Other Aussie labs to develop 64T?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Patrick

Other Aussie labs to develop 64T?

Post by Patrick » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:50 am

Since Film Plus may or may not develop 64T film, we may as well contact other Aussie labs that are experienced in motion picture cine film developing. Besides, according to the Melbourne super 8 film group, I have heard that the quality of super 8 film developing from Film Plus varies. I have gotten two 16mm films developed by that lab and both turned out fine but maybe I was just lucky. If we could compile a list of the labs in Australia that develop 16mm film (eg for television etc) we could send numerous e-mails and phone calls to each one in the hope that one will succumb and say 'yes.'

Shion

Post by Shion » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:36 pm

It's a pretty short list, going by this link:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/suppo ... 4.13&lc=en
(I'm not even sure if Movielab are still around, but you could try ringing them.)

Apparently, Neglab were considering introducing E6 processing, but I'm not sure what's currently going on there. I doubt they would support Super8 if they did introduce it, but I suppose it would be nice to have 7285 (100D) in 16mm processed locally.

Not long ago, I suggested starting a survey to try and get an idea of just how much support for E6 processing in Oz there would be (i.e, how many people would use it and how much film they'd honestly shoot), before we try 'pressuring' labs into offering it.

I'm not really sure how much of an advantage local processing would be, actually. Super8 cartridges are light enough to post overseas cheaply, and the labs in the U.S. would probably get the job done faster. FilmPlus haven't been particularly quick in my experience, although I haven't needed anything done urgently (so have not tried asking for rush processing, which they might offer). I suspect that movie film processing is not a major money-maker for them, so they only keep that area of their business going because it's well-established and not costing them much to maintain, but that's purely speculation. They certainly didn't hesitate to ditch their VNF processor when Kodak discontinued the VNF films. (I'm in no way criticising them, as I've been satisfied with the work they've done for me so far.)

The pro cine labs, like Atlab and Neglab, are a different story; but they'd need to be convinced that there's a substantial potential market for E6 out there, and I have my doubts as to whether there is one in Australia (although Kodak do sell 5285 here- 100D 35mm). And again, if there is one, I can only see them supporting 16mm/35mm.

By the way, I received the following e-mail from Kodak today, in response to a Plus-X enquiry I sent them recently. I'm sure they won't mind me posting it here:
Thank you for your enquiry on Kodak motion picture film stock.

Kodak Australia only carry the following Super 8 film stock and they are
sold in multiples of five rolls:-

Description Price (Ex GST) Processing
B&W Tri-X Reversal Super 8 $20.00 per roll Film Plus
Kodachrome 40 Super 8 $20.00 per roll Includes processing with 4-5 weeks turnaround time
Ektachrome 64T $20.00 per roll Processed by Yale Film and Video - http://www.yalefilmandvideo.com

With regards to your question on Plus-X Reversal Super 8, there is no plan
in the near future to stock this item but we can definitely bring them in
on a firm order in multiples of five rolls.

Should you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Relations team on 1300 139 795.
So 64T will be easily available here, and Plus-X can be ordered in. I'll enquire about pricing for the latter, and post back if I hear anything.

-Bon

richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:49 pm

Hi there,
Richard Tuohy here in Daylesford Vic.
I too have been putting a lot of energy into finding an e6 solution for us Australians. No existing Aus lab offers ANY colour reversal process FOR MOVIE FILM. BUT!!! E6 is a commonly used still film process and there are many labs that can do the process in short lengths. So ... for super8 at least a still film facility that can handle 50' lengths might be our only hope. Trouble is, Bond colour lab told me that what you need for long lengths is a so called 'roller transport' and while this is a credible option for a still lab to have, none do in Aus... Well not quite none! I have found one in Melbourne. Sean Glaxon at Kodak is going to give me a roll of 64T to test with this e6 lab. Now the guy at the lab is not confident that it will work ... but it might ... or it might with a little modification. Lets hope.
In the mean time, I have organised Pac Lab in New York to process for the Daylesford Super 8 group. They seem to be the most economical of all the USA labs for e6.
On a separate note, I would be interested in getting going a contact e-mail group for super8 users in Aus. In fact, I have set up a Yahoo group - Australiansuper8. It needs people to join it before it would be useful. I haven't advertised it, but now seems like a good time to do so. Join up.
Regards,
Richard Tuohy

xeno_basso

Post by xeno_basso » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:04 pm

I've had no reply from the Leigh Christensen of Kodak whom I was speaking to a few months back regarding the processing of E64T nor the method of getting Plus-X.

