speed ramp tip for those wanting to do it

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jusetan

speed ramp tip for those wanting to do it

Post by jusetan » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:30 pm

Hey,

I just screened my new short TROYMOTION, we shot it all with a beaulieu 4008ZMII for the high speed 70fps.

We shot Plus-X and had it cross processed as a neg giving us more information/latitude in the film.

Many of the stunts in the film were speed ramped in camera, without adjusting the iris. The image does darken as you lose 1 stop of light from 24fps>48fps. (24x2= 48, when you double the speed you lose 1 stop). It was not practical to 'ride' the iris because it was all handheld, and I only had one hand free to control the FPS. The camera asst would not have been able to hold the lens while I ramped as I was running around while doing the ramping- a little too frenetic to have too people holding the camera.

So, if processing as neg:

1. over expose by 1 to 2 stops (max).
2. ramp from 24-70fps (or your speeds of choice)
3. transfer it to digital- preserving information in the blacks and the highlights- don't let the colorist crunch your blacks- you need that info). Ideally xfer to 10bit or 8bit uncompressed. Not necessary, but will yield more infomation.
4. Bring the footage into your software (After effects ideally)
5. Set keyframes to adjust your gamma (midtones) from the point the ramp begins, to where it ends. So you are boosting your midtones at the same speed as did the ramp in camera.

And voila, the image darkening from the ramp should be VERY subtle.

NOTE- this won't work as well on reversal film because it is much more contrasy and less forgiving on over/under exposure.
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16/35mm - 2k.5k.HDR.film transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com

mattias

Post by mattias » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:18 pm

great advice. any reason you didn't shoot it all high speed and ramp in post? (ecenomy i guess)

/matt

Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:32 pm

Does the Beaulieu have a continuously variable speed? Many of the Nizo models have a button you can push for 'instant' 54 fps but I don't think it's a smooth ramp.

jusetan

Post by jusetan » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:27 pm

The nizo's speed ramp is pretty good too. I've used it with the automatic iris engaged and it does a pretty good job (though the iris does 'lag' behind slightly).

The canon's 1014xls's speed ramp is a little smoother (for iris adjustments), but it only goes to 36fps, so thats probably why.

MATTIAS:
I want you to look at the film, I've got it hidden on my FTP, I just gotta dig up your email to send you the link.
There were only certain sections that I wanted to have ramped and I was doing long takes on some of the stunts, so partially yes, economy...

...Plus I love the organic feel of doing it all in camera... ;)
justin lovell
cinematographer

T-Scan

Post by T-Scan » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:44 pm

I can see doing a speed ramp on the Beaulieu, If it has a continious speed dial like the R16 (2-64fps) But on a model that switches frame rates? Your idea would work well with neg films. Otherwise your mounted with someone running the motor, while you carefully manipulate the iris and frame rate. I have velocity envelopes in my NLE, but it's not nearly as smooth as in camera.
100D and Vision 3 please

vidwerk

Post by vidwerk » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:07 am

jusetan wrote: We shot Plus-X and had it cross processed as a neg giving us more information/latitude in the film.
Did you have NCL process it as neg?

vidwerk.

jusetan

Post by jusetan » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:07 am

yes, niagara custom lab did all the processing. I had to shoot one roll of 200t (ran out of plus-x), desaturated it to b/w, and it looked real nice.

still kinda speckeled from the processing, but it cuts in nicely with the plusx.
justin lovell
cinematographer

eggart

Post by eggart » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:35 am

Did the look vary much with processing the Plus-X as negative?

jusetan

Post by jusetan » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:15 am

heck yeah!

Reversal processed as a negative yeilds far more latitude in the image.
If you can find a lab who can do it, do it!

Great for if you're planning on having the footage telecined. It is easy enough to crush the image and make it look like reversal if thats what you want.
justin lovell
cinematographer