Lomo tank processing

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

pip
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:15 pm
Real name: Robert Moseley

Lomo tank processing

Post by pip » Sat May 16, 2015 11:30 am

I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem I am having with the Lomo tank. I am loading super 8 film in the tank successfully. However, I believe that the processing solution is not penetrating uniformly into the the grooves of the spiral. Consequently, the edge of the film which comprises the sprocket holes is not at all times being processed? This happens irregularly along the length of the film. Possibly, the groove in which the film sits is insufficiently wide to allow the processing solution to access the film completely or possibly I am not agitating the film with sufficient vigour? This should not present a problem if the solution fails to attach itself only to that part of the film which is outside the picture area. However, the problem is also carrying over into the edge of the picture area.

I can see this problem more obviously with film processed to a negative image. I assume that since the area outside the picure area is not exposed to light when filming, that it should then be unaffected by the processing and should then be clear after fixing. However, sections of the edge of the film are alternatively clear or dark. I do not understand these dark areas at all - since they were not originally exposed to light - so I must be missing something!

nikonr10
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:41 pm
Real name: Christopher Nigel

Re: Lomo tank processing

Post by nikonr10 » Sat May 16, 2015 3:31 pm

pip wrote:I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem I am having with the Lomo tank. I am loading super 8 film in the tank successfully. However, I believe that the processing solution is not penetrating uniformly into the the grooves of the spiral. Consequently, the edge of the film which comprises the sprocket holes is not at all times being processed? This happens irregularly along the length of the film. Possibly, the groove in which the film sits is insufficiently wide to allow the processing solution to access the film completely or possibly I am not agitating the film with sufficient vigour? This should not present a problem if the solution fails to attach itself only to that part of the film which is outside the picture area. However, the problem is also carrying over into the edge of the picture area.

I can see this problem more obviously with film processed to a negative image. I assume that since the area outside the picure area is not exposed to light when filming, that it should then be unaffected by the processing and should then be clear after fixing. However, sections of the edge of the film are alternatively clear or dark. I do not understand these dark areas at all - since they were not originally exposed to light - so I must be missing something!
Hi there a small hole in the black spiral holder that hold the film reels , Can let light in best to tape that small hole up .

richard p. t.
Senior member
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: victoria, Australia

Re: Lomo tank processing

Post by richard p. t. » Sat May 16, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi
I suspect you are loading the spiral with the film's emulsion facing in. You need to wind with the emulsion out. Otherwise the edge of the film in the track touches the track on its emulsion side and trends to miss the chemistry. In 16mm that isn't usually a problem (unless you are doing super 16 or processing a print with a sound track and don't have the sprocket hole down). But in super 8 it can be a problem.
Cheers
Richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au

pip
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:15 pm
Real name: Robert Moseley

Re: Lomo tank processing

Post by pip » Sat May 16, 2015 6:00 pm

That's brilliant, Richard. That should solve my problem. I had assumed keeping the sprocket holes down was sufficient. Thanks again.

milesandjules
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:22 am
Location: brisbane australia
Contact:

Re: Lomo tank processing

Post by milesandjules » Sun May 17, 2015 5:43 am

The other think i thought that might be happening is….. are you putting enough chemicals to fully cover the film while in the tank?

pip
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:15 pm
Real name: Robert Moseley

Re: Lomo tank processing

Post by pip » Sun May 17, 2015 10:11 am

I think there are sufficient chemicals going into the tank. The problem has arisen around the sprocket holes which are at the lowest point.

Another query, however, is the processing time. I have been developing black and white film to a negative image with 6 minutes processing, but I read that Tri X will need 12 minutes initial processing if following the reversal route.

nikonr10
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:41 pm
Real name: Christopher Nigel

Re: Lomo tank processing

Post by nikonr10 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:39 pm

pip wrote:I think there are sufficient chemicals going into the tank. The problem has arisen around the sprocket holes which are at the lowest point.

Another query, however, is the processing time. I have been developing black and white film to a negative image with 6 minutes processing, but I read that Tri X will need 12 minutes initial processing if following the reversal route.
I do around six mins then for the 2nd around 2mins . What bleach bath will you be using ? As that makes all the difference ,
why would you want to give it 12 mins as 1st processing ?

aj
Senior member
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:15 pm
Real name: Andre
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Lomo tank processing

Post by aj » Mon May 18, 2015 4:56 pm

nikonr10 wrote:
pip wrote:I think there are sufficient chemicals going into the tank. The problem has arisen around the sprocket holes which are at the lowest point.