I've sent another email and failing that will start ringing.

[/quote]Ektachrome 64T $20.00 per roll Processed by Yale Film and Video - http://www.yalefilmandvideo.com

Bon, is that 20AUS? What about postage?

-john

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:45 pm

All very good points Shion. Though as Richard has pointed out, there are many labs that do E6 processing in this country, including some local pro labs near me. Unfortunately, there are no labs that offer super 8 E6 processing as you know. The only thing that sucks about having to send exposed films off overseas is the risk of them getting lost. I have had one Kodachrome 40 film go missing in the post. The processed film had gotten back from Switzerland and arrived into Australia but according to a lab's records, it went missing somewhere between Melbourne and Adelaide.

Hey that is great news that this Kodak rep has stated that Kodak Australia will be stocking Ektachrome 64T super 8 film. Though I don't want to rejoice too early. We all know that someone at Kodak will confirm something super 8 related and then weeks or months later, someone else at Kodak will say something completely different about the matter.

John_Pytlak

Post by John_Pytlak » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:50 pm

Patrick wrote: Hey that is great news that this Kodak rep has stated that Kodak Australia will be stocking Ektachrome 64T super 8 film. Though I don't want to rejoice too early. We all know that someone at Kodak will confirm something super 8 related and then weeks or months later, someone else at Kodak will say something completely different about the matter.
Communication differences are sometimes due to distance. A Kodak expert in Australia is much more likely to know the local situation for inventory and processing there, than someone (like me) sitting at my computer in Rochester. And that local Kodak expert usually has more information available than someone staffing the routine order desk, although sometimes the order desk person is more adept at finding film "in the system".

And situations change. For example: whether 7245 remains in the catalog depends on future sales volumes, and how well accepted the new 7201 is.
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA

richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:30 am

By the way, I think you have miss read the email that mentioned yale. It was listing the price in aus dollars of kodak stocks in australia ... and it should be read as follows: ectachrome t64 costs $20 (processing available at yale ...). Yale have been charging $19US for 7240. Pac lab i think $14 US.

Shion

Post by Shion » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:28 am

richard p. t. wrote:On a separate note, I would be interested in getting going a contact e-mail group for super8 users in Aus. In fact, I have set up a Yahoo group - Australiansuper8. It needs people to join it before it would be useful. I haven't advertised it, but now seems like a good time to do so. Join up.
Thanks for the info. I'll probably join, although I have a habit of neglecting mailing lists, Yahoo groups, etc. as I much prefer forums. :) How big is Daylesford (population-wise)? It's cool, but surprising to hear that you have a Super 8 users group there. How many members? Makes me wonder if there's such a group in Perth that I don't know about.
Bon, is that 20AUS? What about postage?
Yeah, $20AUS, excluding GST. You buy them in multiples of 5, and in my experience with K40, postage is included. So it's $110 inc. GST for 5 rolls + postage. As Richard has pointed out, that price does not include processing- Yale is just a suggestion as to where the customer could have it processed.

I received another e-mail today, confirming that Plus-X is the same price as the other stocks ($22inc. each, in lots of 5). This announcement was also attached:
Dear Customer,

In May 2005, Kodak announced the future plans for the S8 product portfolio. EASTMAN KODAK remains committed to providing S8 camera users a range of products and creative choices. As such, Kodak has added a new color reversal film to its Super 8 portfolio. The super-saturated, fine grain KODAK EKTACHROME 64T Color Reversal Film 7280 will be available in Australia at the beginning of October 1 2005.

