New GK reloadable super8 cartridge

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

bolextech

New GK reloadable super8 cartridge

Post by bolextech » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:08 am

Video showing the manufacturing of the New GK reloadable super8 cartridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX6h__Yvj3w#t=255

Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada

freddenacka

Re: New GK reloadable super8 cartridge

Post by freddenacka » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:38 pm

Cool!
I have reused the Adox pan-x cartage.
My ones seems to miss the roller from the first spool that he is producing in the move.
Would be greet if they sold different asa adapters.

aj

Post by aj » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:10 am

Convenient that the light can be switched on after the film is put in the right/storage site. Other cartridges have an opening between left and right. That way the fixing of the pickup wheel is easy. Seems he is using a double sided tape for that.

Makes one wonder what the price will be when 40 minutes must be spent on final tooling and assembly.
Kind regards,

André

nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:48 pm

bolextech wrote:Video showing the manufacturing of the New GK reloadable super8 cartridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX6h__Yvj3w#t=255

Jean-Louis
The Kaccema cartridge seem to be way better made ? and how old are there now ! ?

aj

Post by aj » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:02 pm

aj wrote:Convenient that the light can be switched on after the film is put in the right/storage site. Other cartridges have an opening between left and right. That way the fixing of the pickup wheel is easy. Seems he is using a double sided tape for that.

Makes one wonder what the price will be when 40 minutes must be spent on final tooling and assembly.
BTW The oddity is that it seems not have/need a springblade to put pressure in the plate. There is some other means like a plastic thing.

We can assume it will take the metal GK pressure plate? :)
Kind regards,

André

carllooper

Post by carllooper » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Looking at the PDF theres a picture of the Andruckplatte, with the film facing plate face down. If I'm not mistaken I can see what appears to be curved metal, acting as a spring, between the film facing plate and the plastic mount.

EDIT: I'm mistaken. That blue shadow under the assembly isn't the plate (as I was imagining) as all the other components on the page have the same blue shadow under them. And the picture looks consistent with a film side view rather than the reverse (as I was imagining).

But perhaps the plate itself (not depicted) has some sort of spring on it's reverse side, that fits into the plastic mount.

Actually, looking at the other picture - of the hand holding the assembly - I think it's the entire plastic assembly that has a spring under it. That V shaped plate:

C
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/

carllooper

Post by carllooper » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:40 pm

I've never used such carts - is it possible to backwind film in such carts?

In some of the experimental filmmaking which interests me, the ability to backwind film an arbitrary length has a certain appeal.

C
Carl Looper

richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:29 am

carllooper wrote:
Actually, looking at the other picture - of the hand holding the assembly - I think it's the entire plastic assembly that has a spring under it. That V shaped plate:

C
Yes, that's correct. The 'spring' is actually part of the pressure plate. Makes it even less fiddly to load as there is no separate spring.

As for rewinding, GK carts are the same ... except that you can readily open the cart, rewind the roll of film, then reload it. The fact that you can do the trickiest part of the load in the light makes the GK cartridge far superior to the kodak one for diy loading.
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au

antrud

Post by antrud » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:55 am

I was interested but......I checked the price G-K is asking:

Reloadable super 8 cartridge 74,00 EUR
(incl. 19% tax excl. Shipping costs)

http://www.cinevia.eu/

I think I might stick to trawling for the old re-loadable Soviet cartridges. So far I have recently bought eight (and that includes a Lomo S8 camera) for the price of one re-loadable G-K cartridge.

\

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:46 am

not sure this spring system is a good design in terms of image stability n focus.

..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...

nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:39 pm

carllooper wrote:I've never used such carts - is it possible to backwind film in such carts?

In some of the experimental filmmaking which interests me, the ability to backwind film an arbitrary length has a certain appeal.

C
Yes Carl would be easy to do ! do it with my Kaccema ! you will need a changing bag / Takes sometime to learn by touch , like all things after awhile gets easy ?

aj

Post by aj » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:24 pm

carllooper wrote:I've never used such carts - is it possible to backwind film in such carts?

C
The Kaccema has an anti-reverse so you would be limited to the trickery with blocked wind-up or which is built-in in some cameras like R10 and R8.

A full length reverse would be possible by taking out the film, rewinding and re-installing it again. Keeping track of frames will a challenge.

