Any Super 8 features going on at the moment?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Scotness

Any Super 8 features going on at the moment?

Post by Scotness » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:18 am

Or any recently finished? Anyone know?

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K

Scotness

Re: Any Super 8 features going on at the moment?

Post by Scotness » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:55 am

Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:51 pm

In all honesty I gave up on Super8 for a feature 6 or more years ago. If you are going to shoot S8 then just shoot 16 and save yourself the headaches.

S8 is still great and I will continue to argue to use it on music videos and what not. But not for a feature.

Good Luck

MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:22 pm

Nigel wrote:I
S8 is still great and I will continue to argue to use it on music videos and what not. But not for a feature.
I would tend to agree. In fact, I find it ironic when hard-core super 8 users roll their collective eyes at digital, usually stating,"Why spend all the time trying to make digital look like super 8..." but think nothing of spending even more time trying to use digital tools to correct for jumpy super 8 due to bad carts, etc. I think I'd rather use my limited computer time doing something creative rather than remedial. I love the look of film but I no longer believe that you have to shoot film to get the look that audiences will accept as film.

Roger

woods01

Post by woods01 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:19 am

Does Guy Maddin have a new feature coming out? He's about the only one regularly shooting complete features on S8.

Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:19 am

MovieStuff wrote:I love the look of film but I no longer believe that you have to shoot film to get the look that audiences will accept as film.

Roger
Heresy !

richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:30 am

I have a customer in New Zealand who is working on a 'feature'. It will be feature length but far from a conventional feature. His films are best cursorily described as 'underground'. Emit Snake-Beings is his name. I quite like his stuff - no pretension and no conformity. He's out there! Snakes runs the Hamilton Underground Film Festival in NZ.
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au

Scotness

Post by Scotness » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:31 pm

Nigel wrote:If you are going to shoot S8 then just shoot 16 and save yourself the headaches.
I agree - in fact you could probably even stick the C mount lense off the Beaulieu 4008 onto an R16 and effectively frame for Super 8 on a 16mm frame - great choice of stocks and no jitter.
MovieStuff wrote: but think nothing of spending even more time trying to use digital tools to correct for jumpy super 8 due to bad carts, etc.
Agree totally - I know that pain.
MovieStuff wrote: I love the look of film but I no longer believe that you have to shoot film to get the look that audiences will accept as film.
Nooooooooooooo - La Belle Dame digital sans merci hath thee enthrall?? (of course you're right - but it's not the same)
richard p. t. wrote:I have a customer in New Zealand who is working on a 'feature'. ..... He's out there!
Man you're not kidding - I just checked his web page
http://www.snakebeings.co.nz/films/
- kind of cool though.

Anyway re Super 8 and features now - although I'm doing alot of doco work at the moment - I'm planning a feature to shoot in the latter half of next year - on 16mm -- I think I'll crop it to be 16:9 - which will make it nice and grainy - which will suit the subject matter well.

Scot

RichardB

Post by RichardB » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:19 pm

16mm is great yeah... ...if you can afford it! I'm planning on making a feature with a friend this summer, we're still scripting it but will be using reversal stocks (probably 64T, though if we can get it cheap enough, 100D in a Kaccema).

If you're learning about filmmaking, Super 8 is the best format to make your first feature on - the cameras have fantastic functionality, stock isnt so expensive that you sob uncontrollably when it gets lost/ruined after you send it for processing, or you find out your camera has a problem, and using it has a charm of its own.
http://www.rickbaines.com
http://www.shredaholic.com
http://www.insta-mapper.com

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:35 pm

While I agree Super8 is a great format to learn filmmaking with that doesn't equate to first feature.

One would hope the filmmaker would make a few shorts first. Even use some video. Then when the time is right attempt a feature.

That said. I think when you really drill down and look behind and beyond the surface numbers you will see 16 is a better value. Because you have less headaches, more choice, better workflows which all add up to a better product than Super8.

Think about it.

