urgent!! DVD studio pro 2 help

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

npcoombs

urgent!! DVD studio pro 2 help

Post by npcoombs » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:14 pm

hi all - I have an urgent problem with DVD studio Pro 2.

The encoding of a 50 minute film, plus small menu system, managed 10% progress in 24 hours, which is ridiculous on my G5.

Now before you all treat me like a Microsoft help guide, let me make clear I am not a complete idiot at this game. For my first attempt I set my encoding as Single Pass (non VBR). But even if it was dual pass VBR, like I have used in the past, it shouldn't be taking anywhere near as long as this is!

Any ideas?

npcoombs

Post by npcoombs » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:29 pm

I should also add that my FCP movie files generated from my sequences within FCP have spawned 5 "av" files in addition to the main files, all of equal file size and all neccessary to play the main file.

Why does this have to be so fucking complicated. I never had any of these issues before.

mattias

Re: urgent!! DVD studio pro 2 help

Post by mattias » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:03 pm

npcoombs wrote:The encoding of a 50 minute film, plus small menu system, managed 10% progress in 24 hours, which is ridiculous on my G5.
i don't know. i always encode to mpeg-2 using compressor before importing to dvdsp. i do this directly from the fcp timeline because it saves a generation since it sends uncompressed 4:2:2 data rendered on the fly to compressor. this is even slower though, so my best suggestion for speed would be to export a self contained quicktime from fcp and try that. reference files often take longer to encode for some reason, plus they can cause other diffuse problems. i'm not sure what you mean by av files though. how are you exporting?

/matt

npcoombs

Post by npcoombs » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:31 pm

mattias wrote:
npcoombs wrote:The encoding of a 50 minute film, plus small menu system, managed 10% progress in 24 hours, which is ridiculous on my G5.
i don't know. i always encode to mpeg-2 using compressor before importing to dvdsp. i do this directly from the fcp timeline because it saves a generation since it sends uncompressed 4:2:2 data rendered on the fly to compressor. this is even slower though, so my best suggestion for speed would be to export a self contained quicktime from fcp and try that. reference files often take longer to encode for some reason, plus they can cause other diffuse problems. i'm not sure what you mean by av files though. how are you exporting?

/matt
Hi Matt -

I exported my sequences as Self Contained Final Cut Pro movies, which spawned multiple tag-along av files needed to play the real movie.

e.g. I did an export on a file called Super8CitiesMain10

and I also got
Super8CitiesMain10-av1
Super8CitiesMain10-av2
Super8CitiesMain10-av3
Super8CitiesMain10-av4

also needed to play the main file!

I imported my main file as an asset into DVSP and set the DVD to build, but it took so long (10% progress in 24 hours) that I gave up and cancelled it. That was on a one-pass non-VBR.

How do I encode them straight from FCP?

I am doing a Quicktime MPEG2 export now, which although slow is making some progress. Is that the same thing as using Compressor?

If I load the m2v file into DVSP will the program know it doesn't need to bother encoding those assets already in MPEG-2 format?

mattias

Post by mattias » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:20 pm

npcoombs wrote:I exported my sequences as Self Contained Final Cut Pro movies, which spawned multiple tag-along av files needed to play the real movie.
sounds like the software is splitting the file into 2gb chunks. are you exporting to a fat filesystem by any chance? are you using the "current settings" preset?
How do I encode them straight from FCP?
"file->export->using compressor". it might not be available in fcp 3 though. do you have compressor installed?
I am doing a Quicktime MPEG2 export now, which although slow is making some progress. Is that the same thing as using Compressor?
the encoder is the same, but compressor has many more features and settings. how slow is this? when i encode features on my 800mhz g4 it takes about overnight. 50 minutes should only take an hour or so on a g5.
If I load the m2v file into DVSP will the program know it doesn't need to bother encoding those assets already in MPEG-2 format?
yes.

/matt

npcoombs

Post by npcoombs » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:50 pm

mattias wrote: sounds like the software is splitting the file into 2gb chunks. are you exporting to a fat filesystem by any chance? are you using the "current settings" preset?

"file->export->using compressor". it might not be available in fcp 3 though. do you have compressor installed?

the encoder is the same, but compressor has many more features and settings. how slow is this? when i encode features on my 800mhz g4 it takes about overnight. 50 minutes should only take an hour or so on a g5.
Thanks for this Matt. Yeah, the file is split into 2gb chunks and maybe this is having the effect of throwing DVSP off.

I don't have compressor installed. My MPEG2 export (Im doing a one-pass VBR) looks like its going to take 2 hours for a 54 min file.

I'll see how DVSP handles the build when my two tracks are loaded as m2v files.

Many thanks for the help.

mattias

Post by mattias » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:10 am

don't forget to export the audio separately. it's not in the m2v file. later versions of the mpeg-2 export component have a checkbox to do that at the same time. otherwise you'll have to do it separately, as a 16 bit 48khz aif.

as for the splitting, are you in fact exporting to a fat hd or other system with this limitation, or is just fcp 3 being too clever for its own good? i'm just curious.

/matt

christoph

Post by christoph » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:16 am

npcoombs wrote:I don't have compressor installed. My MPEG2 export (Im doing a one-pass VBR) looks like its going to take 2 hours for a 54 min file.
fcp 3 had an option "export as mpeg2" somewhere and many people prefered it to compressor because it's more straightforward.

for 60 mins you can go close to the max bitrate (around 8mbit/sec) although personally i play i save and never use more than 7.5mbit/sec. vbr only is an advantage if you have more than 1hour of total footage and thus have to lower quality in under the 6mbit/sec range.

dvd sp will handle the .m2v files just fine.

++ christoph ++

Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:23 am

as for the splitting, are you in fact exporting to a fat hd or other system with this limitation, or is just fcp 3 being too clever for its own good? i'm just curious.
I'm curious about this as well, but for a different reason - one time when I came against a 2GB limitation was when I was reverse telecining footage in Cinema Tools. Some of the files on the drive were over 13 GB, and Cinema Tools didn't handle them at all unless they were 2 GB or less. I couldn't find any documentation about that issue at the time.

mattias

Post by mattias » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:09 am

christoph wrote:vbr only is an advantage if you have more than 1hour of total footage and thus have to lower quality in under the 6mbit/sec range.
although i've found that using vbr and setting average and peak to pretty much the same improves quality a bit with apples codec compared to cbr, and it still gives you a cbr file. guess the slightly larger buffer makes it more forgiving when the complexity changes.

/matt

mattias

Post by mattias » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:12 am

Evan Kubota wrote:I'm curious about this as well, but for a different reason - one time when I came against a 2GB limitation was when I was reverse telecining footage in Cinema Tools. Some of the files on the drive were over 13 GB, and Cinema Tools didn't handle them at all unless they were 2 GB or less. I couldn't find any documentation about that issue at the time.
oh, the fact that some filesystems and some programs can't handle files over 2gb is very well known and documented. my curiosity is whether fcp tries to overcome this automatically, which would be clever but still not, or if there's something fishy going on.

/matt

npcoombs

Post by npcoombs » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:52 pm

seems my method of exporting mpeg2 straight form FCP is working, but wont know for sure until tonight. Encoding quality is certainly better than a native DVSP encode - much better!

Will let you know about the HD to clear that up.