Bolex H8 time-lapse motor recommendations

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

deVere

Bolex H8 time-lapse motor recommendations

Post by deVere » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:05 pm

Can anyone recommend a time-lapse motor for the Bolex H8 and anywhere I might find one? I'm interested in the full spectrum of motors, I know there will probably be quite a huge range of prices!

Thanks.

Blue Audio Visual

Re: Bolex H8 time-lapse motor recommendations

Post by Blue Audio Visual » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:59 pm

It's going to depend on which version of the H8 you've got.

IIRC the only one with a 1:1 drive shaft is the very last reflex version (Rex-4?), i think this should be OK with time-lapse motors for the later H16 models (e.g. which also have a 1:1 drive shaft).

Tobin Cinema Systems used to make them, but they are out of production now so it would be a case of scouring ebay...

Not sure what options you have if it is an older H8.

deVere

Post by deVere » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:59 pm

thanks.

It's the older version, the H8 RX. I had a self-built motor that worked well for a year or so but too much use and it's starting to fall apart. Would like to upgrade but just not sure what to get....if a Tobin was to work that would be great, some of those designs are incredible but I think the camera model is too old.

sciolist

Post by sciolist » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:19 pm

deVere wrote:Can anyone recommend a time-lapse motor for the Bolex H8 and anywhere I might find one? I'm interested in the full spectrum of motors, I know there will probably be quite a huge range of prices!

Thanks.
These devices should work with Bolex H series cameras having an 8:1 driveshaft:

http://www.intervalometers.com/timeflow/index.php
http://www.intervalometers.com/