Testing a nautica

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

eggart

Testing a nautica

Post by eggart » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:30 am

I recently bought a Nautica off German ebay, but all the manuals are in german (of course). After looking about, I can't find an english one online. But I'm wondering what I should look at, or examine before I try submerging it in water for the first time.

Is there any way to test it to make sure all the seals are in place and functioning? The camera came with some spare rubber gaskets and grease, and I can't help but think that one of them isn't a spare...

Rollef

Post by Rollef » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:29 am

There is supposed to be an o-ring on the door.

Remove the o-ring on the door. Aply new grease between your indexfinger and thumb. be sure to feel for small grains of sand and stuff like that. reattach the o-ring.

When you close the door push firmly down, then slide the slide thingy foreward. Test in a bucket of fresh water.

eggart

Post by eggart » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:52 pm

Thanks Rollef! I'll go try it in the tub. I guess there's no point in keeping it anyway if it won't work underwater!

--- It works! Thanks

liam dale

Post by liam dale » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:19 am

would it be possible to replace the o-ring it is was damaged? Is it a standard size?

super8man

Post by super8man » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:09 am

I believe it is considered to be a METRIC o-ring size... So you may have to talk to someone who is well versed in GASKETS (phone book, etc) to see what they have to say...just load up on lots of vaseline on the gasket when you put it on the notched camera door - perhaps run a bead in the door as well prior to putting on the o-ring/gasket. Then, close the door, flatten the latch and push forward - at the very least you can use the camera for snow or splash conditions with NO worries...don't bother dunking it unless you really plan to go under water...then you can take it upwards of 30-40 meters or 140 feet I think. Don't trust me on these depths though...I have only taken mine to about 20-30 feet before my ears hurt a bit too much.

fun times!!

Cheers,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/

leadlike

Post by leadlike » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:30 am

Watch out with using vaseline-some gasket types can be ruined with that stuff. I used to use vaseline on a filter tank gasket for a hydrotherapy unit. Every week, when I changed the filter; I noticed that the gasket didn't seem to line up quite right. After about six months, I thought I was going crazy-the gasket seemed to be getting bigger! And indeed it was-the vaseline made it expand from something like 18''d to 22''d, rendering it completely useless. I hung it up in the shop to see if it would 'dry out' and revert to its original form, but it only snapped back about an inch. Anyway, the lesson learned was to use silicone-based stuff-you can pick that (and probably your gasket) up at any dive shop.

leadlike

Post by leadlike » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:34 am

dp

super8man

Post by super8man » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:47 am

THanks for that correction...excellent point.

Cheers,
Mike

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Also be careful not to apply too much o-ring grease. Apparently, too much can cause flooding. Rub it between your fingers before applying it to the o-ring.

eggart

Post by eggart » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:06 pm

Patrick wrote:Also be careful not to apply too much o-ring grease. Apparently, too much can cause flooding. Rub it between your fingers before applying it to the o-ring.
Yikes. That's good to know.

Just to continue here because I don't want to start another thread, my PMA is scratched up a bit, nothing to worry about underwater, but is there a suitable replacement I can use for above water shooting? I don't notice anything through the viewfinder unless it's pointed at a light, but it would be nice to find something else that won't scratch as easily.

Rollef

Post by Rollef » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:50 pm

I had a banged up screen to attach to the front of one of the eumig series projectors. the kind with a little mirror inside and a little plastic screen. the box was black and probably for the 93* projectors.
Anyway, on the side close to the projectors lens there is a small lens on this screen box thingy. That lens is very much like the PMA glass, withouth the threading ofcourse.
Maybe a DIY job?...

onsuper8

Post by onsuper8 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:06 pm

You need a silicone based grease - I know this as I have a leaking car which has to have it applied to its door seals to stop the rain getting in! Vaseline rots rubber over time (supposedly) because it's petroleum based.

super8man

Post by super8man » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:59 pm

I suspect that most nauticas get used for 5 rolls of film or so over the short term...so, simple cleaning is always advised...also, NEVER store the gasket ON the camera...remove it from the door and keep it separate.

You should have more than enough advise now! haha

Dan Salzmann

Post by Dan Salzmann » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:00 pm

You can use Nikon grease for Nikonos cameras. One tube lasts a long time.
Director of Photography
Paris,France