RED vs Film (Color Comparison) Youtube)

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

RED vs Film (Color Comparison) Youtube)

Post by S8 Booster » Thu May 20, 2010 2:06 pm

Of course very youtubish quality but nevertheless:
RED vs Film (Color Comparison)

more examples linked at thepage.

shoot...
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...

etimh

Re: RED vs Film (Color Comparison) Youtube)

Post by etimh » Thu May 20, 2010 8:04 pm

That is a great side-by-side sample. What a difference! Simply no comparison.

Tim
FilmAid International
http://www.filmaid.org

Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik » Thu May 20, 2010 11:16 pm

One big question is of course how much did they process/colorcorrect both footage to get the look they wanted to get. This clip shows nothing, IMHO.

etimh

Post by etimh » Fri May 21, 2010 12:09 am

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:One big question is of course how much did they process/colorcorrect both footage to get the look they wanted to get. This clip shows nothing, IMHO.
Who cares.

I'll still gleefully use it as PROPAGANDA against the forces of evil. :P

Tim
FilmAid International
http://www.filmaid.org

Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik » Fri May 21, 2010 1:35 am

Well for that purpose it will work just fine! :)

Will2

Post by Will2 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:43 am

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:One big question is of course how much did they process/colorcorrect both footage to get the look they wanted to get. This clip shows nothing, IMHO.
Exactly.

Yes film looks great and can look better than anything else. It is the "gold standard" for now. But the Red can look AMAZING when processed correctly. You just have to put the same time into the Red you take to color film.

Check out this set of tests and tell me film "blows away" digital...

http://www.zacuto.com/shootout

Most of us shooting small format like film for its "less than perfect" qualities rather than the pristine look of 35mm.

DonFito

Post by DonFito » Fri May 21, 2010 10:06 am

From "http://www.zacuto.com/shootout"

The lightbulb is amazing, can even see the filament, and the flares, ohhh the flares....
Cheers,

Rafael Rivera
www.donfito.com

MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:57 am

Will2 wrote:But the Red can look AMAZING when processed correctly. You just have to put the same time into the Red you take to color film.
...so after all, why to use a RED then instead of film? 8)

Angus

Post by Angus » Fri May 21, 2010 12:28 pm

If you read their paper they admit there is no processing performed on the RED footage...and that the footage shown in the comparison would never get anywhere near an audience.

No doubt it could be improved with time spent at a computer.....but the raw footage from the 35mm film is vastly superior.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)

Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual » Fri May 21, 2010 12:34 pm

The raw footage from the 35mm film is negative with an orange bias, so difficult to say that it is vastly superior surely?

Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik » Fri May 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Angus wrote:...but the raw footage from the 35mm film is vastly superior.
But this clip has not shown anything about this. You do know that 35mm film will always require extensive colorcorrection?

Angus

Post by Angus » Fri May 21, 2010 11:37 pm

Blue Audio Visual wrote:The raw footage from the 35mm film is negative with an orange bias, so difficult to say that it is vastly superior surely?
Touche.

A very good point.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)

MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff » Sat May 22, 2010 2:30 am

Blue Audio Visual wrote:The raw footage from the 35mm film is negative with an orange bias, so difficult to say that it is vastly superior surely?
This is so true and a position that I have held for a while. The comparisons always show the RAW digital file non-color corrected compared to a positive, CC version of a color negative. Very silly. If they want to show the RAW digital file then they need to show the orange, masked negative as well.

Also, even when looking at a positive image, when I had negatives scanned at a lab, I always had them scanned super flat with very little gamma. To look at that raw positive scan one would surely think that negative was crap. People that think digital can't look good should watch "Jumper". It was shot with a mixture of 35mm and the Red camera and, honestly, I could not detect what was shot with what. Likewise, Gibson's Apocalyto was shot on the Genesis camera almost totally. The hand held running shots in the jungle were shot a bit on Super 16, I think. Again, they intercut seamlessly. Digital is definately getting better.

Roger

woods01

Post by woods01 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:23 am

I thought for the most part that Apocalypto looked like crap so they succeeded in making the film look bad as well! Especially the opening sequence in the village, it all looked very video. They had an Arri 435 on standby for any slow motion work.

But to the topic at hand, this comparison is bollocks without timing the RED footage.

Will2

Post by Will2 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:14 am

so after all, why to use a RED then instead of film?
Because I could never afford to shoot 35mm and the RED or Canon 5D can look better than 16mm in many circumstances. Not all, but many.
The lightbulb is amazing, can even see the filament, and the flares, ohhh the flares...
Yes it is amazing. The next time I have to shoot a clear light bulb I'll make sure I use 35mm. Other than that, it's tough to tell the difference as several of those DPs said.

When you're looking for that ultra sharp, "perfect" 35mm look, DSLRs and RED are worth checking out. When you want what only small format can give you, go small format.