Home made film cleaning board

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Royalbox

Home made film cleaning board

Post by Royalbox » Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:55 pm

I bought an old 8mm viewer via eBay which arrived today. I removed the arms which have a flat base and fixed them to each end of a 4' board. I screwed 4 door-stops on the base as feet. I now have a nice film cleaning board.

Has anybody come up with a simple DIY system that will hold the film between a cleaning cloth with enough pressure and a way of keeping it moist with cleaner? I'd love to hear about it if you have.

MovieMaker

Film cleaner

Post by MovieMaker » Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:27 pm

Hi Royalbox,
I´m currently developing a film cleaning device that can be attached to every projector to avoid the annoying dust and hair "screenings" during the projection. It´ll be manufactured by a company here in Austria and should be available this year.

As to your question about film cleaning (with fluids), wasn´t there some years ago a small piece of equipment from a Super-8 supplier?

Will keep you all informed...

Christian

Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:49 pm

Think I found something useful here http://www.super8mm.org/tools.html a while back.

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations

Royalbox

Post by Royalbox » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:24 am

Thanks for the replies. There's some interesting articles to download on that site Andreas, couldn't quite find what I was after though. There was an editing bench, is that what you were refering to? I just read an article on film cleaning by Larry Urbanski at http://members.tripod.com/~Moviecraft/filmclean.html which said this:
There are film applicator units that can be mounted between your rewinds to make the film cleaning process neater. Film cleaner is put in a bottle with an adjustable flow rate that wets cloths in a spring-loaded jaw. The film is pulled through the wet cloths by your rewinds, cleaning the film. The Ecco Model D Applicator can be used with any brand film cleaner.
This sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Has anyone seen one, got one, know where to get one or even have a picture of one?

EDIT

Just seen the price -- $205 8O. Still, I'd like to see a picture of one so I could get an idea of how to make something that might work. Or anyting else you may know of.

jpsens

filmcleaner

Post by jpsens » Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:26 am

i found this picture on the internet some while ago when i was looking for a similar device. They are sold by http://www.chamblesscineequip.com

jpsens

Post by jpsens » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:07 pm

Royalbox

Post by Royalbox » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:50 pm

Thanks jpsens. That's quite a complicated looking device, now I see why it's over $200.