Cameras

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Jake

Cameras

Post by Jake » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:44 am

A few days ago I read on here that the best cameras are the Cannons. I have recently boough a Bauer 715 for £100 pounds I thought it was
one of the best - can someone tell me as I am not that familiar I went with lens quality and well this one has a 90mm lens, I haven't used it yet.

LastQuark

Post by LastQuark » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:28 am

There is no such thing as best camera. It all depends what your criteria is. Is it price? Noise it produces? Vibrant color? Contrast? Saturation? Sharp glass? Low light performance? Each camera has its own strong characteristic which other cameras don't have.

I'm trying to learn a lot in the 2 months I've been in this forum and with Super 8. The favorite cameras frequently mentioned here includes: Canon 1014XL-S, Nikon R-10, Nizo 6080, Beaulieu 4008Z4, Beaulieu 7/9008pro. Some swear with the Bauers too.

In my quest to find out the best camera myself, I bought 4 of the 6 cameras mentioned above and plan to do a review. I'm not sure if this had been done before but it will be great to have to those still trying to make a choice.

al77

Post by al77 » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:10 pm

Lastquark - Wow that must be an impressive set of cameras you've bought, i'm envious! I'd be very interested to hear how your cameras compare & which you like the best.
Jake - the super8list ( http://www.kolumbus.fi/puistot/b.htm ) lists your camera as the top of the range Bauer, so it must be good!
Cheers,

Santo

Post by Santo » Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:05 pm

I'd say it must be pretty much up there with the best, too.

Any camera that has a professional grade Angenieux lens has got to produce a picture that's among the best of the best! Any time you've got a camera that's using lenses from Schneider, let alone Angenieux, you can be assured that the camera manufacturer was aiming at competing at the highest level and wasn't worried about their camera costing a bundle (when it was new).

LastQuark, I'm really looking forward to any test like that! There's never an "ultimate best", and I enjoy reading about subjective opinions from fans of different makes, but it sure would be fun to see some more objective testing of these things -- like a Car and Driver or Road and Track of super 8 camera compare-os.

Was there ever a Zeiss lens fitted on a super 8 camera? Does anybody have say a 4008 with a Zeiss lens fitted to it? Did that ever happen?

LastQuark

Post by LastQuark » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:08 am

Bauer 715XL with Angenieux - nice specs. I'll see if I can include it too.

jukkasil

Post by jukkasil » Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:21 am

LastQuark wrote:Bauer 715XL with Angenieux - nice specs. I'll see if I can include it too.
And hey, don't forget Bauer S 709 Xl model, it's even better than 715 model, that Neovaron lens just rocks!
Best Regards

Jukka Sillanpaa

super8man

my two cents...

Post by super8man » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:27 am

Bought a perfect neovaron 7.5-60mm Bauer C8 for 29.95 on ebay - wow!

Shot a couple of frames of a lightning strike hitting Lake Tahoe on my Bauer 715XLS.

Visit: http://home.pacbell.net/super8mm/

I guess I got lucky. People love both of these lenses and cameras.

Also, Zeiss made a 6-66mm zoom super 8 camera back in the early 70's. Very cool but equiped with a very slow f2.8 max-aperture. Must have been sweet to shoot motorsports with that bad boy.

Cheers,
m
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/

Cheezy

Post by Cheezy » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:15 am

The Bauer 709 XL and 715 XL just rock ! I can't even tell the difference between the two lenses ! They have produced the best S8 images I've seen so far. Only advantage in favor of the 715 XL, it is much quieter than the 709 (at least mine...). That must be because of the lens' better quality of manufacture. A friend of mine that's director of photography told me a camera's noise may vary depending on the lens that's used.
Cheezy

MovieMaker

Post by MovieMaker » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:16 pm

I do own both the Bauer 709 and the 715 and the Angenieux definitely is one of the best lenses integrated into a Super-8 cam. The camera is heavy but the results are stunning.

BTW: The Porst 1500 is the same model like the Bauer 715 though another brand and other colors.

MovieMaker