100D HD Test

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Tscan

100D HD Test

Post by Tscan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:48 am

I've upgraded my Workprinter setup (and drove Roger crazy) to do HDMI caprutes with my Sony HDR. I'm really liking it, starting to get my techniques dialed in. here's a sample of what I would call my first success in making the jump to HD... Captured full HDMI, rendered to HDV 1440x1080

http://www.vimeo.com/13946277

Here's a more recent piece shot with HDV and 100D S8 transfered to HDMI and downconverted to HDV-

http://www.vimeo.com/14873830
Reborn member since Sept 2003

MovieStuff

Re: 100D HD Test

Post by MovieStuff » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:47 am

Great job. Looks like you're getting your set up tuned in. The 100D looks terrific.

Roger

bolextech

Post by bolextech » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:13 pm

Hi Anthony,

Very nice results overall. However, I do notice that all your transfers show pin-cushion distortion. Has to be lens on the Sony camera you're using.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada

MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:47 pm

bolextech wrote:Hi Anthony,

Very nice results overall. However, I do notice that all your transfers show pin-cushion distortion. Has to be lens on the Sony camera you're using.
Incorrect. If your camera is at the appropriate distance, pin cushion and barrel distortion are controlled by the placement of the projection lens relative to the film plane and the condenser lens. The appropriate way to get rid of distortion is to move the projection lens back and forth and watch the frame lines until they straighten out. This will most likely make the image go out of focus at some point, which is expected. Then you use the camera lens to reclaim focus. One should never try to focus with the projection lens because doing so will change the size and shape of the image. On some cameras, you need to use a Hoya +1 close up filter. It won't allow the camera to be any closer but it will allow you find the sweet spot where even illumination and focus are achievable from the same camera position.

Hope this helps.

Roger

bolextech

Post by bolextech » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Didn't know you were using a condenser lens as part of the set-up.
This might well be the culprit, as Roger says.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada

Tscan

Post by Tscan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:50 pm

Yes, i'm using the condensor setup. Like I said, still getting the kinks worked out. I'm also still trying to tune up the new 100D. Going to make some white card shots for WB and more accurate colors, got a new 2 stop polorizer for the Canon 814XLS. And eventually going to try my hand at transferring V3 stocks with some filtration and the Neg feature on my Sony. Given all this new stuff like HD, 100D, V3 ect... it's yet another exciting rebirth for S8 (minus the loss of PlusX).
Reborn member since Sept 2003