Bolex Multimatic projector ..special cartridges

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

ronnoco

Bolex Multimatic projector ..special cartridges

Post by ronnoco » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:03 pm

Hi people

I put this request in the 'wanted' section of the forum....but not sure how many folk have seen my plea...no replies at all.....I need some of these things urgently if anyone can help...here's my original message....

I have just acquired a Bolex Multimatic Projector, however, it did not come with the special cartridges that hold the small 50 foot super 8 film reels.
If anyone has any of these carts to sell I would be most grateful.
Ideally I would like a set of 6 but anything anyone may have would be great...good price paid plus shipping to UK...MANY THANKS

Jim Carlile

Re: Bolex Multimatic projector ..special cartridges

Post by Jim Carlile » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:58 am

You're in luck-- that's an easy one. This place has about a whole warehouse full of them that they never sell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOLEX-MULTIMATIC-FI ... RCH:US:101

Pittsburgh Camera Exchange-- just call them up.

They don't come with the 50 foot reels, though-- I think you need to use the old-fashioned one-sided kind, but I could be wrong.

I'm sure Bolex in Switzerland has them, too- they even repair those great projectors, still. Some cartridge box-sets have the reels included with them.

Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:09 am

P.S.

Check this out. Multimatic Heaven:

http://pghcamex.com/index.php?main_page ... multimatic

One thing about this place-- they're hard to get ahold of-- use the phone, they have a wierd email policy-- they just ignore it.

I don't see any reels in there, though-- I think you have to supply your own. Do you have the manual?

BTW, a totally cool projector-- tailor made for art exhibits, cafes, whatever-- that's what they were made for. You can run them for hours and just keep slipping in cartridges, or program it to play the same ones over and over. Unique.

Lots of them around too, brand-new, because they DIDN'T SELL- they actually put Bolex out of business.

Most of the projectors have been picked over though-- because many of them had the incredibly sharp, super-fast Bolex 'Hi-Fi' lenses that the projector boys lust after.

ronnoco

Post by ronnoco » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:04 am

Thanks for the reply Jim....I had found the Pittsburgh Camera Exchange website but their shipping costs to the UK are extortionate for a few bits of very light plastic.

Jesse Chambless shipped 5 carts to me in the UK for $15 plus $20 for the carts...pretty resonable/fair costs I thought.

The camera exchange place want $49 for the carts and $42 to ship to the UK...thats a rip off in my book.

I find the information on their website strange....they have a set of 6 carts for $9 and go on to say 'what you see is what you get' (is something wrong with them ?).They also list 3 other sets of 6 carts ranging from $26 to $49...but no information as to why there is such a price difference between the sets....leaves me feeling a little apprehensive about dealing with them.

I contacted Bolex in Switzerland....unfortunately they dont have any.

Your spot on about the projector though...its superb...intended use for it is a visual element for live band performance ...so I do need to get my hands on more than the 5 carts I got from Jesse Chambless...

Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:47 am

I know-- they are an odd place-- they have them on EBAY all the time and never sell any, so why they won't deal beats me. There are two different kinds of cartridges, both interchangeable, and theirs don't even contain the actual 50-foot reels, either.

Usually Chambless is the pricey one-- glad it worked out. That projector is perfect for installations.

Leonard Budihar

Post by Leonard Budihar » Fri May 15, 2009 1:53 pm

sounds so delicious! Thanks

rontoncine

Post by rontoncine » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:57 pm

Hello

Anyone out there who still needs some of these special cartridges I have a few available at £1.00 each plus postage.

rontoncine, West Midlands, UK

sciolist

Post by sciolist » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:34 pm

ronnoco wrote:....leaves me feeling a little apprehensive about dealing with them....
Their feedback rating suggests your apprehension is well-founded. I suspect they've gotten a new ID because feedback was so bad under their last.

Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:07 am

PCE refuses to answer their eBay email. You have to go to them directly, and even then, they could care less.

A few years back they had a warehouse full of the Multimatics-- that projector just never sold when it was new. The 8mm boys grabbed them all for the Hi-Fi lenses, at something like $29 each. But the cartridges still pop up often. Be sure you use the correct reels, though-- the old kind with one-sided slots. You can tape over the newer type if need be.