Replacement Beaulieu 3008/5008 charger?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Yemi

Replacement Beaulieu 3008/5008 charger?

Post by Yemi » Thu May 05, 2005 9:18 pm

Hi There.

Can anyone suggest/confirm a cheap battery charger (for the US) that is compatible with the Beaulieu 3008/5008 models. The cameras appear to have a conventional jack (7.2v??) but I'd rather not risk damaging my baby.
(It takes great images).

Chambless sell a charger but it costs over $100 ..........

------
Yemi

aj

Post by aj » Thu May 05, 2005 11:07 pm

You can use other chargers.
Just make sure you put plus and minus on the same contacts :!:
Kind regards,

André

reflex

Post by reflex » Fri May 06, 2005 7:22 am

A 9VDC or 12VDC (not AC!) wallwart power supply will work just fine, but it must be **extremely** low current.

The original Beaulieu supplies only put out about 30mA. Unfortunately, most of the cheap wallwarts you're likely to find pump out 500mA or more. This would result in an incredibly quick and hot charge that would probably do damage to your camera and the battery.

If your battery has been recelled recently, it probably has much higher capacity Ni-Cd or NiMH battery cells. These can handle a much faster charge. The general rule of thumb with Ni-Cds is that a "standard" charge current is the battery's mA/Hour rating divided by roughly 10 (if you have a battery rated at 280mA/Hour, you'd charge at 30mA for 10 hours). Careful not to overcharge -- these batteries may get hot and vent.

Check http://www.jameco.com, although I doubt they'll have anything smaller than 100mA (Which you could use, if you put together a plug so you can charge the battery out of the camera -- just remember that you'd be using 3x the current, so your charge time will be 1/3 of what you're used to). The price should be about $5.

My external charger (with suitable plug) cost me less than $10 and charges my 6xAA Ni-Cd external pack in about 6 hours.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology

thebrowniecameraguy

Post by thebrowniecameraguy » Fri May 06, 2005 7:47 am

I dont know anything about the Beaulieu cameras but this might help?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Its a charger for a Beaulieu cine camera.

Jordan
I'm back, I'm back- thebrowniecameraguy is back! I still have my Brownie 8mm Turret f/1.9! Time to play!

Bjorn Andersson

Post by Bjorn Andersson » Fri May 06, 2005 8:21 am

Beaulieu 5008 chargers original have a output of 50mAh for their 500mAh battery.
If you have re-celled with better cells, use the advise given by Reflex.

aj

Post by aj » Fri May 06, 2005 8:54 am

reflex wrote:.

Check http://www.jameco.com, although I doubt they'll have anything smaller than 100mA (Which you could use, if you put together a plug so you can charge the battery out of the camera -- just remember that you'd be using 3x the current, so your charge time will be 1/3 of what you're used to). The price should be about $5.

My external charger (with suitable plug) cost me less than $10 and charges my 6xAA Ni-Cd external pack in about 6 hours.
Well, at € 8,50 you can have an Ansmann charger (mailorder from Conrad) which allready is automatic in adapting its voltage and current to the connected cell-set. Works OK for most if not all rechargable cells.
Kind regards,

André