Single 8

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

markbaldry

Single 8

Post by markbaldry » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:38 am

I've just bought my first Single 8 camera, does anyone know where I could get it serviced in Europe?
Also trying to get hold of film stock but cannot get hold of retro8 in Japan.
Is there anywhere that sells the film or empty cartridges so I can load my own film?
Thanks

sportique

Re: Single 8

Post by sportique » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:15 pm

I'm not sure where you can get it serviced but I would assume that any engineer who can deal with Super8 cameras can also deal with this: given that the only major difference is the pressure plate.

with regards to buying new film I'm afraid that Retro Enterprises is the only game in town as they produce the only film still available in this format. The owner speaks perfect English but I'm not sure about the rest of his staff; so communication can sometimes be a little slow. I'd send another email if you don't hear back from them.

The only reseller I can think of is the Super8 Reversal Lab in the Netherlands: https://www.super8.nl/english/e_index.htm

If you want to load your own cartridges you need to get the first generation carts from the 1960's. These are held together with adhesive tape and (unlike the later models) can be dismantled easily.
They look like this:Image
You can often find them on ebay and Japanese Yahoo auctions: https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/sea ... &slider=0

They're available in 25, 50, and 200asa, if you want 100 or 500asa you need to 'notch hack'. Also they hold slightly less then 50ft film so if you wanted to transplant the entire contents of a Kodak cartridge you'd really need two empty single8 carts; which is a pain in the ass as it effectively doubles your lab costs.

markbaldry

Re: Single 8

Post by markbaldry » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.