Good Luck

reflex

Post by reflex » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:19 pm

Nigel wrote:One would hope the filmmaker would make a few shorts first. Even use some video. Then when the time is right attempt a feature.
I strongly agree, especially when it comes to shooting video. Beginners should borrow a camcorder and practice the art of visual storytelling.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology

Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:24 pm

MovieStuff wrote: I find it ironic when hard-core super 8 users roll their collective eyes at digital, usually stating,"Why spend all the time trying to make digital look like super 8..." but think nothing of spending even more time trying to use digital tools to correct for jumpy super 8 due to bad carts, etc.
Just a note to anyone thinking of making an S8 feature - during the making of "Sleep Always", we spent zero time correcting for jumpy super 8, zero time correcting for "etc.", and zero time trying to make it look like film, since it was film, and thus looked fantastic right outta the box.

We did have to spend some time dealing with files the computer corrupted all by it's own self, though......
MovieStuff wrote: I think I'd rather use my limited computer time doing something creative rather than remedial.
Digital dropout on the tape cannot be remedied at all.
MovieStuff wrote: I love the look of film but I no longer believe that you have to shoot film to get the look that audiences will accept as film.

Roger
The most technically un-savvy folks on the planet disagree; I'm talking about the couples who pay big time extra money to the prodco for which I work to have Super 8 footage included in their wedding videos.

These are the type of people who look at a Super 8 camera and ask, "does it have words?" One assumes they mean sound.....yet one look at the difference in the image produced and it's "oooh" and "aaaahhh" and out comes the wallet.

It follows that if these folks can see the difference to such a degree, it's a pretty damn big difference!

The idea is to produce the movie on the format suited to it's conceit. For Rick and I, we specifically intended to bypass theatrical release, but still wanted a film look, and one with visible grain, since the film was an adventure of the mind. Even 16mm would have been too clean.

Finally, the OP asked if there were any S8 features in the works, not what anyone thought of the format for said application. Since this is the "small gauge film forum", one wonders what value there is in dismissing S8 across the board as a viable feature film format, without addressing the main point - does it suit the film's conceit?

Mitch

MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:09 pm

Mitch Perkins wrote: Just a note to anyone thinking of making an S8 feature - during the making of "Sleep Always", we spent zero time correcting for jumpy super 8, zero time correcting for "etc.", and zero time trying to make it look like film, since it was film, and thus looked fantastic right outta the box.
Agreed. Sleep Always did look terrific. But that doesn't negate the fact that much super 8 has jitter problems that have to be dealt with, whatever the cause. That possibility can certainly be a factor when the question is asked, "Are there any super 8 features going on at the moment?" and all the OP gets is tumbleweeds and crickets as a response.
Mitch Perkins wrote:We did have to spend some time dealing with files the computer corrupted all by it's own self, though......
Yeah that's sometimes a problem but, unlike unwanted and surprising jitter, there are easy and cost effective solutions for corruption such as making back ups.
Mitch Perkins wrote:
The most technically un-savvy folks on the planet disagree...
Some do, for sure. But my un-scientific sampling says that most don't care, even if they do detect a difference. Again, this isn't about whether digital is as good as film and that has never been the argument. My point is that most audiences today don't seem to care, as long as it looks "good enough". There really is no point arguing that because it is subjective and the number of 24p productions are only going up and up. There has never been a theatrical feature that failed because it was shot on digital but there are plenty of features that failed despite being shot on film.
Mitch Perkins wrote: Finally, the OP asked if there were any S8 features in the works, not what anyone thought of the format for said application. Since this is the "small gauge film forum", one wonders what value there is in dismissing S8 across the board as a viable feature film format, without addressing the main point - does it suit the film's conceit?
I agree that the super 8 look is viable for certain things and even for features. But I simply disagree that shooting super 8 is the only way to get the super 8 look. Also, if the OP asks if there are any super 8 features going on and the answer is "no" or "not many", then discussing the reasons why (such as jittery carts, etc) is certainly on-topic, in my opinion.

Roger

Thierry

Post by Thierry » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:35 pm

we showed "Love suicide" at the festival early May. So yes , there's still new super 8 feature

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8ptlx ... s?from=rss
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.

Friedrich Nietzsche
-----

http://www.cambridge-super8.org

Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:51 am

richard p. t. wrote: I quite like his stuff - no pretension and no conformity.
richard
That combination is tough to pull off !