pm

I've just purchased some Kodak 16mm 7363 (10ASA) reperforated for my Standard 8 camera. I know that the process to develop to negative is Kodak D-97, followed by Kodak F-5 Fix. Does anyone know how to get hold of this chemistry (I'm UK based) or if there are any other processes that can develop to neg. that I might be able to use? At uni we have a pretty well-equipped darkroom and standard chemistry for most B&W. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions, Dominic.

deVere

Re: Processing Kodak 16mm 7363 B&W to Neg.

Post by deVere » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:36 pm

Found some info. about possibly processing in either Ilford ID-11 or Ilford Microphen. Has anyone had any experience of trying either of these?

christoph

Post by christoph » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:54 am

hiya,

both, ID-11 and Microphon developers should work ok.
ID-11 is a better all-round developer, so i would give that a shot first, but the differences with this film are most likely very small.

both of them should result in slightly lower contrast then D-97 would (which is *very* high contrast with this film, as it's used for sound negatives) .
if you want to try to lower contrast, generally diluting the developer and only minimal movement during the developing period could help.

personally i'd try Kodak X-tol diluted 1+3, which should still result in higher then normal contrast but maybe also some gray tones, very fine grain and good exposure speed.

hope that helps to get you started, experiment with short 10cm snippets to find the right time and look you want.

++ christoph

ps: where did you get the film? and do they also sell it in 16mm?

deVere

Post by deVere » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:24 am

Thanks Christoph,

I have access to x-tol far more readily than I do ID-11 so very happy about that suggestion, hopefully will attempt some processing tomorrow. I purchased the film from Edward Nowill of Putney, London. I buy Fuji Velvia and 7373 from him re-perforated to Standard 8, I don't think he sells 16mm though but might be worth asking as he is very helpful and good value for money. If you would like his contact details pm me,

Thanks again,

Dominic.

christoph

Post by christoph » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:24 pm

one thing i forgot to mention is that, if you use diluted developer, you have to make sure that you use enough solution to prevent exhaustion, and that you shouldnt reuse it for several rolls..

kodak recommends 100ml of stock solution for per roll of 135-36, or 516cm2 of film, which means one roll of std8 film is about three times as much (or in other words 300ml xtol + 900ml water for 1+3). they also advice against using high dilutions in areas with water problems. i never experienced problems though, and 1+1 should be fine pretty much everywhere.
you could squeeze out a bit more capacity by using it stock and regenerating or prolonging developing times, but the upside of diluting and using one-shot is that you always get consistent and best results. i think this is the best way to go because x-tol is very affordable (5l is about 8EUR here, so that's about 30cents per 300ml of stock solution) and processing times are likely rather critical with such a high contrast film.

++ christoph

deVere

Post by deVere » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi Christoph,

We had some really excellent results using 1-3 dilution with Xtol, we ran 5 test strips at 3 minute intervals and found that our best processing time was 9 minutes. I made the mistake of reusing the chemistry so ruined a test roll. Going to run some further tests next week on a 20ft roll so will report back on our results.

Thanks!

Dominic.

Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:05 pm

deVere wrote:...Does anyone know how to get hold of this chemistry (I'm UK based) or if there are any other processes that can develop to neg. that I might be able to use? At uni we have a pretty well-equipped darkroom and standard chemistry for most B&W. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions, Dominic.
Try rolling your own. Tis' all right here:

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:uL ... cd=1&gl=us

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:59 pm

Has anyone tried developing this in D-76??
Would that be a bad idea??

richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:23 am

Tyler wrote:Has anyone tried developing this in D-76??
Would that be a bad idea??
g'day Tyler,
it will process just as well in D76, no problem. Any low contrast developer like this will give you a good chance at getting some intermediate greys out of this stock. Remeber, this is a blue sensitive only stock, so you can process it with a safe light on.
rt
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au