Super8 experimental doco makes waves on festival circuit

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

dagman

detailed interview online

Post by dagman » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:30 pm

I was interviewed about the film the other day, including detail on production processes.. here's the link: http://onsuper8.blogspot.com/2007/01/sh ... tions.html

It appears at onsuper8.org... one of the best small format sites on the 'net. check it out if you haven't already! :D

Oh, and thanks to Chris at Super8 Today mag... thanks to him, I've found and fixed the error with the NTSC 'Buy it now' button on the website... so it's now easy for North American, Japanese and Koreans to get their copies of the film (provided they can all read English)

steve hyde

Post by steve hyde » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:18 am

Congrats! This project sounds fascinating. I'll gladly buy a copy..

Steve

dagman

Post by dagman » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:50 pm

Thanks Steve, your copy went out with the last batch yesterday. Much appreciation goes out to all the forum posters & readers who've bought the film since I posted it here last week... I hope you pop up again with your thoughts once you've seen the film! Would be nice to get some testimonials for our website & press kit from the real afficionados. :D

dagman

Post by dagman » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:41 pm

I have just received news that A Shift in Perception will screen in the out-of-competition section at this year's Dresdner Schmalfilmtage. From all accounts, the event is a wonderful celebration of small format filmmaking and we're rapt to be a part of it.

The event runs from January 25-27 in Dresden, Germany. Here's the website: http://www.schmalfilmtage.de/fest2007/E ... val_en.php

dagman

First Prize Winner

Post by dagman » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:27 pm

I'm sorry for bumping this thread once again, but I thought you might like to know that ASIP has won a First Prize at Black Maria Film & Video Festival in the USA. After premiering in Jersey City, New Jersey on Feb 2nd, the film will join a touring program which tailors screenings to suit over 70 venues across the USA this year. 8O

Check out their website for news as the tour unfolds... it's a must see for lovers of innovative, experimental and avante garde cinema. http://www.blackmariafilmfestival.org/ :twisted:

steve hyde

Post by steve hyde » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:22 pm

...I got my copy yesterday and watched it. I really admire what you have done. This is a first rate super 8 documentary film. Congratulations. The accolades this film has earned are well deserved. The DVD package is nicely assembled too.

Recommend it

I am looking forward to seeing your next films.

Steve

dagman

Thanks Steve... and now screening in Utah!

Post by dagman » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:15 pm

steve hyde wrote:...I got my copy yesterday and watched it. I really admire what you have done. This is a first rate super 8 documentary film. Congratulations. The accolades this film has earned are well deserved. The DVD package is nicely assembled too.
Thanks for the glowing feedback, Steve. That's great to hear. I'll have to check out your work on the Super8 Cities DVD soon.
steve hyde wrote:I am looking forward to seeing your next films.
And I look forward to making them! I'm commencing two new films in February after a long hiatus. Can't wait.

Btw, for those of you in or near Utah, you can see 'A Shift in Perception' at the Park City Film Music Festival, where it's been selected on the strength of its use of music. Here's the link to the festival (it's on now), where a schedule can be downloaded. I believe all sessions of short films are free to attend: http://www.parkcityfilmmusicfestival.org/

mathis

Post by mathis » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:38 pm

Hi Dan,

today I watched your beautiful movie, very nicely done. The little animations work very well. The music was a little too meditative over the long run, though. I also think you could have done more on the sonic side, all these mentionings of the musical pieces could have been nicely used. (But I also understand why you didn't use them.) You know, I'm primarily a musician... so that's where this comment is coming from.

But yes, I can also recommend it.
It is very nice to hear that this movie makes it so well on the festivals. They seem to be tired of the slick videos, don't they...

If you like to recieve a copy of what I have done, give me a note. (http://www.mathis-nitschke.com/pageID_2814658.html)

All the best,
- Mathis

paul

Post by paul » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:13 pm

I wired some money to my pay pal account and will order a PAl version as soon as the money is there. I am curious. How long does the DVD travel to the Netherlands?

Paul

dagman

Post by dagman » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:50 am

Hi Mathis... thanks for your feedback. We both know about music licensing costs, so that partly explains the musical space... plus i wanted to create and maintain the feeling of dreaming with music for the audience. As far as key sounds went, i was really pushed for time in the post production phase, and wanted to drop in another couple. it was a matter of time really... but who knows... maybe a director's cut sometime? It needs a Harley sound, and i wanted to hand colour another B&W shot too...

Paul: Australia post tells me 7-10 working days from Australia to Europe. I've processed your order, and fixed the problem with the PAL 'buy it now' button. Thanks for pointing that out.

dagman

Awarded at Park City for its soundtrack

Post by dagman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:57 pm

More good news... I found out yesterday that the film was awarded a 'Gold Medal for Excellence' at Park City Film Music Festival in Utah... on the merits of its soundtrack. Congrats and thanks to Alex Carpenter, the film's composer. You can listen to some more of his experimental music here: http://users.chariot.net.au/~vanished/vanished/
Last edited by dagman on Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

dgs8film

Post by dgs8film » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:15 pm

Just sent an order via paypal. Looking forward to watching your film!

steve hyde

Post by steve hyde » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:57 pm

paul wrote:I wired some money to my pay pal account and will order a PAl version as soon as the money is there. I am curious. How long does the DVD travel to the Netherlands?

Paul

...took only 7 days to get my copy in the USA.

Steve

dagman

ASIP at US Super8 & DV Fest...

Post by dagman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:38 am

More good news for ASIP... we received an Honourable Mention in the tightly contested United States Super8 & DV Festival in New Jersey last weekend. Anyone make it to the screenings? It was a three day event, with a post mortem available now at their website.

dagman

more screenings, distro & broadcast

Post by dagman » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:03 am

When I'm back now from Africa and the USA (I shot a little Super8 in Malawi) and I have heard from my partner that the good news rolls on for 'A Shift in Perception' which in my absence enjoyed selection for festivals in Iceland, Spain, Moldova, USA, Norway, Japan and back home here in Sydney, Australia. Whew! If you can't make any of the events on my website, you can still buy the DVD of course. We're talking distro deals here in Australia next, and also have a cable/sat broadcaster who's interested in a non-exclusive licence. Go Super8! :D