Bit torrent: A technical pyramid scheme?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Uppsala BildTeknik

Re: Bit torrent: A technical pyramid scheme?

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:13 am

Also, if this would be a torent that is not downloaded so heavily (at the end of its prime time?), then you cannot have hard rules that say everyone has to at least seed until they have 0.8 in share ratio for this torrent, or something like that. Because what if there are no more downloaders? Pretty hard to seed then.

So the last guy would have a seed ratio ot 0.0 because nobody is there to download it, and you can´t expect people to hold on to a torrent for ages, just to find someone who would download it. Well you could expect that from your buddies, but not from the average downloader.

christoph

Post by christoph » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:41 am

MovieStuff wrote: But, again, my general question is whether this is seen as a general distribution tool that allows access by people outside the network or whether it is really only practical as a group-peer exchange mechanism where there is an agreed upon code of ethics involved.
it works great on sites where there are mainly people pirating movies and games, so i wouldnt worry about ethics too much ;)

seriously, it will work no matte what, but if you have a nice group of people it will work great, and if you have jerks i will work but slow (after all, you can keep seeding indefinitely yourself).

Let me give a scenario: You have a movie that you made and you want the world to see it. So you ask 20 of your internet buddies to agree to host the various pieces of your torrent so that the world at large can download it more easily and it won't cost you an arm and a leg in bandwidth.
that will work no matter what. as soon as you have 10 reliable seeders it doesnt matter anymore if the other people understand that they should keep seeding because they will at least while they download.

so, two scenarios here too:

the movie becomes hugely popular and 1000 people want to see it (starcraft2 has like 5000 seeders at the moment). in that case, the 10 buddies would not be enough if they were the only seeders, but in 1000 people there will be at least 300seeding too, which is way more then enough.

or..

only 20 more people are interested, and so your 10friends will be enough by far to keep the torrent alive.
See what I'm getting at?
kinda, but as said above, the torrents will work anyway as long as you are involved in the seeders. it's just faster and more fun if other people stay in too. if you'e not the seeder yourself, i'd say the critical mass is about 5 seeders.

++ c.

christoph

Post by christoph » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:43 am

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:So the last guy would have a seed ratio ot 0.0 because nobody is there to download it, and you can´t expect people to hold on to a torrent for ages, just to find someone who would download it. Well you could expect that from your buddies, but not from the average downloader.
you pretty much hit the main problem on elite trackers where need high ratios or get kicked. what happens is that everybody tries to find a very popular torrent early on so that they can collect credits for uploads. quite a pain really.

the trick with controllin torrents is having your own tracker where people can only log in affter registration, so the admin can kick them like in the forum here ;)

++c.

ps: i don't quite get why we are discussing all this on a filmshooting forum though, a google search would answer all this in 10minutes:
http://www.google.com/search?q=controll ... ech+ratios

pps: sorry for all the typos in the last posts.. too lazy to correct them though :P