Canon 814 super8 - Battery Corrosion - doesn't work. Repair $ cost?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Post Reply
Doctor_Swole
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:34 am
Real name: Mike Swole

Canon 814 super8 - Battery Corrosion - doesn't work. Repair $ cost?

Post by Doctor_Swole » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:40 am

Hey guys. first post. For those who are familiar with the 814. About to buy one from my local craigslist for $129. the camera looks mint, literally brand new, and all the accessories included, with the case... however the craigslist ad says "Doesn't work due to corrosion in the battery case".

My question is, approximately how much will it cost to get this camera to turn on? Did the corrosion damage the other components of the camera other than the contacts/terminals? Probably not right? Since this camera's battery compartment is the pistol grip handle, and it is completely separate of the body. is this worth getting? it's only $129

alexmuir
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 11:14 pm

Canon 814 super8 - Battery Corrosion - doesn't work. Repair $ cost?

Post by alexmuir » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi. I’m not an expert, but I have bought a non-working 814 thinking I would fix it. It cost nothing like $129. More like $25. Anyway, I couldn’t get it to run. I did discover, however, quite a lot of useful information including how to strip it down, simply by a google search. There seems to be plenty of these cameras with similar problems, and there is no guarantee that the battery compartment corrosion is the only fault. I’m not sure about the availability of repair facilities where you are, but I would doubt anyone would touch it here in the UK. See what others say, but I think it’s expensive for a non-runner.
Alex


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User avatar
Charlie Blackfield
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:09 pm
Real name: Klaus Huber
Location: Bradford-on-Avon / UK
Contact:

Re: Canon 814 super8 - Battery Corrosion - doesn't work. Repair $ cost?

Post by Charlie Blackfield » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:55 pm

Which 814 are you looking at? If it's an AutoZoom 814 Electronic like the one I've got, I would have thought 129 dollars should buy you a working camera. Similar for the older non-electronic AutoZoom 814. If, on the other hand, you're looking at an 814 XL-S, 129 dollars may still be a fair price for a camera that needs a bit of work done.

Not sure how much it would cost to fix it. If you're lucky and the corrosion isn't too bad, you may just be able to scrape it off yourself (although it will be awkward to get to the contacts). However, I suspect there's more to it than this. Replacing the pistol grip with a better condition one (maybe from another non-working 814 of the same kind that you could pick up for a few dollars) might be your best bet.

Charlie

Doctor_Swole
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:34 am
Real name: Mike Swole

Re: Canon 814 super8 - Battery Corrosion - doesn't work. Repair $ cost?

Post by Doctor_Swole » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:31 am

alexmuir wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:42 pm
Hi. I’m not an expert, but I have bought a non-working 814 thinking I would fix it. It cost nothing like $129. More like $25. Anyway, I couldn’t get it to run. I did discover, however, quite a lot of useful information including how to strip it down, simply by a google search. There seems to be plenty of these cameras with similar problems, and there is no guarantee that the battery compartment corrosion is the only fault. I’m not sure about the availability of repair facilities where you are, but I would doubt anyone would touch it here in the UK. See what others say, but I think it’s expensive for a non-runner.
Alex


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well I happen to live 2 miles away from Pro8mm lol... im in Burbank CA. have a look for yourself in the link below, is it worth it? Looks very clean and cosmetically excellent. What could possibly be so costly to repair it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-Auto-Zoo ... Swt0FZB36e

Doctor_Swole
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:34 am
Real name: Mike Swole

Re: Canon 814 super8 - Battery Corrosion - doesn't work. Repair $ cost?

Post by Doctor_Swole » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:33 am

Charlie Blackfield wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:55 pm
Which 814 are you looking at? If it's an AutoZoom 814 Electronic like the one I've got, I would have thought 129 dollars should buy you a working camera. Similar for the older non-electronic AutoZoom 814. If, on the other hand, you're looking at an 814 XL-S, 129 dollars may still be a fair price for a camera that needs a bit of work done.

Not sure how much it would cost to fix it. If you're lucky and the corrosion isn't too bad, you may just be able to scrape it off yourself (although it will be awkward to get to the contacts). However, I suspect there's more to it than this. Replacing the pistol grip with a better condition one (maybe from another non-working 814 of the same kind that you could pick up for a few dollars) might be your best bet.

Charlie
Hey Charlie it's one of the earlier ones that are silver, its the Autozoom 814. Here's a link, pls note how clean it is, and all accessories included. Should I take a chance on it? thanks

Will2
Senior member
Posts: 1952
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:18 am
Real name: Will Montgomery
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: Canon 814 super8 - Battery Corrosion - doesn't work. Repair $ cost?