When you file/cut off the teeth you might be enable to rewind outside the camera some length. There is no pick-up in the storage half so the film must fit in the free space. This could work with standard cartridges too when you break the reverse block. Adapting old cartridges for refilling isn't too difficult. Agfa are best as these have a one flange storage spool.

Of course you could get a 60 meter Logmar but I assume it doesn't do reverse winding in camera. Let alone reverse exposing like the R10 and R8 can do :) R10 R8 are limited to a 100 frames max rewind backward filming. They are frame accurate though.

I know of one filmer who took film from a 15m cartridige and installed that in a adapted 60 meter. Just to be enable to rewind full length. Using Beaulieu 6/7/9008. Frame counting would be accurate on the 7/9008 I think.

NB You would need to cover the lens when transporting the film forward or backward as the shutter goes open and close along.
Kind regards,

André

BAC

Post by BAC » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:14 pm

I have a device for rewinding Super 8 film. It's a small metal box that is light tight. You load the film into the box just like you load it into a camera, preferably in a changing bag. It has a knob that you turn to rewind the film. I have not used it other than testing it with an old cart. I'm not sure who made it but it seems like it could have been made in the 1960's by the looks of it (metal not plastic).

carllooper

Post by carllooper » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:43 am

Many thanks to all responses.

I recall from about 30 years ago (late 70s), using a retail Super8 backwinder. Cost me about $70 at the time (what's that in today's money?). You took the cart out of the camera, put it in this device, and turned the knob. I used a change bag as well. Only went back a finite amount due to S8 cart design. And a Canon I used back then did in-camera backwinding for "lap dissolves" between shots - the cart limiting this to a second or so. I think the cart limit on backwinding was 75 frames from memory.

And yes, the reloadable cart, if not directly backwindable, is still better than a normal cart - for as discussed: one can just take the film out and reload the film back at the start, and as discussed, being sure to use a lens cap to skip shots one doesn't want re-exposed. The use of a lens cap reminds me of a 90s plugin for a 3D animation program I use that was called a "lens cap filter". When you turned on the plugin (as one does to see what it does) it rendered your 3d scene as black frames! I laughed so much because apart from the complete uselessness of the plugin it actually spent a whole minute to render each black frame.

I've posted a question on Logmar forum on backwinding - to see if the Logmar supports in-camera backwinding. Of limited value for a cart (of either persuasion) but if possible would be of greater value for the 60m magazine (if the magazine supports it). Of course, with the magazine (and the reloadable cart) one can otherwise do it manually with a change bag (or lab darkroom), so not a big issue.

C
Carl Looper

nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:23 am

carllooper wrote:Many thanks to all responses.

I recall from about 30 years ago (late 70s), using a retail Super8 backwinder. Cost me about $70 at the time (what's that in today's money?). You took the cart out of the camera, put it in this device, and turned the knob. I used a change bag as well. Only went back a finite amount due to S8 cart design. And a Canon I used back then did in-camera backwinding for "lap dissolves" between shots - the cart limiting this to a second or so. I think the cart limit on backwinding was 75 frames from memory.

And yes, the reloadable cart, if not directly backwindable, is still better than a normal cart - for as discussed: one can just take the film out and reload the film back at the start, and as discussed, being sure to use a lens cap to skip shots one doesn't want re-exposed. The use of a lens cap reminds me of a 90s plugin for a 3D animation program I use that was called a "lens cap filter". When you turned on the plugin (as one does to see what it does) it rendered your 3d scene as black frames! I laughed so much because apart from the complete uselessness of the plugin it actually spent a whole minute to render each black frame.

I've posted a question on Logmar forum on backwinding - to see if the Logmar supports in-camera backwinding. Of limited value for a cart (of either persuasion) but if possible would be of greater value for the 60m magazine (if the magazine supports it). Of course, with the magazine (and the reloadable cart) one can otherwise do it manually with a change bag (or lab darkroom), so not a big issue.

C
Hi Carl , if we look into the history of super 8 film and design ! it was Nikon that came up with back winding the film in cart up to a 100 frames ! That was with the r10 / r8 , there allowed other's to use this design ! SEE super8data ,
I learned that if you customize the kaccma it give you that much more freedom to play with ,