Cheap D8 Cameras to use on Workshops

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

gaugefilm

Cheap D8 Cameras to use on Workshops

Post by gaugefilm » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi Filmshooting,

Gauge Film has started running some workshops for Super 8 and Double 8 Cameras. I'm all sorted for the Super 8 end but I'm not so hot on cheap Double 8 cameras that can reach a range of 10ASA up to 200ASA. Personally I have a nice little collection of Bolex D8 cameras but I don't feel comfortable using them for workshops and they are a little on the heavy side to transport along with my other gear. So light cameras would be good as well! I'll be using 7363 (10ASA) and Tri-X (200ASA) on these workshops. Any recommendations on cameras that can meet the above specification?

Best
Kevin
www.gaugefilm.co.uk

gianni1

Re: Cheap D8 Cameras to use on Workshops

Post by gianni1 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:30 pm

These 8mm cameras ought to last another fifty years.

You wanna borrow some of my precious boot sale finds for the workshop?

I've got these, some in pairs:

Reflex Zoom 8-3
Moter Zoom 8 EEE
Cine Canonet 8
Cine Zoom 512
Zenit Quarz 3
Zenit Quarz 5

Gianni 8)

http://youtu.be/mUGQ7zOyvXQ <-link to that video above, and er.., excuse the frackin adverts...

Will2

Post by Will2 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:54 pm

I love the Cine Canonet 8.
  1. Compact (fits in a big pocket)
  2. Smaller than many Super 8 cameras
  3. Auto or manual exposure
  4. Can be had for about $10
  5. AA Batteries! No winding!

cameratech

Post by cameratech » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:09 am

Gianni's collection would be great to use!

Otherwise, after a quick check on Uk eBay there's a few cheapish options:
Minolta Minoltina for £12.50 which is like the Canonet, spools fit into a custom cartridge for easy turning.
Sankyo 8-CM for £15
Best bargain would be a Bolex K2 for £10, but if you think a D8 is too heavy..

More fun options would require an external meter:
Zeiss Movikon with wide and tele converters for £7.50 - awesome camera!
Sekonic Dualmatic Zoom currently under a quid, the whole film chamber rotates so you don't need to change over the spools, very cool design
Yashica T3 triple lens turret currently at £6.50, cause totally manual turret cameras are the best thing about R8
Dom Jaeger
Camera/lens technician
Cameraquip, Melbourne

BAC

Post by BAC » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:12 am

You're not going to find anything much smaller than the Bolex C8, B8 and D8. The vast majority of Regular 8 cameras are made of metal so they are heavy. I would recommend the Bolex B8. Bargains can be found and they are very reliable. They're also easy to lube to get them running good.

gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:32 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the helpful posts and offers! I've been checking back for advice and here is an update:

I've been stalking eBay after some Bolex models. For teaching purposes I decided it was a good idea for them all to be a particular brand so the dials and operation corresponded somewhat. Also Bolex's are just brimming with functionality generally. It'll be good to do fades, single frame, different speeds, play with the shutter, etc on the course. More to teach with a Bolex :) I decided to man up and ignore the weight issue.

So far I've picked up and tested a K2 and P3 really cheap! They both work superb!

Best
Kevin
www.gaugefilm.co.uk

doug

Post by doug » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:06 am

As both Super-8 and Regular 8mm are now thoroughly vintage and old (in a few years nobody will know which came first), maybe it makes sense for other folks including me to reconsider the original 8mm format. Apart from the difference in grain size, it would seem more sensible to use some of these old regular 8 classic cameras with their better speed-ranges and so on. And film price appears rather similar these days :roll: . Is their more of a problem getting the stuff processed though ? Do you do this at gaugefilm, Kevin ? Presumably colour film is more difficult to buy also...
Doug
www.filmisfine.co

gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:34 am

Sorry for the late reply. I don't get on here as often an I used to. Yep we sell, process and scan Double 8 film. We have no problem getting a hold of it or processing it. I personally favor D8 for family shooting and holidays. No batteries to worry about! I just take my wind up camera and my Weston Master light meter and I'm set! No carts jamming to worry about either!

I use Super 8 for projects however because there is a larger image area which increases resolution. Also there is no flip after 25ft which could be problematic on a shoot. Both mediums have there advantages but I enjoy and love them both equally!
www.gaugefilm.co.uk

mr8mm

Post by mr8mm » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Are there processing labs in UK that process black and white double 8mm reversal? Or must everything be sent to Andec in Berlin? Does Reversal lab in Netherlands process Double 8mm b/w? What are the choices in Europe?

J.S.