Post by Will2 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:10 pm

I have a couple of those 814 Autozoom cameras. Built like tanks and heavy as one too. Good solid camera but limited on film speed options.

alexmuir
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 11:14 pm

Re: Canon 814 super8 - Battery Corrosion - doesn't work. Repair $ cost?

Post by alexmuir » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 pm

If you are close to a repairer, why don’t you ask them about likely costs? If they know the camera, they’ll know the common faults.
Alex


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doctor_Swole
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:34 am
Real name: Mike Swole

Re: Canon 814 super8 - Battery Corrosion - doesn't work. Repair $ cost?

Post by Doctor_Swole » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:57 am

alexmuir wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 pm
If you are close to a repairer, why don’t you ask them about likely costs? If they know the camera, they’ll know the common faults.
Alex


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I did ask them.. they said that they would have to take a look at it. Did you see the link I posted ?

Doctor_Swole
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:34 am
Real name: Mike Swole

Re: Canon 814 super8 - Battery Corrosion - doesn't work. Repair $ cost?

Post by Doctor_Swole » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:59 am

Will2 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:10 pm
I have a couple of those 814 Autozoom cameras. Built like tanks and heavy as one too. Good solid camera but limited on film speed options.
it shoots in 24fps. which other speed is it lacking? I'm not gonna be doing any slow-mo shooting

nikonr10
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:41 pm
Real name: Christopher Nigel

Re: Canon 814 super8 - Battery Corrosion - doesn't work. Repair $ cost?

Post by nikonr10 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Doctor_Swole wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:40 am
Hey guys. first post. For those who are familiar with the 814. About to buy one from my local craigslist for $129. the camera looks mint, literally brand new, and all the accessories included, with the case... however the craigslist ad says "Doesn't work due to corrosion in the battery case".

My question is, approximately how much will it cost to get this camera to turn on? Did the corrosion damage the other components of the camera other than the contacts/terminals? Probably not right? Since this camera's battery compartment is the pistol grip handle, and it is completely separate of the body. is this worth getting? it's only $129
I am you sure you will find a better deal on ebay ? thing is it better to go buy one from a dealer were you test & play check touch etc .
Still 129$ is not cheap for hit & miss . :-?

Will2
Senior member
Posts: 1952
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:18 am
Real name: Will Montgomery
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: Canon 814 super8 - Battery Corrosion - doesn't work. Repair $ cost?

Post by Will2 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:27 pm

Doctor_Swole wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:59 am
Will2 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:10 pm
I have a couple of those 814 Autozoom cameras. Built like tanks and heavy as one too. Good solid camera but limited on film speed options.
it shoots in 24fps. which other speed is it lacking? I'm not gonna be doing any slow-mo shooting
I believe it's 12, 24 & 36. Slow motion is fun with film. Beaulieu 4008 goes up to 70fps...although it sounds like it will explode at that rate.

Doctor_Swole
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:34 am
Real name: Mike Swole

Re: Canon 814 super8 - Battery Corrosion - doesn't work. Repair $ cost?

Post by Doctor_Swole » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:30 am

I am you sure you will find a better deal on ebay ? thing is it better to go buy one from a dealer were you test & play check touch etc .
Still 129$ is not cheap for hit & miss . :-?
[/quote]

All the other ones in the $100 range that are "untested" are cosmetically banged up.. scratched.. discolouration, cracked and aged leather.. gonna go for it I think, hopefully the battery corrosion will be an easy/cheap fix.

inlieubeaulieu
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:03 am
Real name: Miles Sprietsma
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Canon 814 super8 - Battery Corrosion - doesn't work. Repair $ cost?

Post by inlieubeaulieu » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:49 am

the handle on these, I have found, are pretty easy to remove and disassemble. If you have found the corrosion so extreme that you cannot clean it out (I use rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs) you could always buy a beater "parts only" camera and try replacing the whole handle

nikonr10
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:41 pm
Real name: Christopher Nigel

Re: Canon 814 super8 - Battery Corrosion - doesn't work. Repair $ cost?

Post by nikonr10 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:19 am

Doctor_Swole wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:30 am
I am you sure you will find a better deal on ebay ? thing is it better to go buy one from a dealer were you test & play check touch etc .
Still 129$ is not cheap for hit & miss . :-?
All the other ones in the $100 range that are "untested" are cosmetically banged up.. scratched.. discolouration, cracked and aged leather.. gonna go for it I think, hopefully the battery corrosion will be an easy/cheap fix.
[/quote]

In the end you get what you pay for ? I found it's better to save & then buy the camera you want !
Thing is these's camera are showing there age now .
:D

Post Reply