Another query, however, is the processing time. I have been developing black and white film to a negative image with 6 minutes processing, but I read that Tri X will need 12 minutes initial processing if following the reversal route.
I do around six mins then for the 2nd around 2mins . What bleach bath will you be using ? As that makes all the difference ,
why would you want to give it 12 mins as 1st processing ?
First developer is most important to achieve proper density. So time and temperature there are the most influential.
Kind regards,

André

pip
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:15 pm
Real name: Robert Moseley

Re: Lomo tank processing

Post by pip » Mon May 18, 2015 5:11 pm

I had taken 12 minutes from information provided on-line by Ilford for reversal processing. Six minutes then seems the right time for Tri X. I will be using the Foma kit - the Foma bleach is a combination of potassium dichromate and sulphuric acid. I am not aware of any other appropriate bleach on the market.

aj
Senior member
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:15 pm
Real name: Andre
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Lomo tank processing

Post by aj » Mon May 18, 2015 7:00 pm

pip wrote:I had taken 12 minutes from information provided on-line by Ilford for reversal processing. Six minutes then seems the right time for Tri X. I will be using the Foma kit - the Foma bleach is a combination of potassium dichromate and sulphuric acid. I am not aware of any other appropriate bleach on the market.
There no longer is a commercial offering of Dichromatic bleach. The fomakit doesn't contain dichromate.

You would have to mix that from raw chemicals. Which are available only to professionals. The main advantage of Dichromatic bleach is that it doesn't age where potassium bleach ages by the minute :(
Kind regards,

André

nikonr10
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:41 pm
Real name: Christopher Nigel

Re: Lomo tank processing

Post by nikonr10 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:32 am

aj wrote:
pip wrote:I had taken 12 minutes from information provided on-line by Ilford for reversal processing. Six minutes then seems the right time for Tri X. I will be using the Foma kit - the Foma bleach is a combination of potassium dichromate and sulphuric acid. I am not aware of any other appropriate bleach on the market.
There no longer is a commercial offering of Dichromatic bleach. The fomakit doesn't contain dichromate.

You would have to mix that from raw chemicals. Which are available only to professionals. The main advantage of Dichromatic bleach is that it doesn't age where potassium bleach ages by the minute :(
The kind of bleach that is or was available , And the joy's of the fomakit Or not? is in pass post's , The Foma bleach is not the best for Tri X film .
If you check pass post's you will see why .
The Bleach is the big one ? took me years to find away around it ? At the most would only do {1 dev , 6 min's / 8min"s} for Tri X . my note's .
The whole thing with home cooking is you learn as you go on? with mistake 's keep note's so you know for next time . frank at super8.nl has a good starting point .
I hope this helps .

aj
Senior member
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:15 pm
Real name: Andre
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Lomo tank processing

Post by aj » Tue May 19, 2015 10:47 am

nikonr10 wrote:
aj wrote:
pip wrote:I had taken 12 minutes from information provided on-line by Ilford for reversal processing. Six minutes then seems the right time for Tri X. I will be using the Foma kit - the Foma bleach is a combination of potassium dichromate and sulphuric acid. I am not aware of any other appropriate bleach on the market.
There no longer is a commercial offering of Dichromatic bleach. The fomakit doesn't contain dichromate.

You would have to mix that from raw chemicals. Which are available only to professionals. The main advantage of Dichromatic bleach is that it doesn't age where potassium bleach ages by the minute :(
The kind of bleach that is or was available , And the joy's of the fomakit Or not? is in pass post's , The Foma bleach is not the best for Tri X film .
If you check pass post's you will see why .
The Bleach is the big one ? took me years to find away around it ? At the most would only do {1 dev , 6 min's / 8min"s} for Tri X . my note's .
The whole thing with home cooking is you learn as you go on? with mistake 's keep note's so you know for next time . frank at super8.nl has a good starting point .
I hope this helps .
Maybe you need to spend more time on writing a message. It is incomprehendable with this staccato of random sentences. And why all these questionmarks? Is your keyboard broken?

The Fomakit works fine on any black and white film. It only needs a bit more time and the bleach doesn't last.

There is no need for trial-and-error. Just follow the recipes and timesheet then all will be fine.
Kind regards,

André

pip
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:15 pm
Real name: Robert Moseley

Re: Lomo tank processing

Post by pip » Tue May 19, 2015 4:51 pm

The Foma timings are: 1st development 9-10 minutes; bleach 5 minutes; 2nd development 9 minutes; fix 9 minutes. Do you think these are correct for Tri X?

richard p. t.
Senior member
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: victoria, Australia

Re: Lomo tank processing

Post by richard p. t. » Wed May 20, 2015 2:07 am

With the foma developer, yes, use those times.
Note, I have never used the foma developer (!) but the fact is, different developers require different development times, and Fomapan processes for the normal (ie Tri-x) time in kodak developer.
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au

pdelrosario
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 4:59 am

Re: Lomo tank processing

Post by pdelrosario » Sun May 24, 2015 5:11 am

My struggles with Tri-x + permanganate + Kodak times might be of use. Am wondering how it would work with Foma r100.

http://youtu.be/JAPDs_-HF58

Post Reply