Digital Bolex

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Will2

Re: Digital Bolex

Post by Will2 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:31 am

The so called 'D16' Bolex project is only possible for that sort of money (to the extent that it is) because they are not actually building the camera itself, but rather are using an off-the-shelf single small chip bayer pattern machine vision camera.
Very good point. However, if I make the goal $1,000,000 and use everyone else's money to try something that would have almost no chance at commercial success, yet have a cool camera that all of us would like... hmmmm....

So they got to Bolex... what other extinct camera companies could we take the name from? Bell & Howell? Probably not iconic enough since everyone here knows them for cheap 16mm school projectors... maybe it would have to be Kodak?

grainy

Post by grainy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:50 am

For 200K a person could buy a really good and really real Super 8 camera, and a whole lotta film, I know that much. Meanwhile the state of the art digital is officially outdated on an annual basis.
Newest feature film: "Lake Street Detective" Check out the trailer here: [url]https://www.grotonbridgefilms.com/lake-street-detective[/url]
Also: in post-production: "The Boulevard of Semi-Reconstructed Dreams" (short, Super 8)

hirudin

Post by hirudin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:15 am

I think it's great... For those that want to shoot digital, it's a cheap camera, brings attention to Bolex and who knows, will maybe interest some people in actual 16mm who would never have thought of it otherwise.

But has anyone else noticed that it looks exactly like a Hasselblad with a pistol grip?

-Jesse-

aj

Post by aj » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:27 pm

Supposedly it is to have 2 CF card slot. A new camera in 2012?

What is supposed to be the plus if it doesn't have a real shutter like a film camera. If people like grain and particles in their images what is the point of shooting digital?

It is just a media project. More likely a 1st of april scheme.
Kind regards,

André

CinemanUK

Post by CinemanUK » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:55 pm

It is such a strange world in which we live, it seems to me. We have those who make and/or use video cameras who seek to emulate the qualities of film, and now we have those who wish to manufacture a video camera which resembles a film camera. Life could be easier for them if they just bought and used a real film camera and real film, which doesn't just look like a film camera but is a real film camera, and enjoy a result which isn't just an attempt to emulate film imagery but delivers real film imagery.

Ooooops! Have I just given away the secret?

wado1942

Post by wado1942 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:38 pm

I don't know, I was telling a former coworker of mine recently that I wished somebody would just make a single, large CCD, no frills camera with a common lens mount that could just shoot good quality video without a ton of lossy compression. This fits that desire to the letter. I've given up on shooting video because the paradigm is changing quickly... Many pixels but still very poor quality = very slow editing & frustration with final product and I don't want to spend any money on that. Because of that, I've decided to shoot 16mm only and retire the video equipment. If something like this became the new model for shooting, I might very well adopt it and use both film and video. That is, I won't try to emulate film, because CCDs and CMOS really can't do it. It WILL, however, offer higher quality, more flexible video while staying in a reasonable budget.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:05 pm

someting lika dis: ;)

re-incartation of a video eh, film-camera.....

shoot........
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...

wahiba

Post by wahiba » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:21 am

Have you noticed how digital still cameras are looking more and more like the old style cameras.

Well expect digital cameras to follow and start looking like old movie cameras.

Who will be first? Canon, Fuji, another?

Actually a Fuji based on the basic single 8 cameras would be a good idea. It took a while for camcorders to get down to those sizes.
Decided not to change web-site, just keep updating. New movies at: http://8mmovies.yolasite.com

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:26 pm

17 Dec: Digital Bolex shop is now open

http://www.redsharknews.com/business/it ... d-77487181

shoot....
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...

Tscan

Post by Tscan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:22 am

The camera starts at $3300USD.
Reborn member since Sept 2003

Tscan

Post by Tscan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:59 am

I watched the samples on Vimeo and they don't look like anything special at all. Aside from it looking like typical HD video, most of it was very milky and sports an aweful magenta cast.
Reborn member since Sept 2003

wahiba

Post by wahiba » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:42 am

An upmarket camcorder using the Bolex brand.

Bolex are/were in the business of making making machines to record the moving image so it looks a logical progression to move onto camcorders. Canon managed it OK.

Certainly a better option than just sticking the Bolex name on a camera from the Universal Chinese Camcorder factory.
Decided not to change web-site, just keep updating. New movies at: http://8mmovies.yolasite.com

jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:51 pm

wahiba wrote:Bolex are/were in the business of making making machines to record the moving image so it looks a logical progression to move onto camcorders.
Yes, this might be logical step. Unfortunately Bolex can't do this any more after giving that US-Canadian-company a license for putting a Bolex-sticker onto their Chinese cameras...
This space was left intenionally blank.

Will2

Post by Will2 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:58 pm

Tscan wrote:I watched the samples on Vimeo and they don't look like anything special at all. Aside from it looking like typical HD video, most of it was very milky and sports an aweful magenta cast.
Like the Black Magic Cinema Camera, it's going to be all about the colorist. Very few people that buy this will have the experience to make the footage look good.

carllooper

Post by carllooper » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:55 am

wahiba wrote:An upmarket camcorder using the Bolex brand.

Bolex are/were in the business of making making machines to record the moving image so it looks a logical progression to move onto camcorders. Canon managed it OK.

Certainly a better option than just sticking the Bolex name on a camera from the Universal Chinese Camcorder factory.
So where does it say the sensor is not made in China? And what would be the problem if it was? Where are the specifications for the chip? Buying into the Digital Bolex, as specified, is like buying a roll of film with "Kodak" printed on it but without knowing what type of film you were using.

Making "machines to record the moving image" is somewhat of a generalisation. The cameras Bolex made were to expose photo-chemical film. A camera made to expose photo-electronic chips requires some additional know how.

However I understand what you mean, but it's purely client-side logic. It's the same logic that motivates a company making horse saddles to retool and reskill for a car industry, because buyers of horses (and saddles) are becoming buyers of cars. It is the client or customer that is determining the so the called "logical progression" of the company (more so than the company).

GM Holden Ltd, commonly designated Holden, is an Australian automaker that operates in Australasia and is headquartered in Port Melbourne, Victoria. The company was founded in 1856 as a saddlery manufacturer. In 1908 it moved into the automotive field, before becoming a subsidiary of the United States-based General Motors (GM) in 1931. After becoming a subsidiary of GM, the company was named General Motors-Holden's Ltd, becoming Holden Ltd in 1998—the current name was adopted in 2005.

The art of making horse saddles doesn't guarantee a company will be able to make cars as well as they made horse saddles - although I imagine their car seats might have been quite comfortable. It's really just market forces at work. The logical progression is just the logical progression of any company - identifying and investing in what might be desired, such as a "moving image machine" (as distinct from a film camera) but also anything else for that matter.

In other words a Bolex digital camera would be no different from a Bolex refrigerator, or a Bolex washing machine - other than the latter items might cause a customer to scratch their head somewhat. The point is that it's not as if Bolex should make digital cameras just because they made film cameras. They could just as well make refrigerators or washing machines. The only reason they probably wouldn't is because the customer might not get it. It is precisely the customers association of "Bolex" with the otherwise general idea of "moving image machines", that means the Bolex brand on a camera might sell better than say: putting a washing machine brand on the camera.

But amongst film makers (as distinct from the average consumer) the term "Bolex" has meant something a bit more particular than just "manufacturers of moving image machines".

C
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/