35mm Kodachrome Still Available??

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Tyler

35mm Kodachrome Still Available??

Post by Tyler » Tue May 11, 2010 7:34 pm

Does anyone know of any stores that still have 35mm Kodachrome in stock. I am about to leave on a road trip this weekend and wanted to get more Kodachrome to take with me. I tried calling Dwayne's Photo and they said they no longer had any.

Any other suggestions??

reflex

Re: 35mm Kodachrome Still Available??

Post by reflex » Tue May 11, 2010 8:20 pm

There are still some rolls on Amazon. Not cheap, though.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... fix=kodach
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology

JCook

Post by JCook » Wed May 12, 2010 6:20 pm

I'm just about in the same boat as you. I have a few rolls of Kodachrome 64 color slide film left. Enough to last through summer and then poof.

Looking beyond the cutoff of Kodachrome processing, anyone have suggestions for other "fine grain" low speed daylight color slide film once Kodachrome is gone? I've read that E100G has fine grain w/out the over-saturated colors of Fuji stock, any other suggestions?

I'd love to shoot a roll or two of K25 before it's all gone if anyone has some they'd like to part with.

Tyler I'll check and see how many rolls of 64 slides I have left in the fridge. I think I only have two left, if it turns out to be 5 or 6 I'll PM you.

JCook

Post by JCook » Wed May 12, 2010 10:09 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Rolls-Kodachrome ... 19bc1d882a

Anyone interested in a twilight group buy? :lol:

$$$$, ouch, I'd only be interested in 3-4 rolls.

Regards, John

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Tue May 18, 2010 8:51 am

Oh man, I am kicking myself. Last evening, there was this really surreal sunset out in the Australian bush where I'm currently staying. It covered a huge expanse of sky...much bigger than your unusual sunset - all these majestic clouds filled with an orangish / pinkish colour. And I could not take a single photograph because I had just finished my last roll of Kodachrome 64. And I could have taken a shot...if I had not stuffed up just minutes previously.

Just beforehand, I was shooting a row of trees on a hill in the late afternoon light with a mix of dark and light clouds in the background (we had some really striking cloud formations throughout the day actually.) I am more used to using one of those old, manual SLRs but at the time I was using a modern Canon EOS which I hadn't used for a little bit. I didn't have many shots left on this film.

At first, I had set up the camera for shutter speed priority but the situation dictated that I should switch to manual exposure. The reason I stuffed up is a combination of me being just a little out of practise at using this modern SLR and the fact that I was just not thinking straight. When I saw the f stop (in this case f11) in the viewfinder and then saw the same f stop on the LCD monitor on the top of the camera, I just asssumed that the camera was suggesting that this was the appropriate f stop to use (in my current strange / illogical way of thinking.) So I took a total of three shots (bracketing on either side of f11. )

Then I sudddenly realised...Shivers! That's right...when using these modern SLRs, you have to keep rotating this dial, scrolling through the various f stops until a pointer lines up with a mark in the viewfinder. So I had just wasted three frames and I didn't have much film left. So I took another three shots (this time bracketing on either side of the supposedly appropriate f stop - f4. Then the light became more intense and the clouds took on more interesting formations...so I took another two shots and that was the last of the film.

Then walking back to camp, I was greeted by that amazing surrreal sunset I mentioned in the beginning of my post. I was out of K64 and I had also used up my Fuji negative film earlier in the day. I had nothing with which to photograph this sunset. And I know all the digital shooters would simply say 'oh you should have been shooting on digital - there would be no problem.' Well I could have photographed this sunset on film..if I hadn't wasted those three shots just beforehand...that's the sole reason why I couldn't photograph it. I would have really liked to photograph something really special on my last batch of Kodachrome and this unusual sunset really screamed out for it. But it just wasn't to be.