K-40 prepaid processing in U.S. no longer to Switz.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

shralp

K-40 prepaid processing in U.S. no longer to Switz.

Post by shralp » Sat May 03, 2003 8:20 pm

Just thought the U.S. folks would want to know. Rumor has it that prepaid K-40 from Kodak is no longer shipped to Switzerland. I spoke with a representative at Qualex, (Kodaks partner at the Fairlawn NJ address) and she has confirmed this. All prepaid K-40 shipped to this location now goes to Dwaynes in Kansas for development. I guess they decided it was a waste of time to go over the pond when they could sub out the work here in the states. So obviously this begs the question, why pay $10.83 per roll for K-40 from Kodak and then $9.00 per roll to Dwaynes for processing when you can just pay $13.54 per roll for prepaid from Kodak and it all goes to the same place. Saving about $6.00 a roll seems pretty good!

Lucas Lightfeat

Post by Lucas Lightfeat » Sat May 03, 2003 9:28 pm

I think there's a good way of varifying this rumour. I was told on this forum some time ago that dwaynes staple together the various films they receive for processing, whereas Switzerland use sticky brown tape, the ends of which we tend to receive with a frame or two of someone elses film. So, judge for yourselves who is processing it when you receive it back from Kodak. Quad Erat Demunstrandum innit? :)

Lucas

vidwerk

Post by vidwerk » Sat May 03, 2003 11:07 pm

1 year ago, I was told by a Qualex representative that shipments from Canada get sent to Rochester NY for processing. I believe it because it took less than 2 weeks to get my film back. However, just recently I started receiving my processed K40 on white reels in white boxes and not the traditional black reels with a black ring.
Simon.

supa8

Post by supa8 » Sat May 03, 2003 11:24 pm

i know it's very strange
i live in france and got back a couple of films in different enveloppes lately (on different days). i definitely have to check where they were sent from.

Billbot

Post by Billbot » Sun May 04, 2003 4:32 am

I posed about this a while back; yes, Dwaynes is processing all the prepaid mailers sent to NJ. I called Dwaynes, and they confirmed this, after I askes a few times.

I miss the extra frames of film from other reels that you got from the Swiss lab. :cry:

But I got my film in about 2 weeks last time, that's cool!
.B.I.L.L.B.O.T.

BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX » Sun May 04, 2003 9:35 pm

It's interesting that the 5 cartridges of K40 I had done at Dwayne's last summer all seemed to have the entire 50 feet of film processed and returned (including the 1.5 overexposed inches that were in the cartridge aperture when I unwrapped the film to put it in the camera), but none of the recent ones I got back from "Kodak" in New Jersey were like this.

Question is does Dwaynes always process the entire roll like this and the fact that these recent ones were not done in the same way indicate that Dwayne's is not really doing Kodak's processing, or were the five rolls I got back like this actually an exception to Dwayne's normal routine?

I can't be sure because I only used Dwayne's once before I started buying K-40 with mailers.

Any Insights?

BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX » Sun May 04, 2003 9:42 pm

Also.......

The 5 last summer from Dwaynes were spliced to this really thick red leader which neither of my projectors liked very much, but the recent Kodak stuff was with the regular old white leader.

Maybe they just ran out? Maybe they got complaints?

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Sun May 04, 2003 9:51 pm

Dwayn'es was using white boxes and reels, with the red leader..I too had to cut out the red leader, as my projector was having trouble threading it. How does the processed film look? No gunk or scratches?

Post by Guest » Sun May 04, 2003 10:27 pm

The 5 Dwayne's rolls I got last summer were slightly water spotted and a little rainy in places. However, I think this was at about the same time their on site chemist was gone for a couple of weeks, and there were a lot of similar complaints on the various discussion groups.

The recent Kodak ones look fine.

Hmm...

White boxes, white reels, white leader........

What an opportunity to start a rumor that Yale has secretly started to process K-40!

Anybody sent in anything racy to kodak and had it mysteriously "get lost in the mail"?

tfunch24--lazy

Post by tfunch24--lazy » Mon May 05, 2003 1:55 am

If Dwayne's is one of the only two labs on the planet that processes K40, how could Yale have processed the film? If Yale offers K40 processing, they would have to outlab it to either Dwayne's or Switzerland.

I had some water spots in one roll that Dwayne's processed last summer--around the time of the chemist's vacation. I never had a problem with the red leader they sometimes use in any of my projectors--CineMate, Canon PS-1000, or Chinon.

Tom

BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX » Mon May 05, 2003 2:06 am

NO!!! Just Kidding!!!

Thought i'd have a little fun based on the Yale post-athon we had this week.

Also trying to do a little detective work. Are the current "Kodak" results consistent with the stuff currently arriving direct from Dwayne's? Same reels, boxes and leader? Same style of cutting/not cutting off the excess at the ends?

Based on recent quality (good) I don't really care if it is Kansas or Switzerland (or wherever)

tfunch24

Post by tfunch24 » Mon May 05, 2003 2:19 am

The last roll I sent to Dwayne's was a roll of Kodachrome 25 D8 film. It came back fine--not water spots, scratches, etc.

Tom

Lucas Lightfeat

Post by Lucas Lightfeat » Mon May 05, 2003 2:35 am

Well I can tell you, quite reliably, that if it isn't in a round black holder, on a black reel, with white leader, with a small inch long piece of (often somebody elses) film holding the lid on the reel, showing occasional evidence of having been joined up to the next film with a small strip of brown tape with a code on it, it ain't processed in Switzerland. This is how they've been doing it for years now.

Lucas

BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX » Mon May 05, 2003 3:26 am

OK,
Let's assume that the film being processed in Europe is still going to the same place, has anybody over there noticed a change in packaging recently like we have in North America?

Actually if it is going to Dwayne's that's kind of cool. I was concerned with them going out of the K-40 business once Kodak offered the film with mailers in North America. (I guess it's only cool if they keep the quality up though.)

(I liked the Black Integral packaging better, the little white boxes are cumbersome and probably not as durable)

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Mon May 05, 2003 5:23 am

I think the quality has improved at Dwayne's since last summer...a guy in another filmmaking forum had contacted them via email about the problems, and they were very nice and concerned to solve the problem...the chemist was on maternity leave, but she's back now...just my luck, Dwayne's is in Kansas...right next to my state, Nebraska! Think i'll send them a roll soon, I want to give them some business too, so they keep processing Kodachrome!