Have you finished off your Kodachrome yet?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

super8man

Have you finished off your Kodachrome yet?

Post by super8man » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:03 pm

I did. I had a roll of 16mm K40 from 2006 in the freezer. Loaded up the Scoopic 16MS and went for a sail under the Golden Gate Bridge and shot the 2 minutes and some seconds that way. It was a fitting end to a great film.

I also shot some old VNF (all done with that thankfully) and some Tri-X just because I could.

After this I think Ektachrome 100D may be my goto film for 16mm...or perhaps some negative emulsion for daylight shooting...any hints?

Cheers,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Re: Have you finished off your Kodachrome yet?

Post by S8 Booster » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:01 pm

i still have about 6 or so K40 sound carts of somewhat varying and unpredictable storage history dated from about 1990. i decided not to haste shoot them to within the Dwayne deadline due to this uncertainty, so, i posted the other K40 posts to hear out if there could be an alternative solution available.

i think an alternative is a difficult task but if one could to grips with an reasonable solution id be happy to go that way rather than wasting to much money on haste shoot and "D" processing now.

ill keep them in the freezer and rather play with them for sound testing if all else processing options fails....

shoot .. film
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...

carllooper

Post by carllooper » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:19 am

Why rush. There's always the plasmagnetic electrochemical rechromatic holodevaporising hydrogrammatic K40 processor that can be put together.

Or to put it another way - there is no practical alternative - shoot now.

Carl
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/

nickrapak

Post by nickrapak » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:29 am

Yes and no. I only have a single roll in the fridge, but I plan to shoot more in the coming weeks. I will be looking to buy good film dirt-cheap when people realize time's up, and then send it to Dwayne's next day air on the 28th.

Wade

Post by Wade » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:42 am

Had 25 feet of DS8 K40 and filmed the skaters at the ice rink, Pershing Square Downtown LA this weekend. That's the last of it. No more K40. Ist Kaputt!!!
Wade

David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:53 pm

Been done for about a year. The beauty of E100D takes some of the sting out of it. The archival qualities of Kodachrome will be sorely missed...

Nice fitting end to your Kodachrome days Super8man! Down to E100D for color reversal and Tri-X for B+W...

Will2

Post by Will2 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:19 pm

My last roll of Sound Kodachrome is going into Mike's former Elmo Super Wide F20S-XL tonight to shoot some rock bands. It's the best use I can come up with.

Thanks again Mike!

Then the Vision 3 500T gets loaded up when that's gone.

Where besides mymovietransfer.com can I get a good HD transfer of sound film?

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:24 am

I think my chances of getting my K40 sound cart to Dwaynes before the due date are nil. I don't even have a working sound camera! Rather than rush it, I think it's best to wait for an appropriate type of subject and shoot accordingly. Just have to find someone who can process the film as black and white.

ghostmouth

Post by ghostmouth » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:16 pm

Have two rolls of Kodachrome 40 that came with various cameras I purchased on Ebay. One came from a Bell & Howell from the late 60's and from the condition the camera was in I'd surprised if it was every used. The other one came with a Canon 310xl so it could be as old as the late 70's. Both these rolls were open and possible partially shot. It is very unlikely they were stored in any type of refrigeration. Is it even worth it to try to finish shooting and process these rolls. I don't care if what I get back looks crazy, I just want to make sure something is exposed/developed.

mr8mm

Post by mr8mm » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:05 pm

Martin Baumgarten claims he can process Kodachrome as sepia toned black and white. I am sure the price will not be cheap because it is a tedius process.

Basically shoot it and send it to Dwayne's before 12/31/10.

J.S.

Nrk

Post by Nrk » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:07 pm

I'm going to shoot some time lapse footage over the next few weeks but am not going to shoot all of my remaining KC just for the sake of it. i'm hopeful that someday someone will come up with a way of colour processing the film, it might mean people will have purple faces and green teeth but that's fine with me.

nickrapak

Post by nickrapak » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:50 pm

Just to let you know, Mr. Baumgarten's price for 50' of S-8 Kodachrome as B&W reversal is $35.00. He can do it in true B&W or in sepia.

mr8mm

Post by mr8mm » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:51 am

Congrats to Martin for providing this service. He has my support. Now there is hope I can continuing using my S8 sound carts.

J.S.

Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:59 am

To date I have shot 4.5 rolls of sealed cold storage K40 form 1981/82 with my Leicina Special with the 10mm Cinegon (f5.6), i.e. cold weather bike riding with 3 second time exposures with a 0.5 second frame interval a la ST1 controller. The times are approximate. I attend to ship off to the US soon enough although I accept some color shift.

The nature of the shots are experimental but I am expecting the legendary K40 ability to resolve detail.

Is the K40 process by Martin B. legit? Any scanned examples? If that is working then a 3 layer digital analysis and extraction may be possible.

Mr. Carl Looper. Please step up to the plate. :)
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm

aj

Post by aj » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:33 pm

freedom4kids wrote:
Is the K40 process by Martin B. legit? Any scanned examples? If that is working then a 3 layer digital analysis and extraction may be possible.

Mr. Carl Looper. Please step up to the plate. :)
He can do the processing into BW. It is not some Kodak approved chemistry and process. The method has grown from experience and is a best practice.
Kind regards,

André