16mm negatives to hd in europe

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mauka

16mm negatives to hd in europe

Post by mauka » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:42 pm

Hi,

Could you recommend any places in europe that can do hd transfers to hard drive from 16mm negatives.

Thanks, Mauri

MIKI-814

Re: 16mm negatives to hd in europe

Post by MIKI-814 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:10 pm

http://www.ochoypico.com. Perfect job and good prices too.

mauka

Post by mauka » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:19 pm

Those prizes looks reasonable. Other suggestions are also welcome. I'm shooting shorts-ends anyway, so they doesn't have to be topnotch transfer houses.

Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:55 pm

From their webpage I get the feeling that they are using some old projector for the transfers (modified for frame-by-frame captures). If this is a fact then I wouldn´t recommend sending them negative films due to the risc of scratching the film.

I actually emailed them asking what Telecine equipment they use. I haven´t gotten any answer yet... So either this is not a full time occupation for them (if they haven´t checked their emails yet) or they just decided not to answer my questions...?

It seems weird, either way.

IMHO negative films need to be telecined with a proper telecine machine. They shouldn´t be run through a projector, ever. Hell even a viewer that doesen´t have pressure plates and stuff can scratch negative films. At least this happened to one of my clients from Australia. He ran the negative films through a viewer and they ended up with scratches. Very small and very weak scratches, but still. The scratches were visible at a few places on the reel.

mauka

Post by mauka » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:56 pm

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:From their webpage I get the feeling that they are using some old projector for the transfers (modified for frame-by-frame captures).
You are probably right, Kent. But is there any places that can do that in this price range? It's just that I wouldn't want to send films to US to get telecined, mainly because of customs fees and long shipping times.

Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:09 pm

I just received an answer from them a few minutes ago.

They are using some kind of DIY solution, and most probably they are using a old projector for the filmtransport (he didn´t specify this , but 99.99% of all DIY unit use old projectors, so...).

I don´t know of any Telecine houses in Europe that use a professional 16mm telecine machine. Wel at least not anyone who are offering transfers with low prices anyway.

How about http://www.smalfilm.no/en ? I can´t seem to find any prices, so I have no idea how much he charges.

mauka

Post by mauka » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Hmm... All this makes shooting with HDSLR very tempting idea...

christoph

Post by christoph » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:37 pm

mauka wrote:Hmm... All this makes shooting with HDSLR very tempting idea...
the recent dSLRs with video mode are very tempting for a lot of reasons. they are small, have good low light abilities, great control over depth of field and production costs are dead cheap.
so if you have no money, it's probably your best option, but the way of working and the end result will be very different to what you'd get shooting on 16mm. it really depends a lot on your project and personal preferences.
personally i feel that film stock is more emotional engaging, and much kinder to human faces, even if some digital formats offer higher resolution these days (not dSLRs though).

there are tons and tons of transfer houses who offer very good quality 16mm transfers (i know about 5 in berlin), they are usually not cheap, but if you have a low-budget project and ask around you might be able to get a favor somewhere.
but even with good deals on stock, processing and transfers, you're still looking at something like 20EUR/minute of footage, so for a short film of 10minutes with a shooting ratio of 1:5, that's about 1000EUR.

++ christoph

CineGuerrilha

Post by CineGuerrilha » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:10 pm

they do:

www.stopp.se