reloadable kassema - how to get them to work

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

richard p. t.

reloadable kassema - how to get them to work

Post by richard p. t. » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:12 am

Hello all,
I have a bunch of reloadable Kassema and I can load them alright I think, but they invariably jam in some way during use. Its like they require more torque to move them than the claw and take up drive can supply. Is there a trick anyone knows for these things?

chachi

Post by chachi » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:32 am

are you threading it onto the take-up spool correctly? I use mine for dummy rolls at the moment, but have had no problems..

richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:09 am

Well on the take up side there would appear to be not too much to it. The film travels past the presure plate then slides through a slot below the plate into the inside of the take up side. Inside it travels against the inside wall the full lenth of one face of the square cartridge then turns back virtually on itself as it travels around a post. After the post it is now heading back in the presure plate direction such that it is taken up clockwise on the core (clockwise when looking at the unit at the unit flat on a table with the take up side vissible).
Can I ask what people do to affix the start of the film to the take up core? It might be that any messiness here causes friction which increases the drag and stops the take up from taking up.
When I purchased 4 of my Kassema from Olexandr he had inserted a match box sized piece of paper on the supply side that, if installed when film was loaded, would sit on the full supply roll, between the roll of film and the external supply side cover. Do people use such a piece of paper, or did Olexandr do this for postage reasons?
On the supply side I think I am correct in saying that the film also needs to double back on itself around a post - this one with a little roller on it. True?
Maybe there is too much presure in my preasure plate springs. This could pinch the film too tight and stop it from transporting. Currently there is more presure there if you press the plate than it takes to press a computer key. It is quite tight - like the pressure of a play button on an old cassette deck. Too much?
If anyone else has had issues with kassema I would be interested in hearing of any solutions you found.
Many thanks,
Richard

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:16 am

In the Kodak cart there is a thin plastic washer under the supply spool with slightly upturned edge- its free to rotate with the spool so reduces friction, but the most important part is the upturned edge- it stops the takeup spool unwinding outwards against the walls of the cart which would cause too much friction. If you don't have one of these you could get one from an old cart.

Mark

aj

Re: reloadable kassema - how to get them to work

Post by aj » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:40 am

richard p. t. wrote:Hello all,
I have a bunch of reloadable Kassema and I can load them alright I think, but they invariably jam in some way during use. Its like they require more torque to move them than the claw and take up drive can supply. Is there a trick anyone knows for these things?
What stock material are you using? Do you wind these yourself?

In the unused stock side of the Kaccema you need to use a core ring to keep the film from the hub. Otherwise the film may loop around it and pull it itself tight around it. Somewhat like a rope or whip around a pole. It was mentioned before on the forum and I posted some pictures then. The original russian refills have these cores and Kodak cartridges have these too.
Last edited by aj on Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,

André

sunrise

Post by sunrise » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:06 am

richard p. t. wrote:Can I ask what people do to affix the start of the film to the take up core?
Richard,

For the take up spool you cut the film like a wedge with a small 2 cm long strip at the end. You can insert this strip in the inner groove and make a loop around the little cross bar. You don't need the piece of paper for anything.

michael

richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:46 pm

thanks all,
I use the litle core rings that come on some stocks.
I have tried many stocks in the units - old k40, Foma ds8 I have split (which initially I thought might have been over or under dimensioned and caused a problem, and quarz chrome 50' stock intended for reloadables ...
I do tend to get the take up side winding only loosly ...
i have collected the odd clear kodak disc. Do you say they should go under the supply reel of film - ie not between the spool and the outer case? How could the upturned edge on a disc on the supply side help stop the take up side from unwinding?
Michael, do you cut a thin strip in the end of the film 2cm long, insert it under the little bridge in the groove of the take up spool, then fold the film back, such that the little strip is like a hook?
These kassema have so much potential ...

sunrise

Post by sunrise » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:51 pm

richard p. t. wrote:Michael, do you cut a thin strip in the end of the film 2cm long, insert it under the little bridge in the groove of the take up spool, then fold the film back, such that the little strip is like a hook?
Excatly.

michael

aj

Re: reloadable kassema - how to get them to work

Post by aj » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:30 am

quoted instead of edit, deleted double text
Last edited by aj on Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:47 am

How could the upturned edge on a disc on the supply side help stop the take up side from unwinding?
Sorry- I meant it stops the feed side unwinding!

mark