What are the chances of the film fogging?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Arislan

What are the chances of the film fogging?

Post by Arislan » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:32 pm

Has anyone sent film to another continent for processing? Does it get X-Rayed into oblivion?

I want/need to buy some rawstock from america and then send it to Japan for processing. What are the chances this will be bad for the film?
"Here we all are, all our nationalities chatting and joking on a forum- two or three generations ago we were blowing each other up! "

John_Pytlak

Re: What are the chances of the film fogging?

Post by John_Pytlak » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:44 pm

Arislan wrote:Has anyone sent film to another continent for processing? Does it get X-Rayed into oblivion?

I want/need to buy some rawstock from america and then send it to Japan for processing. What are the chances this will be bad for the film?
You can usually arrange with the air freight shippers (e.g., FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.) to not have the shipment x-rayed. They each have their own rules as far as filling out the manifest and labeling the package to avoid x-rays, and of allowing other methods of security inspection.

US Mail is usually not subjected to strong x-rays, except for mail going to government facilities. But more and more air cargo (including mail) is getting inspected, especially if it ends up in the belly of a passenger airplane.
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA

richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:16 am

The lower the asa the less of an issue. I have had John Schwind send me a lot of stock from California to Australia with no problems and just using Unites States Postal Service.

Arislan

Post by Arislan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:27 am

As a test, I sent out 5 carts to be processed today. 4 to Film & Video Services in Minneapolis, 1 to Dwayne's. For those of you tuning in now, I'm currently in Brazil. I'm going back to the States in 8 weeks or so but I didn't want to take the film in the luggage or carry-on due to the whole inspection thing.

So in about 8 weeks I will have some answer...

In Brazil, super 8 carts are sold with processing included, however they ONLY sell one stock: Vision 200T. This is all that gets stocked in this country, and it costs $70 US dollars per cart. No labs here process reversal at all.
"Here we all are, all our nationalities chatting and joking on a forum- two or three generations ago we were blowing each other up! "

Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Re: What are the chances of the film fogging?

Post by Andreas Wideroe » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:17 am

John_Pytlak wrote:You can usually arrange with the air freight shippers (e.g., FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.) to not have the shipment x-rayed. They each have their own rules as far as filling out the manifest and labeling the package to avoid x-rays, and of allowing other methods of security inspection.
I spoke with FedEx in Norway about this only two days ago and they said that all mail/packages went through X-ray machines and there were no arrangements they had for not doing this. The adviced me to put on a sticker saying "DO NOT X-RAY", but it would most likely not help.

Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations

Arislan

Post by Arislan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:33 am

Andreas, I wonder if they would open the packages if we lined them with lead liner.

John_Pytlak

Post by John_Pytlak » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:04 pm

Using lead shielding around the film will either cause the inspector to do a hand inspection, or more likely, do multiple passes through the x-ray machine to try to identify the unknown object. Lead shielding cannot be counted on to protect the film from fogging.
John Pytlak
Eastman Kodak Company

Arislan

Post by Arislan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:15 pm

Then is there a solution at all for this problem? Kodak here only sells one type of super8 stock (200T), and it is just as expensive as 16mm. I might give up on super8 for my feature then, which is really sad.
My only option is to buy film from the US, but if it all gets fogged then it's a major waste.

Arislan

Post by Arislan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:17 pm

I suppose I could go with Fuji Single-8 R25N. The low ASA might prevent damage from casual x-raying.

John_Pytlak

Post by John_Pytlak » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:10 pm

Normally, your local Kodak motion picture sales office can order film be shipped to their local distribution center is there is a large enough order:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about ... .4.5&lc=en
John Pytlak
Eastman Kodak Company

Arislan

Post by Arislan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:59 pm

John_Pytlak wrote:Normally, your local Kodak motion picture sales office can order film be shipped to their local distribution center is there is a large enough order:
It seems the minimum is $10,000. I don't think I could use that many carts before they expired. Also I forgot to ask them about availability of E6 process chemicals.

tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:15 pm

Arislan wrote:Then is there a solution at all for this problem? Kodak here only sells one type of super8 stock (200T), and it is just as expensive as 16mm. I might give up on super8 for my feature then, which is really sad.
My only option is to buy film from the US, but if it all gets fogged then it's a major waste.
There are only two solutions for customs inspection: Either demand hand inspection (and risk mobbing and intimidation by the staff), or let it go through the x-ray machine with your hand luggage you'll take with you. These x-ray machines are less powerful than those used on checked luggage, and should be more or less alright on film.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!

romeojesus

Post by romeojesus » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:20 pm

once i took k40´s to new york city and back
the cartridges passed the x-ray things three times

looked good..

on the same trip i bought 2 cartridges of the old vision 200t in new york city. those went thru x-ray two times and turned out fine also...

christian
those

Angus

Post by Angus » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:40 pm

I've done lots of flying with film. I think my record would be 9 separate airports with the same films....including Ilford Delta 3200 in 35mm and some super 8 K40.

None showed significant effects of x-rays.

But mail organisations and couriers might be different. I once had 10 rolls of ekta 160 shipped from the USA via airmail and there seems something wrong with the three I've tried. But the effects don't look quite like x-ray fogging. I intend to try some more this summer.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)

Arislan

Post by Arislan » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:53 pm

I might take the risk regardless. I just ordered some film from single8film.com and we'll see how that goes...I'm also sending a roll of 16mm 7240 to film and video services in MN on monday.