Making a battery for a Beaulieu 4008...

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

greg_8mm

Making a battery for a Beaulieu 4008...

Post by greg_8mm » Sun May 04, 2008 9:58 pm

So I recently bought a Beaulieu 4008 in good shape, even the original battery seems to work more than properly!! Though, after playing around with the camera (without cartridge) for a while I noticed that it started to shoot at a slower speed than indicated..

I figured it must have something to do with the battery because after recharging a whole night it runned at the correct speed again..

So I started reading about making your own batteries for a Beaulieu and figured it must not be too hard! Just some cells, providing a voltage of 7.2 volts for the camera and 3.6 volts for the lightmeter..

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna make a battery myself I still don't know yet what the best option is. I can open up the battery (the only one that I have) and recell it, only if I fuck up I won't have any battery. I can make an external battery pack, but I'd have to connect the wires directly to the camera connections since I don't have the external charger pack..

What do you think is the best option? Should I just open up the battery that I have or should I start ebay-ing for another (external) one? And do you have pictures/plans of how you made your batteries?

super8man

Re: Making a battery for a Beaulieu 4008...

Post by super8man » Sun May 04, 2008 11:22 pm

What's to be afraid of - you have a dead battery now right? So, open it up and see what can be done...I did that...and then I made my own...years ago now - its on my website...with pictures. Though I did it for a B2008.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/

greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm » Tue May 06, 2008 1:18 pm

Alright thanks! I had already stumbled upon that website, very informative indeed..

I'm gonna go to get cells soon this week, I will keep you posted on this little project..

So now that we're talking about Beaulieu's anyways, I was wondering one thing:

Why is the bottom side of the pistol handle not parallel to the lens? How on earth do you get proper pans on a tripod? How have you guys worked around this problem? Are there adapters that you screw on to the bottom of the handle? Do you remove the handle? Just wondering..

super8man

Post by super8man » Wed May 07, 2008 3:03 am

It was done for reasons of art, not function. There is an adapter - I had one but I sold it long ago. There are needles in the proverbial haystacks.

So, in the end, you just have to guess or simply frame your subject differently...Good luck on PANS!!!! Every pan will be a smiley face motion for your viewers...

greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:33 pm

Alright, so I was at the local store here where they sell everything that has something to do with model building (planes, cars, boats, etc) and I bought a battery pack like this one:

http://www.nosram.com/products.asp?id=35

I bought the 1600 mAh pack (i figured that would be enough) for 12 euros.

I was really amazed that they were selling a battery pack of exactly 7.2V!!

Anyways, I explained the guy at the store what I was planning to do with the battery. I told him that I would need to tap off some current at 3.6V. He told me this wasn't possible with this pack, because the batteries wouldn't 'de-charge' at the same speed and that that would 'kill' them if I would charge them again..

Is this true? I'm not an electrical expert at all so I really don't know.. I mean, the amount of power that the lightmeter uses is neglectible to the amount of power that the motor uses right?

super8man

Post by super8man » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:28 pm

Generally speaking, if you are going to all the trouble to actually USE a Beaulieu (not exactly a run-n-gun camera) I would suggest you use an external light meter...for what it is worth, the original power pack was comprised of small flat disc cells that DID give you a power tap for 3.6 and 7.2...

greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:30 am

errr.. of course I know that the original battery was made of 6 cells with a tap for 3.6 and 7.2.. That's why I wanna do the same thing for my new battery..

I'm just asking if there's gonna be any trouble with the cells I bought when you try to recharge them. According to the guy at the store they wouldn't work with a power tap in de middle, because that would leave you with 3 of the cells less charged than the other 3, and that would f*ck them up when you try to recharge them..

My theory is that since the lightmeter doesn't use much current (guess) it wouldn't matter so much..

I think many people would argue that the Beaulieu is not a run-n-gun camera. My opinion is that if you have a good serviced model it's as good for run-n-gun as any other camera.. But anyways, that's not what this topic's about..

