double vs single perf on K-100

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Davideo

double vs single perf on K-100

Post by Davideo » Fri May 29, 2009 1:14 am

Been practicing loading film on the Kodak K-100 and it loads great with double perf film but having trouble with single perf film. Does this camera only take double perf stock? Plenty of my stock is single perf and there's no sprockets on the top on the gear mechanism.

Davideo

Re: double vs single perf on K-100

Post by Davideo » Fri May 29, 2009 1:34 am

Searched the archives and see the difference between single perf "A" wind and "B" wind stock. Will check to see what I have...hopefully it's "B" wind.

Davideo

Post by Davideo » Fri May 29, 2009 1:48 am

Looking at my various stocks. How do I tell if it's single or double perf and A or B wind? Trying to decipher the codes. I see 1R and 2R...is that an indicator? If there's an older post about this, point me to it as I couldn't find anything.

Rob

Post by Rob » Fri May 29, 2009 1:28 pm

1R is single perf and 2R is double perf. Single perf film is only perforated along one edge, double perf has a corresponding set of perforations along the other edge.

Will2

Post by Will2 » Fri May 29, 2009 3:44 pm

The K-100 only needs single perf. Only pre-50's (or 40's) Kodak cameras would need double perf that I know of.

There really shouldn't be a reason it loads better with double perf so I'm not sure what you're encountering.

K-100 is a great camera, super reliable, easy to load and built well. Plus it has the longest run out of any 16mm winding camera that I know of.

ewanuno

Post by ewanuno » Sat May 30, 2009 1:52 am

sounds like a stupid question, but you are loading it the right way arround?
the first time i tried loading a reel of super 8 into a projector i was so excited i forgot that there was a right way around.

Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile » Sat May 30, 2009 9:44 am

The Kodak catalog is online now, they have a picture of wind positions and how to identify, one picture is worth a thousand words on this kind of thing:

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Pr ... /index.htm

Double perf is double perf, there is no a or b wind, that's only single perf, to designate which side the emulsion is on in relation to the perfs. Single perf camera film will load the same way unless someone has spooled it inside out.

All camera film is loaded emulsion out, too-- meaning the emulsion goes next to the gate. The emulsion is the flat side of the film. Technically some films are OK to load emulsion in, but it will effect definition because the image is going through the base to reach the emulsion. This can be a problem for prints and things made in-camera and can result in a wierd orientation, too.

Here's a tip-- after awhile get some camera-wind double perf print or intermediate stock to shoot-- it's super cheap-- like B/W high contrast. Big quantities from Kodak for low $$.