Was a Leather Jacket important in Camera Manuals?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Andersens Tears

Was a Leather Jacket important in Camera Manuals?

Post by Andersens Tears » Sat May 09, 2009 9:43 am

It seems that after looking through the user manuals/brochures of a few of the top end latter day super 8 sound cameras, most of the human 'models' used to demonstrate operation of the camera invariably were wearing leather jackets. Not only that, in some shade of brown. Furthermore it seems to be also important that the subject was male, had facial hair and was in his 30's. :)

Have a look at the manual/ brochures for the Canon 814/1014xl-s, the Bauer s709xl/A512 and Nizo 6080 and tell me I'm wrong!

Were men in their 30's with facial hair wearing brown leather jackets the only target consumer for these cameras? Did you have to be 'man' (i.e. in your 30's have facial hair and sport a leather jacket) enough to wield one of these big buggers with all the gizmos and stuff? :?

Anybody able to add to the number of apperences of this? Any pictures?

Sorry, maybe I should stop reading too much into the manuals and just read them! :D

aj

Re: Was a Leather Jacket important in Camera Manuals?

Post by aj » Sat May 09, 2009 11:16 am

Well, people in The French connection or Bond films of that time are dressed and groomed differently too. Cars look very different :)

Check photography magazines of the time... Looks very different too.

It is just generally how fashion was then.

Fujica manuals have the sweetest of scenes in them. Early manga :)
Kind regards,

André

BK

Post by BK » Sat May 09, 2009 12:36 pm

Guess back then it was super cool to have a beard, wearing a fashionable leather jacket, be seen with a highend Canon/Bauer/Nizo and belong to that successful /professional 30's generation. Well, that's what the ad agencies want you to believe in anyway.

You're right about the leather jacket but clean shaven though:

Look at these guys at the Single 8 camp...they mean business with the serious look on their faces:

Bill
Last edited by BK on Sat May 09, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears » Sat May 09, 2009 1:44 pm

aj wrote:It is just generally how fashion was then.
I'm just imagining a cloned warrior race of bebearded leather jacketed men in their 30's running and gunning about town with their big lensed cameras - the year is 1982 and they are the last of the Super 8 warrior class fighting a struggling battle against the evil that was video! :lol:

Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears » Sat May 09, 2009 1:49 pm

BK wrote:Guess back then it was super cool to have a beard, wearing a fashionable leather jacket, be seen with a highend Canon/Bauer/Nizo and belong to that successful /professional 30's generation. Well, that's what the ad agencies want you to believe in anyway.
Bill
Oh yes indeed! What about the ladies though?
BK wrote:You're right about the leather jacket but clean shaven though:

Bill
Couldn't open that image Bill - could you try to post it again?
BK wrote: Look at these guys at the Single 8 camp...they mean business with the serious look on their faces:
Bill
Those are great Bill! They look ready for business indeed! They look like a heroic trio! :D

Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears » Sat May 09, 2009 2:03 pm

OK, so I'm gonna try to balance this out a bit! I have a picture of my wife somewhere filming me with a big gun! ... will post as soon as I can work out how to add photos here!

BK

Post by BK » Sat May 09, 2009 3:13 pm

Jamie, Here's the link to the picture:

http://www.bolexcollector.com/images/ep ... bro008.jpg

Bill

Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears » Sat May 09, 2009 4:47 pm

BK wrote:Jamie, Here's the link to the picture:

http://www.bolexcollector.com/images/ep ... bro008.jpg

Bill
Thanks Bill!

jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss » Sat May 09, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi,

it looks like Fuji was the only company targeting women (especially mothers) as users of their simpler cameras:
http://www.super8site.com/fanzine/aktue ... gle8.shtml

Nevertheless other companies used female models as well:
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/1967-Vivitar-Sup ... otohosting

... and here some bearded men:
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... &indexURL=
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/RARE-1977-Minolt ... 0336810615

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.

Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears » Fri May 29, 2009 3:43 pm

... after 3 years of having the same avatar picture I'm experimenting with some new ones - this is a found image - from some mail order catalogue. It seems it wasn't just men who meant business wearing leather in the 70's - ladies did it too! :)

Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile » Sat May 30, 2009 9:57 am

The Canon 1014XLS guy is classically goofy-- he was idiotic the day that camera came out. I bought one in the early 80s and laughed out loud when I saw the manual-- trust me, that must have been some weird European look or something. I don't think anyone in real life ever dressed that way. At least not over here.

he looks a little uptight, too...

Leather jackets went out in about 1973, when they all started to turn green. You know how the average super 8 guy dressed back then in the late 70s? Jeans, Converse tennis shoes, flannel shirts or T-shirts, maybe a windbreaker, even white pants on a fancy day. And scruffier hair than the Canon guy.

Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears » Sat May 30, 2009 2:57 pm

Jim Carlile wrote:The Canon 1014XLS guy is classically goofy-- he was idiotic the day that camera came out. I bought one in the early 80s and laughed out loud when I saw the manual-- trust me, that must have been some weird European look or something. I don't think anyone in real life ever dressed that way. At least not over here.

he looks a little uptight, too...

Leather jackets went out in about 1973, when they all started to turn green. You know how the average super 8 guy dressed back then in the late 70s? Jeans, Converse tennis shoes, flannel shirts or T-shirts, maybe a windbreaker, even white pants on a fancy day. And scruffier hair than the Canon guy.
Have you seen the guy in the Bauer A512/709 profi set manual? He makes the Canon 1014xl-s guy look tame and smart! This guy has wild hair and a big moustache! You're right though the Canon guy look a little up tight - the picture of him demonstrating how to hold the hand held mic is the best - he looks like he's gonna punch somebody! :o