EDIT:
I just realized it might not be clear from the image I attached in my previous post that the battery I bought actually consists of six 1.2V cells.. Basically the same as the original Beaulieu battery..

aj

Post by aj » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:28 pm

These batterypacks are excellent to use. NiCd cells always make for 1.2 volts. 6 of these (small or large) inline make 7.2.

You need to fix a center tap (yellow) at the bottom of the pack. Possibly you can feed it from there inside to the top and have jump out there near the black and red...

The centre tap is actually ground for the EE system. The reglomatic can then use 3.6 and -3.6 for driving the motor either in open or close direction.
Kind regards,

André

super8man

Post by super8man » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:30 am

How about simply using some zener diodes to drop the voltage from the main tap - so then it draws from all batteries...would be very simple to do...check with a multimeter under load to figure out the available voltage...

BigWorm

Post by BigWorm » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:55 am

Anyone interested in having their old 4008 series battery packs re-celled? I’ve been working with a machinist (my father) over the past 2 months and he has just completed work on a computer controlled battery tab welder. He’s successfully re-celled (correctly) all three of my standard battery packs with new 450mAh batteries. The new batteries fit in the old original battery can. The battery tab spot welder is driven by a computer controlled power supply and stepper motor for consistent welds. He has also machined some hardened steal tongs to remove the caps from the batteries. He’s retired and I had asked him to solder some batteries together for me to power my ZMII and he went full out and hand made all of the electronics and weld head components. My batteries are done now and he has expressed interest in re-celling some more batteries if folks are interested.
Anyone have some original batteries laying around they want re-celled? If you do, drop me a line and we can work something out. 6 x 450mAh batteries are about $25 USD + shipping and whatever we agree that a re-cell is worth.
Tom Houston
Virginia
WorkPrinter-XP to HD Conversion & Beaulieu Battery Re-Celling:
http://www.FilmMaker8.com

greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:39 pm

I'm planning on making this:

I'm gonna make it from a solid 80mm diameter shaft of aluminum. The cells will be the ones that I posted earlier. I will use the shell of an original battery to go over the part of the battery pack with the small diameter. This way I'll be able to screw the new battery into the camera.

I'll post pics soon..

Ace

Post by Ace » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:16 am

Hey Greg,

Looks awesome! Let us know your progress, I am extremely interested in this; what is the maximum capacity of the fuel cells that you will be able to fit in there? (the 1600, 1800 or the 2200mAh?, they all look the same size, but unsure how much power is compatible with the camera).

DonFito

Post by DonFito » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:17 am

Neat. It'd be cool to see pics of the work in progress.

By the way, I've sent my batteries to BigWorm for re-celling. It's fantastic to have such an active 4008 community.
Cheers,

Rafael Rivera
www.donfito.com

greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:56 am

Yeah the nosram cells go up to 2200 mAh in total. Are BigWorm's cells 450 mAh in total or 450x6=2700 mAh? Cause otherwise he's got me beat!

I started this project before BigWorm announced he was able to recell batteries. But anyways I'm just making a metal housing that fits quite large battery cells, so If I ever stumble upon larger cells I will always be able to replace them..

How many carts can you shoot with 1600 mAh?

The housing is finished actually (almost).. It took a couple of hours before it came out of the metalworking lathe, but it looks really nice! I also made the threaded holes in the case. Only thing that needs to be done is make a hole in the center of the cap, so I can install a connector plug (to connect the battery to the charger). And also I need to drill out the 6 holes in the cap so it can be screwed on to the housing itself..

But it looks nice to have a solid aluminum block hangin off a Beaulieu 4008 :D

I'll make digital pictures this afternoon..

greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Here are some pictures of the (almost finished) housing..

I apologize for the quality of the pictures, they were taken with a mobile phone..

Here's the housing with te cap placed on top of it. It still needs the center hole for the connector plug and the six side holes that will allow screws to hold it in place.

The bottom part of the housing with the original battery shell placed on top of it. This will allow the new housing to be screwed on to the camera just like the original batteries.

Cells placed inside the housing..

Inside of the housing without the cells..