The list price for Kodak S8 Ektachrome 64T Color Reversal is AUD$20.00 (GST exclusive) and will be sold in minimum and multiple of five rolls as we currently do with both our Super 8 products. Processing of the new S8 Ektachrome 64T will not be covered in the purchased price as it was for the Kodachrome stocks. Please find listed below the name of two Kodak recommended labs in United States:-

Dwayne's Photo
PO Box 274 - for mailing
415 S 32nd ST - for shipping Fed Ex or UPS
Parsons, KS 67357
Phone 620-421-3940
Fax 620-421-3174

Yale Film and Video
10555 Victory Blvd
North Hollywood, CA 91606
(818) 508-9253
http://www.yalefilmandvideo.com
info@yalefilmandvideo.com

Within the current Super 8 portfolio, customers will also find the latest VISION2 technologies in 200T and 500T speeds, which incorporate the highest quality images, improved sharpness and grain, along with a full systems approach, optimizing the entire imaging chain. These two products are non-stock in Australia as there is no processing available in this region. We would bring them in on a firm order of 20 rolls with the understanding that the customer NOT Kodak will be responsible for the processing.

In addition, two black and white reversal films are available, in medium and high speeds covering a range of exposures. Kodak Australia only carry inventory of the B&W Tri-X Reversal and they are sold in minimum and multiple of five rolls @ AUD$20.00

As part of the portfolio revamp, Kodak will discontinue sales of S8 Kodachrome Movie film. Final sales of Kodachrome S8 will be based on product availability and in Australia we should have inventory to cover another 3-6 months. Kodak will give customers at least a year to process their Kodachrome Super 8 film with Kodak or to seek an alternative.

As a Company, we remain committed to the Super 8 formant and to the unique look Kodak film provides. We appreciate that the discontinuance of Kodachrome 40 Movie Film may create a hardship for you, but we hope that with this notice, we can help you overcome any of your concerns as well as determine which Kodak products would provide the most satisfying alternative.

We thank you for your continued patronage of the Kodak Super 8 products and should you have any further queries regards the availability of these products or processing details please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Relations team on 1300 139 795.

Yours faithfully
KODAK (Australasia) Pty Ltd

Sean Glasson
General Manager
Kodak Entertainment Imaging
Australia and New Zealand
No price given for the neg stocks, but I'd guess it would still be $27.50 each.

-Bon

John_Pytlak

Post by John_Pytlak » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:03 am

Sean's a "good guy" and works closely with customers "down under". He's the best guide to availability of film and processing in Australia.

http://www.kodak.com/AU/en/motion/;jses ... stid=20584

Likewise, get to know your local Kodak technical representative, who can help you choose the best film and post production options:

http://www.kodak.com/AU/en/motion/about ... 4.16&lc=en
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA

xeno_basso

Post by xeno_basso » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:32 pm

My source at Kodak confirms that Neglab WON'T be offering local E64T processing.
:cry:

He's also confirmed that PLUS-X can be purchased as indicated for 22/roll with a minimum order of 5. I believe if you are patient and let Kodak do "their thing" it will be posted out to you in about 3 to 4 weeks.

If you want it quicker, expect a hefty postage charge. I understand that they don't stock it here, most likely because the inventory people didn't know it even existed:!: In any case, if the orders start trickling thru, they will be prepared to hold 15 to 20 carts locally.

I only hope that FilmPlus will process the new emulsion. I'm still using the old I got from Kodak, NY when I was there in '99 - don't laugh, its many years old (I bought 20 carts) and have used a couple a year and they still look great. Kept chilled of course.

my 2c.

-john.

Shion

Post by Shion » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:27 am

Hi John,

I only just saw your latest post in this thread- thanks for the update.

Did your source say whether Neglab would be doing E6 processing of larger formats?
xeno_basso wrote:I only hope that FilmPlus will process the new emulsion. I'm still using the old I got from Kodak, NY when I was there in '99 - don't laugh, its many years old (I bought 20 carts) and have used a couple a year and they still look great. Kept chilled of course.
You mean Plus-X? I can't see why the new emulsion would be a problem. Another forum member here (+AnonymousGuest+) had some processed by FilmPlus, and said they turned out great. Have you been having your older carts processed there?

-Bon