Why negative film?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

superadio

Why negative film?

Post by superadio » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 am

Hi. I am quite fresh to film. I see some films are negative film. Why and when could I use such film?

Ektagraphic

Re: Why negative film?

Post by Ektagraphic » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Negative films are used when you would need the great latitude (ability to be under or over exposed without a big difference in picture), they are available in fast speeds for very low lighting, great colors. Negative films, unless a positive print is created from it can't be projected since it's a negative so they are usually telecined. Teleine is basically to scan film into a computer to edit and put to DVD or some other digital media. Welcome to the world of film and best of luck to you.
Pull that old movie camera out of the closet! I'm sure it's hungry for some film!

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:55 pm

Negative film also offers benefits when making multiple copies of your film - either film copies or digitised copies. If you were shooting on reversal film, there is generally an increase in contrast when going from a positive to positive transfer process. So the copy of the film may end up being just a little bit more contrasty than you would have liked. A lot of negative films are designed to be lower in contrast to begin with so that when a copy of your film is made, the amount of contrast usually ends up looking about right - ie not to high or too low.

Tscan

Post by Tscan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:49 pm

With reversal, your limited to a certain look. Not much head room... what you get is what you get. With negative, depending on a viariety of ways to expose and process your film, there is a lot you can do in post telecine to create certain looks.
Reborn member since Sept 2003

Ektagraphic

Post by Ektagraphic » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:09 pm

The only problem is that many places offering inexpensive telecine won't do negative film. www.just8mm.com will though.
Pull that old movie camera out of the closet! I'm sure it's hungry for some film!

Will2

Post by Will2 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:44 pm

www.just8mm.com will though.
I've been shooting R8 and S8 for years in Texas and never heard of these guys but it says they transfer more 8mm than any company in the country.

Too bad they don't do HD.

Ektagraphic

Post by Ektagraphic » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:27 pm

I am going to give them a try. Maybe they will have an HD option sooner or later. The samples on the website look pretty good. Idk...we'll see.