Small gauge film forum Festival?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

TomFoolery

Small gauge film forum Festival?

Post by TomFoolery » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:32 pm

So, talk on another thread http://www.filmshooting.com./scripts/fo ... hp?t=10541 revealed that some of us have films showing in the same festival this weekend...
It got me thinking. Why not a program from filmmakers on this forum? I've seen a bit of peoples work from directing us to their websites, etc, and I think we could really put together a kick ass program.
This is what I propose. I teach and curate screenings at the Detroit Film Center http://www.detroitfilm.org/. I would be willing to take submissions and put together a program from those on this forum. All films would have to be shot on small gauge. If there are enought submissions, we could even have multiple screening programs for different genres (experimental, comedy, underground, drama, etc.)
This could be a traveling program featuring great work being done on small gauge film! I know others on this board have screenings, and I have connections with other festivals, organizations that would love to show a program like this. It would be non-competitive, other than competing (and winning!) over those that push stale video. :wink:
So what do you think? Give me some feedback, this can and should be a collaborative effort.
All that is, is light.

sooper8fan

Post by sooper8fan » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:37 pm

I think it's a great idea...kind of a motivator also...it might actually get my butt moving in the right direction! Keep pushing it, maybe it could happen! Best of luck!
photo site: http://www.zelophoto.com
photo blog: http://www.zelophotoblog.com

ccortez

Re: Small gauge film forum Festival?

Post by ccortez » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:34 pm

TomFoolery wrote: This could be a traveling program featuring great work being done on small gauge film!
Like the Lost Film Festival, except for small-gauge. Cool idea. I'd submit something...

CHAS

Post by CHAS » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:56 pm

A great idea. I put on shows at the Echo Park Film Center occasionally and they are extremely pro-Super-8 -- they would screen a program like this in a heartbeat.

http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/

It would be cool to see other people's work!

ccortez

Post by ccortez » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:02 pm

CHAS wrote:A great idea. I put on shows at the Echo Park Film Center occasionally and they are extremely pro-Super-8 -- they would screen a program like this in a heartbeat.

http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/

It would be cool to see other people's work!
Nice. My wife and I had house guests this week that live in/near echo park. Had no idea they had a film center...

yerzmyey

Post by yerzmyey » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:23 pm

it's a cool idea, although - if the film can be recorded from Super8 into a computer format or should it be real S8 format?
Best wishes,
Yerz

TomFoolery

Post by TomFoolery » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:44 pm

Well, at DFC we have good film projectors, and I always prefer to show films over a video dub. However, for sense of flow and dependability for a short film program with a lot of entries, I think a master mini dv of the program(s) would be best. Especially if this becomes a traveling program. So I think the best would be for submissions to be on digital format, which I think most here already do for non-linear computer editing.
All that is, is light.

Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:20 pm

I would submit a few shorts. Tape submissions are the way to go as I don't want to send a print and have it stay out for so long, and most of my shorts are posted in video anyway. If you mastered the entire program(s) onto single miniDV tapes/DVDs it would also be inexpensive to ship from location to location. Perhaps with a VHS back-up as miniDV and DVDs do not always play well from deck-to-deck.

Great idea. Pulse of Life (time lapse project) could also be in the program.

Rick

TomFoolery

Post by TomFoolery » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:35 pm

Yes, Pulse of Life would be a great addition. Maybe even the latest version if the editing ever gets done :wink: . Also, half (at least) of the money made at the door of these screenings would go to this website as a donation.
All that is, is light.

TomFoolery

Post by TomFoolery » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:46 pm

Wow, maybe there isn't enough interest to do this. Could we have a show of hands, to see who would enter a film into something like this.
so far,
1. sooper8fan
2. ccortez
3. Rick Palidwor
4. Maybe myself (I never put my work in programs I'm putting together, but this is kinda different).

There would not be a submission fees, and mini dv tapes would be returned if you provide a sase.
All that is, is light.

kettuz

Post by kettuz » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:51 pm

Well, I could certainly send my short film, but as I just yesterday finished shooting it and since I haven't done any post production yet (incl. dubbing), it won't be finished for some time...

Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:25 pm

I'd definitely enter 1 or 2 shorts.

CHAS

Post by CHAS » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:34 pm

TomFoolery wrote:Wow, maybe there isn't enough interest to do this. Could we have a show of hands, to see who would enter a film into something like this.
so far,
1. sooper8fan
2. ccortez
3. Rick Palidwor
4. Maybe myself (I never put my work in programs I'm putting together, but this is kinda different).

There would not be a submission fees, and mini dv tapes would be returned if you provide a sase.
Guess I didn't show enough interest...YES, I would like to submit one or two shorts.

TomFoolery

Post by TomFoolery » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:52 pm

Guess I didn't show enough interest...YES, I would like to submit one or two shorts.
Cool, I got you down as a screening venue, but wasn't sure if you wanted to submit.

Given kettuz situation (along with many others, I’m sure) and sooper8fan's sentiments of it being a good motivator, it would be best to set a submissions deadline far down the line (but not too far as to loose interest). So I'm proposing that the deadline will be Saturday, December 31st 2005.
Make it a resolution to submit a film!
All that is, is light.

ccortez

Post by ccortez » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:00 pm

I can commit to a submission by 12/31/05. Count me in.