Customer review: RetroSync Studio Sound Module

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MovieStuff

Customer review: RetroSync Studio Sound Module

Post by MovieStuff » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:23 am

This is hot off the press from a customer in the UK regarding our new RetroSync Studio Sound Module:

Wow what can I say, I have recently taken delivery to Scotland of a brand new RetroSync unit from MovieStuff. Having used the RetroScan Universal for nearly a year now, I have no problem putting my faith in the quality of the products made by Roger and the Moviestuff team. Using the scanner to scan film is just amazing and now with the RetroSync unit, it saves hours and hours of mucking about cutting short segments of sound to fit onto the one film. (It used to drive me very close to tears) The RetroSync takes all the stress out of synchronising the sound from Cine Film to the final project. Being a perfectionist I have spent hours upon hours to get it right in the past. As a true test of the unit, I asked a few of my customers to send back the films that caused me hours of work in the past. The results can be seen and heard instantly. I find one sync point in Adobe premiere and the rest is all sorted. I have watched in amazement how the sound is bang on and doesn't miss a beat. Another great feature is the fact that the sound can be captured at a higher speed and synced to the proper speed during the process which is very fast as well. Thank you Roger and the team, I love this unit. It is going to save me a lot of time in the future and for that the investment is worth every single penny. I look forward to whatever you guys have up your sleeves next.

Steven Look2 Cine Film & Video Services
Troon, Ayrshire, Scotland

MovieStuff

Re: Customer review: RetroSync Studio Sound Module

Post by MovieStuff » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Another nice RetroSync user review:

I've been using the new RetroSynch sound unit for a few days and I have to say that it is awesome, like all the other great innovations from the genuises at MovieStuff.

I use it on S8mm optical (seriously) and magnetic and 16mm optical and magnetic sound projects. It is super easy to set up and run. The render time after a sound capture is super fast. There is nothing critical in the projector-to-sensor setup as the IR sensor only needs to be illuminated by the light through the projector gate. Optionally, it can be triggered by a sound pulse, which is the way that I use it (but, that's a discussion for another time).

So first capture your movie with the RetroScan Universal and render that out. Then do the soundtrack and render it out at the same frame rate. Then match them up on your NLE timeline. Simple.

The sync of the captured and frame rate normalized soundtrack (select 17.982, 18, 23.976, 24 or 25 fps) is a walk in the park. No dropped frames or time slippage.

The sound quality is totally a function of your playback machine (projector's playback electronics), not a function of the RetroSync unit. The job of the RetroSync is to create a frame accurate sync WAV audio file of the source audio reproduced from your playback machine (projector). Then all you need to do is match some point on the timeline where the picture and the sound match, and, presto, the entire soundtrack and picture timeline will align perfectly from in point to out point.

There is only one small con. The unit will only process sound digitized to 44.1kHz@16-bit mono. So, if your archive client requires archival sound captured (born) at 48kHz@24-bit, the RetroSync cannot do that. However, that is never a requirement for consumer grade film transfers.

If you've ever struggled to sync movies on you timeline with non-synched soundtrack captures, then this is the answer to all your prayers. You MUST have this product to go along with your RetroScan film scanner.

Bob Nichol
http://www.pingpongmedia.com

MovieStuff

Re: Customer review: RetroSync Studio Sound Module

Post by MovieStuff » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:17 pm

MovieStuff wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:04 pm
Another nice RetroSync user review:

.......The sound quality is totally a function of your playback machine (projector's playback electronics), not a function of the RetroSync unit.

It is true that the sound quality is dependent on the projector you use. However, since the function of the RetroSync software is to make an audio track that plays at a perfectly constant rate, in doing so it will remove virtually all traces of “wow” that results from a worn projector transport. In that sense, the RetroSync unit and software can actually improve your audio and also extend the useful life of your chosen projector.

MovieStuff wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:04 pm
There is only one small con. The unit will only process sound digitized to 44.1kHz@16-bit mono. So, if your archive client requires archival sound captured (born) at 48kHz@24-bit, the RetroSync cannot do that.

We are looking into allowing 48kHz recording and output but experience has shown that every time we add a feature it has the potential to increase customer support after the sale. In other words, more emails and phone calls from customers not understanding how to use that new feature. The reason we did not put 48kHz in there from the start is because the target market for this product are small shops doing transfers of consumer home movies and virtually all of their NLE systems are preset to 44.1Khz. If a user selects 48kHz in the RetroSync software and their timeline of their NLE is preset to 44.1kHz, then the audio will not hold sync because the sample rates are different. That's not a problem as long as the user understands how to change the project settings of their NLE but, unfortunately, too many people really do not understand their NLE systems thoroughly and, with over 2000 RetroScan users out there, having to spend that kind of time teaching people how to use another company's product gets old pretty quickly and, ultimately, might affect the price of the RetroSync unit. Not everyone needs 48kHz but everyone wants out products to be as affordable as possible. :)

Roger